A Few Things I'd Love to see Implemented

Omegawolfcat

Heya all!

I've been absolutely loving PkHex, with it speeding up transferring my Pokemon from older games by literally hours.

So, thank you for that.

However, there are numerous avenues for improvement, in my opinion, which I would love to see traveled down.

1. Global Box Operations:
    This one I'm surprised hasn't been implemented, especially as the wording of the operations make it seem as though they have, such as selecting "Sort Boxes" which I'd imagine would sort all the boxes, however it simply only sorts the currently selected box as far as I can see.
    This is available in PKSM and there's a sorter for Gen5 in a pinch, but it would be nice to have this feature implemented into PKHex itself and would save even more time.
  2. Event/Encounter Database Drag & Drop:
    This is a small QOL change I'd love to see, cutting out the middleman of first selecting "view" and then placing the Mon into a slot.
  3. Download Section Copy and Paste:
    This is for the website, more than for the program, but having copy and pasteable "Showdown" text added for each of the PK file downloads would be glorious.
    While it is nice having an actual folder full of PK files for each generation (I think most Pokemon fans have that "sweet tooth" for having things in a collection), sometimes it's nice to save time and prevent clutter.
    I understand the ship may have sailed on this one, as it would require going back and adding the text in for all the hundreds of download's descriptions, the end user time saved being far less than the labor put into the addition, I still thought it might be worthwhile to mention it.
  4. Go Converter:
    For a LGPE save in the Tools menu. There are numerous apps that grant you the exact IVs of Pokemon in Pokemon Go, and being able to enter in the Species, CP, Attack, Stamina, Defense, Form and Shininess of a Go Pokemon and having the tool output a Mon converted in the same manner as the Go Park would do could be nice. An optional ability to have the Speed IVs based on the Stamina, rather than being random could be sweet as well.
    (Speaking of this... Has there ever been an attempt to take advantage of the connection between Go and LGPE? A program that could utilize a bluetooth device to act as though it were a copy of LGPE so that one can transfer Pokemon straight to a PC could be amazing)

And that's all I've got for now. These are just some suggestions and I wanted to get them down in text, as I've been thinking about them for a while now.

Again, thanks for a great tool that has enriched my recent marathon of all the games to no end. ^_^

Edited by Omegawolfcat

While the rest looks like interesting requests, this is one you need clarification on:

6 minutes ago, Omegawolfcat said:

Go Converter:
For a LGPE save in the Tools menu. There are numerous apps that grant you the exact IVs of Pokemon in Pokemon Go, and being able to enter in the Species, CP, Attack, Stamina, Defense, Form and Shininess of a Go Pokemon and having the tool output a Mon converted in the same manner as the Go Park would do could be nice. An optional ability to have the Speed IVs based on the Stamina, rather than being random could be sweet as well.
(Speaking of this... Has there ever been an attempt to take advantage of the connection between Go and LGPE? A program that could utilize a bluetooth device to act as though it were a copy of LGPE so that one can transfer Pokemon straight to a PC could be amazing)

GP1 files can be dragged into your PC box/viewer, and PKHeX will convert them to mon. That functionality already exists.
You can then change the IVs however you want, as long as the combination you change to are legal.

Also, attempting to hijack into GO via Bluetooth has absolutely nothing to do with PKHeX.
I do not think it has been done, probably because it really depends on what needs to be sent to GO's servers from the Switch.
If it requires authentic certificates from the Switch, I doubt it would be done. Let's stop going off topic now 😜

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

While the rest looks like interesting requests, this is one you need clarification on:

Thanks. ^_^

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

GP1 files can be dragged into your PC box/viewer, and PKHeX will convert them to mon. That functionality already exists.
You can then change the IVs however you want, as long as the combination you change to are legal.

Again, it's more about cutting out the middleman of requiring the GP1 files in the first place, or integrating the GP1 Editor program directly into PKHex, as it really seems like something that should go with the LGPE functionality, in my mind at least.

8 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Also, attempting to hijack into GO via Bluetooth has absolutely nothing to do with PKHeX.

