Does PKHeX only work on emulators or does it also work on physical copies? If so, how?

Nexus_Neo

I have no idea if this is the right place to put this but it's kinda confusing for me so I'm just putting it in general discussions.

I've seen a lot of this but each video I see of tutorials on how pkhex works it only seems to be on emulators instead of the actual physical copies themselves.

Does it work on said copies or no? And if so how do you hook it up to your gameboy/DS/3DS/switch?

As long as you can dump your saves, and copy them to the PC, regardless of the save originating from emulators or physical carts, PKHeX will read the save.

Of course, we are talking about standard Pokémon games.
PKHeX won't be 100% functional when it comes to saves from ROM hacks.

33 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

As long as you can dump your saves, and copy them to the PC, regardless of the save originating from emulators or physical carts, PKHeX will read the save.

Of course, we are talking about standard Pokémon games.
PKHeX won't be 100% functional when it comes to saves from ROM hacks.

No rom hacks. Just regular pokemon games.

How do you get it from the cartridge to the PC then?

Just now, Nexus_Neo said:

No rom hacks. Just regular pokemon games.

How do you get it from the cartridge to the PC then?

https://projectpokemon.org/tutorials/

The save editing portion of our tutorials has "managing x saves", where x is the device the game run out,
then inside the link it'll show you what you need.

There's usually multiple ways to dump a save, so it really depends on what you have on hand, or what you're willing to buy.

19 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

https://projectpokemon.org/tutorials/

The save editing portion of our tutorials has "managing x saves", where x is the device the game run out,
then inside the link it'll show you what you need.

There's usually multiple ways to dump a save, so it really depends on what you have on hand, or what you're willing to buy.

I'm gonna be fully honest here

Im not that bright when it comes to technical things. I'm more of a step by step person.

That being said first and foremost, do I need like a special cord or cartridge to get it from system to PC?

Cause right now I have a gameboy, DS, 3DS, and a switch with all the mainline pokemon games starting from firered and leafgreen to soon to be sword and shield once I figure out how to do this all.

21 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Why don't you start with one device first, tell me which device that is.

Alright. Seeing as I'm working from bottom to top, let's start with my GBA games. Pokemon firered, leafgreen, ruby, emerald, and sapphire

2 hours ago, Nexus_Neo said:

Alright. Seeing as I'm working from bottom to top, let's start with my GBA games. Pokemon firered, leafgreen, ruby, emerald, and sapphire

As per our tutorial for GBA games:
image.png

Looks at the options on the left.
There is Using GBA Backup Tool and Using Emulators.

Since you're on retail cart, we agree that Using Emulators doesn't apply to you, right?
Thus the only option would be to go to Using GBA Backup Tool.

Next, do you have a DS/DS lite and a DS Flashcart? Those are required for one method to dump GBA games (as seen in the first paragraph of the tutorial.)
If you don't, you need to get a Retron 5.

Now tell me, do you have either?

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

As per our tutorial for GBA games:
image.png

Looks at the options on the left.
There is Using GBA Backup Tool and Using Emulators.

Since you're on retail cart, we agree that Using Emulators doesn't apply to you, right?
Thus the only option would be to go to Using GBA Backup Tool.

Next, do you have a DS/DS lite and a DS Flashcart? Those are required for one method to dump GBA games (as seen in the first paragraph of the tutorial.)
If you don't, you need to get a Retron 5.

Now tell me, do you have either?

I have a Ds lite. As for flashcard, no idea what that is so I'm assuming no. But I will putretron 5 on my shopping list

3 hours ago, Nexus_Neo said:

I have a Ds lite. As for flashcard, no idea what that is so I'm assuming no. But I will putretron 5 on my shopping list

Yeah Retron 5 is good for GB/GBC/GBA dumping.

You may also want to hack your 3DS, cause that's good for dumping 3DS and NDS save files from carts.

On 4/5/2020 at 12:01 AM, theSLAYER said:

Yeah Retron 5 is good for GB/GBC/GBA dumping.

You may also want to hack your 3DS, cause that's good for dumping 3DS and NDS save files from carts.

I have no idea how to do that

Also I don't like messing with things I know nothing about for fears of breaking it-

13 hours ago, Nexus_Neo said:

Also I don't like messing with things I know nothing about for fears of breaking it-

Presently, there's no other that allows for importing and exporting all 3DS saves.

So if you want to manipulate 3DS saves on the carts, you need to do it.
Guide for that is here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Doesn't require a "bright" person. Just a lot of patience. Adequate for a "step by step person" :D

17 hours ago, Nexus_Neo said:

Can confirm that following the guide at https://3ds.hacks.guide/ isn't that hard. If you're worried about bricking your 3DS, loose ones aren't all that much on ebay. You could always buy a spare to be your hacked one. If you can get CFW going on a 3DS that will give you access to your Gen 4, 5, 6 & 7 saves so it really is worth it. Not to mention if you've still got saves from Gen 1 & 2, you can even send them to the Bank with a bit of tinkering.

For Gen 3 you don't need to hack anything, you just need a flashcart. My personal recommendation would be the R4i Gold 3DS Plus (https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575). It will also help you out greatly if you do decide to install CFW on your 3DS.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 4:05 PM, theSLAYER said:

Presently, there's no other that allows for importing and exporting all 3DS saves.

So if you want to manipulate 3DS saves on the carts, you need to do it.
Guide for that is here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Doesn't require a "bright" person. Just a lot of patience. Adequate for a "step by step person" :D

Alright thanks. I'll look into that when I get my computer fixed.

So... That's all for D's/gameboy/3ds so what about switch games?

1 hour ago, Nexus_Neo said:

Alright thanks. I'll look into that when I get my computer fixed.

So... That's all for D's/gameboy/3ds so what about switch games?

If you're concerned about playing around with the 3DS, extracting a sword/shield save from a Switch is a whole other league. There is also significant risk that you'll be banned when you inject the modified save back into the Switch. I would try the 3DS first and leave the Switch for another day.

@Nexus_Neo what ^ said.

besides some manipulation that I myself do not know how to do, the only other way to export and import saves for the Switch, is hacking your Switch.
As long as you have a hackable Switch, there is a simple guide to follow.

But the tough part is your Switch can get banned, as long as server detects any CFW is detected on it.
Some people decided to stay offline forever to prevent that.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:09 PM, theSLAYER said:

@Nexus_Neo what ^ said.

besides some manipulation that I myself do not know how to do, the only other way to export and import saves for the Switch, is hacking your Switch.
As long as you have a hackable Switch, there is a simple guide to follow.

But the tough part is your Switch can get banned, as long as server detects any CFW is detected on it.
Some people decided to stay offline forever to prevent that.

I don't play online anyway cause I refuse to pay for internet I already paid for.

But yeah I'll wait. First I just wanna do the gameboy, D's, and 3ds