Help with Hex Editing

Hello! this is my first post in this community. I've downloaded a hex editor in order to edit the initial savegame file for Let's Go Pikachu, following this guide: 

The thing is I've never done hex editing before. I wanted to modify the Pikachu's gender, since the savegame I got here made it female. In the past I modified it directly using PkHex after obtaining it, but I found out that the home screen will always display the female version no matter what with this method. Now I'm willing to learn some hex editing for various reason and I tried searching for the starter gender value (0x10B9). The problem is that it doesn't find any value with "x" in it. I think I'm missing some crucial data that doesn't allow me to understand the guide. Could someone please help me with this?

You can even provide guides for me to read, if you don't want to write it out yourself.

20 minutes ago, GoldenMew666 said:

The problem is that it doesn't find any value with "x" in it

Erm. What?

Simply put, the values are 0 or 1 in hexadecimal. there is no "value with "x" in it".

The "x" in 0x00 or 0x01 is a representation, to show that the value is in hexadecimal.
For example, if I simply type 16, I could confuse some, as 16 in decimal isn't the same as 16 in hexadecimal.

23 minutes ago, GoldenMew666 said:

The thing is I've never done hex editing before.

The fact that I had to explain what I meant, let's just chock if up to that XD

Also, the thing about hex editing, if you're modifying the values,
each half byte/nibble has the range of 0 to 15 in decimal (which is 0 to F in hexadecimal).

Hex values don't have an "x", and will not present as an "x" in the hex values portion :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Erm. What?

Simply put, the values are 0 or 1 in hexadecimal. there is no "value with "x" in it".

The "x" in 0x00 or 0x01 is a representation, to show that the value is in hexadecimal.
For example, if I simply type 16, I could confuse some, as 16 in decimal isn't the same as 16 in hexadecimal.

The fact that I had to explain what I meant, let's just chock if up to that XD

Also, the thing about hex editing, if you're modifying the values,
each half byte/nibble has the range of 0 to 15 in decimal (which is 0 to F in hexadecimal).

Hex values don't have an "x", and will not present as an "x" in the hex values portion :)

Thanks for your answer. Let's see if I understood it.

So, if I wanted to search 0x10B9, should I just search for 10B9? 

3 minutes ago, GoldenMew666 said:

Thanks for your answer. Let's see if I understood it.

So, if I wanted to search 0x10B9, should I just search for 10B9? 

In this case, 0x10B9 is an address. (I also give locations in their hexademical representation, cause most hex editors have the locations represented as hex values by default)

So go to that location, then change the value at that location.

If you are using HxD, Control G should pop-up a window that will direct you to that location
image.png

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

In this case, 0x10B9 is an address. (I also give locations in their hexademical representation, cause most hex editors have the locations represented as hex values in default)

So go to that location, then change the value at that location.

If you are using HxD, Control G should pop-up a window that will go to that location
image.png

Thank you very much. I'm using HxD, yes. I managed to find the value, edit it and so on. I tested and, of course, it's working.

• Like 1