I do not think it has been done, probably because it really depends on what needs to be sent to GO's servers from the Switch.
If it requires authentic certificates from the Switch, I doubt it would be done. Let's stop going off topic now 😜

Yeah, sorry, was just a thought and not meant for PKHeX. :P

9 minutes ago, Omegawolfcat said:

Again, it's more about cutting out the middleman of requiring the GP1 files in the first place, or integrating the GP1 Editor program directly into PKHex, as it really seems like something that should go with the LGPE functionality, in my mind at least.

But why would you need to do that? Besides being able to view the stats when dumping, PKHeX can also dump GP1 straight, and can import the GP1 into the box.

If you replace GP1 with PK7 for the statement I just said:

PKHeX can also dump PK7 straight, and can import the PK7 into the box.

Doesn't it sound exactly the same as how PKHeX normally works?

To be clear, when I said "GP1 files can be dragged into your PC box/viewer" in my previous post, I literally meant it goes into your PC, not that it goes back to GO park to be caught...

Or what else do you want. Press a button and everything in GO Park gets magically imported into your PC? 🤔

I know you said "you wanna cut out the requirement of needing GP1", but how is that any different from PK7?

Ultimately, it's just a file format that you export out so that others can use it.
As a matter of fact GP1 has more uses, since it can be inserted into GO Park, or inserted directly into the box...

9 minutes ago, Omegawolfcat said:

or integrating the GP1 Editor program directly into PKHex, as it really seems like something that should go with the LGPE functionality, in my mind at least.

As the creator of GP1 Editor, I can safely say I have no idea how to do that.
Plus having an extra editor in PKHeX, doesn't that sound more like introducing a middleman?

Hmm... I think there's a breakdown of communication, but I'm not quite positive where. :/

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

But why would you need to do that? Besides being able to view the stats when dumping, PKHeX can also dump GP1 straight, and can import the GP1 into the box.

If you replace GP1 with PK7 for the statement I just said:

Doesn't it sound exactly the same as how PKHeX normally works?

Why:
Speeding up the process.
Cutting Go Park, and maybe even LGPE, out of the Equation entirely.
On the fly stat translation.
Unification of functionality.

That Translation of Go to PK7 by simply entering in the stats and generating the Pokemon without transferring to LGPE, all under the same roof, so to speak.

10 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Or what else do you want. Press a button and everything in GO Park gets magically imported into your PC? 🤔

Minus the magic, having it read the Go Park and move, or copy, the Mons directly to the save's boxes would be a wonderful feature. Never been a fan of the Pokemon Company's thing with re-catching minigames. 😒

16 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I know you said "you wanna cut out the requirement of needing GP1", but how is that any different from PK7?

Ultimately, it's just a file format that you export out so that others can use it.
As a matter of fact GP1 has more uses, since it can be inserted into GO Park, or inserted directly into the box...

As the creator of GP1 Editor, I can safely say I have no idea how to do that.
Plus having an extra editor in PKHeX, doesn't that sound more like introducing a middleman?

Again, I think it's more of a breakdown of communication here.
What I'm suggesting is being able to enter the GO stats in a tool menu and having it output the translated Pokemon to the current Pokemon "view", thus seeing if it's legal and then setting it to the Box.

11 minutes ago, Omegawolfcat said:

That Translation of Go to PK7 by simply entering in the stats and generating the Pokemon without transferring to LGPE, all under the same roof, so to speak.

If I understand you right, you're saying "from GO (the mobile app) to PK7 (save)",
as opposed to GO -> GO Park (save) or GO -> Home -> save

If so, "integrating GP1 editor" and "removing GP1 entirely" would not deal with this.
And if so, you're out of your mind. Would require figuring out how to hack to GO (their servers) first.
Thus, unrelated to PKHeX until that time.

Until any external developers figure out how to hack into GO servers, what you're asking for is nothing short of magic.

12 minutes ago, Omegawolfcat said:

Never been a fan of the Pokemon Company's thing with re-catching minigames.

that I agree with.

18 minutes ago, Omegawolfcat said:

Again, I think it's more of a breakdown of communication here.
What I'm suggesting is being able to enter the GO stats in a tool menu and having it output the translated Pokemon to the current Pokemon "view", thus seeing if it's legal and then setting it to the Box.

