Safest Way To Change Trainer Name Legally?

mranonymous

Hello:

I bought a copy of Pokemon Ultra Moon, and I want to keep the save data they used but change the trainer name with PKHex. I want to do this so it passes legality checks.

I cannot seem to find the exact info I need online. I found a guide, but don't quite understand it.

In PKHex, I notice 2 areas with Trainer info: The OT/Misc tab, and the "SAV" tab, which has the Trainer Info button. Both of these let you change trainer info.

Which of these should I use to change the name? Also, do I need to worry about the "Latest (Not OT) Handler" field?

Thank you

Changing the name in the SAV field changes the trainer name. When you catch a Pokemon going forward it will have the trainer name you chose. 

Changing it in the OT/Misc section is Pokemon specific to a Pokemon being edited. 

For example: After you change the name in SAV, right click a Pokemon and choose ‘View’, then update the trainer name, and right click the Pokemon you just chose view on and choose ‘set’. This will override the Pokemon in that slot with the updated trainer name. 

Edited by M109A6
Fixing grammatical errors.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, M109A6 said:

Changing the name in the SAV field changes the trainer name. When you catch a Pokemon going forward it will have the trainer name you chose. 

Changing it in the OT/Misc section is Pokemon specific to a Pokemon being edited. 

For example: After you change the name in SAV, right click a Pokemon and choose ‘View’, then update the trainer name, and right click the Pokemon you just chose view on and choose ‘set’. This will override the Pokemon in that slot with the updated trainer name. 

Awesome, thank you.

So for the SAV field, it will only affect newly caught Pokemon and not the ones already unlocked?

There are hundreds of Pokemon unlocked in this cart, so is there a quick way to assign the trainer name to every single one of the previously unlocked ones? Or do you need to choose the "set" function for them one by one?

5 hours ago, mranonymous said:

Awesome, thank you.

So for the SAV field, it will only affect newly caught Pokemon and not the ones already unlocked?

There are hundreds of Pokemon unlocked in this cart, so is there a quick way to assign the trainer name to every single one of the previously unlocked ones? Or do you need to choose the "set" function for them one by one?

Looks like the easiest way is to select Tools > Data > Batch Editor then choose OT_Name, select Add, then put in the name.

Example: 
.OT_Name=NewTrainer

Select run and it should update the name for all Pokemon in Boxes or Party, whichever tab is chosen. If you want to do both then you'll have to have Boxes selected and choose Run, then select Part and click Run again.

As always, be sure to make a backup before you make any changes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M109A6 said:

Looks like the easiest way is to select Tools > Data > Batch Editor then choose OT_Name, select Add, then put in the name.

Example: 
.OT_Name=NewTrainer

Select run and it should update the name for all Pokemon in Boxes or Party, whichever tab is chosen. If you want to do both then you'll have to have Boxes selected and choose Run, then select Part and click Run again.

As always, be sure to make a backup before you make any changes.

Perfect! Thanks so much for your help. Will give this a try in a bit