I actually had a response for something similar to this on the first segment of this post, but I shifted it down cause it is more appropriate here:

If you're asking for "recreation based on stats" type of thing, where you can just use stats from GO for PKHeX to recreate a mon,
then what I can say is: I am not sure what the summary screen shows on GO is enough.

Purely for the sake of accurate recreations: the height and weight there is truncated/rounded, you need to use another mobile app to figure out the level of the mon.
Whatever floats your boat, I guess XD

Though, I can see why gp1editor being merged into PKHeX would make the above be doable.
Except, I've got no idea how to program in C# (gp1editor was made in VB.net), nor do I know how to create a plugin for PKHeX.

Given such a thing isn't one of the features where the demand is a high priority, I'm not certain it'll get done. Well, one can dream (and request it) :)

As what was once mentioned for generation of legal PIDs for Gen 3/4 or handling of Gen 3 Mystery Gift importing, there's no need to add support for it when...

On 1/29/2018 at 4:00 PM, Kaphotics said:

when other programs do.

(also related to adding features)

On 12/17/2017 at 1:31 PM, Kaphotics said:

Other programs already support editing these things (PokeStock can do all the above), hence it is not a priority for me. Current generation games end up taking most if not all of my time devoted, but I do accept pull requests / revisions if anyone else wants to add the functionality themselves.

14 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

If I understand you right, you're saying "from GO (the mobile app) to PK7 (save)",
as opposed to GO -> GO Park (save) or GO -> Home -> save

If so, "integrating GP1 editor" and "removing GP1 entirely" would not deal with this.
And if so, you're out of your mind. Would require figuring out how to hack to GO (their servers) first.
Thus, unrelated to PKHeX until that time.

Until any external developers figure out how to hack into GO servers, what you're asking for is nothing short of magic.

No, not at all.

I'm saying using an app such as Calcy IV to get the stats and attributes directly from GO, type them into PKHeX and the output the Pokemon into the Pokemon view, which can then be moved to the box if the user is satisfied.
Nothing more, nothing less. 😅

Okay, so there was indeed a breakdown in communication. I'm sorry.

14 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

(also related to adding features)

I'm also useless in programming, I'm still not even sure how to compile anything from GITHub yet. 😂
Though I'm learning, slowly but surely.

The main thing is the suggestions are down now, so if anyone has the know-how, or I gain it later on, or Kaphotic considers something up there a good idea, they can see what I suggested. :)

Edited by Omegawolfcat
  • Like 1

1. Already works. See shortcuts.

Right click on Box Tab: Clear/Sort/Modify Box contents. Hold shift when selecting the action to apply to ALL boxes.

2. Drag and drop only applies to pkm/wc files, not encounter templates. You can still control & shift click between windows. Encounter templates have no byte[] data.

3. Showdown text does not accurately convey all details about a pkm. Keep in mind that the encounter database exists, and can easily search all encounters.

4. Separate program can generate {nothing}->gp1 data. PKHeX doesn't have a wondercard editor, as it is outside the purpose of the program.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 5:09 PM, Kaphotics said:

1. Already works. See shortcuts.

Awesomeness! Thanks!
It's a bit of a strange design choice though, a separate option wouldn't take up too much space and would be more accessible. Admittedly it's my fault for not looking closely enough though.

2. Drag and drop only applies to pkm/wc files, not encounter templates. You can still control & shift click between windows. Encounter templates have no byte[] data.

All the data necessary to generate it on the fly is there though, since you can do that with one extra step in anycase, so I don't see why it would be an issue. 🤔

3. Showdown text does not accurately convey all details about a pkm. Keep in mind that the encounter database exists, and can easily search all encounters.

Makes sense. 👍

4. Separate program can generate {nothing}->gp1 data. PKHeX doesn't have a wondercard editor, as it is outside the purpose of the program.

I don't know... I see it as lacking for no real reason, when it's part of the main functionality of the games the program handles.
Still, I understand the lack of overall importance compared with other features that are being worked on.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. 😃