Editing the egg seed to advance your frame?

Farfetchd

Hi, 

I'm trying to skip over the hundreds of eggs I'd need to accept and reject to get to my target frame. I thought it'd be as easy as simply copying the egg seed that is listed in RNGTool to be your current egg seed, but... it's not. At all. The frames just disappear and change completely. Is this not possible to do?

2 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

Depends which game.

For games with seeds that are advanced, then you can just replace the seed, like you are describing.

I'm trying it in Ultra Moon. I basically looked at the 3DSRNGTool seeds listed on the right of my normal results, then copied the four parts and injected them into my save's eggseed field. However, when I then search again with the new seed, it doesn't show those shiny frames very closeby as it should. Any idea why, by chance?

Also, since you know so much about basically every game, I wanna take the chance to ask if I understand this correctly? Me injecting the egg seed is essentially just skipping the advances, right? I don't change the seed itself or how it is generated (in the future), I just cut out the work? The Pokemon themselves are as how the game would generate them without any interference?

Edited by Farfetchd

1 minute ago, Kaphotics said:

Depends how you're inserting the seed; the "four parts". PKHeX displays it as one number; you'd have to check how 3DSRNGTool is presenting the 128bit value and ensure you're importing it correctly.

The tool divides the seed into four sections. Though they're numbered in a non-linear order in the program, the actual order of how they're displayed (i.e. the 3rd part is listed first) is the same order as how it'd be listed in PKHeX; I know this because I RNG'd a shiny before I touched the egg-seed field at all, where the first 8 numbers of the egg seed are the 3rd part etc.

So, assuming I do this appropriately, the seed would be "legitimate" and not disrupt how the game continues the seed? Like, my thought is this: I take my legitimate egg seed, advance the game to the shiny frames by inserting the appropriate seed, then hatch the shiny; now, after my target egg, obviously the seed continues, and I was wondering if that is not affected by me cutting out parts of the seed/cut out the advances. 

Or, to phrase my core concern simpler: 

If I inject a seed that is part of my legitimate egg seed to skip a lot of accepting/rejecting eggs, will that affect the seed's generation in an illegitimate way? Or will it continue to generate/operate as if never touched?

If I inject a seed that is part of my legitimate egg seed to skip a lot of accepting/rejecting eggs, will that affect the seed's generation in an illegitimate way? Or will it continue to generate/operate as if never touched?

You can have any seed, and they advance in a predictable fashion. You'll be fine with any seed you inject, even randomly entered ones.

2 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

You can have any seed, and they advance in a predictable fashion. You'll be fine with any seed you inject, even randomly entered ones.

I don't really understand that, I apologize! 

I thought the seed is essentially infinitely generated once the Pokemon are put into the Nursery, so wouldn't that mean some random seed I entered in would not necessarily be part of that organically generated string of billions of seeds? I mean, maybe it could be by chance, but you know... 

My thought was that if I look at my seed (unedited), then enter the seed that gives me a shiny, my game would still be within the same sort of procedure as if I had just manually accepted and rejected eggs, does that make sense? I know that may seem odd considering I'm already editing my file, but while I like convenience I don't wanna have Pokemon that wouldn't be generated like this by the game normally, so I'm just a bit confused/worried if I can proceed with this approach.

Try thinking of it like this:

Each value (in this case the seed you chose) is a point on the perimeter of a circle. By selecting a "seed" you are starting in a specific spot. and by advancing the seed you are moving to the next consecutive value along the circle. The values are not arranged in order (0, 1, 2...) as you move around the circle. They appear random when you only see a few frames (when advancing the seed following the algorithm} but every value from 0 to x( where x is determined by the precision of the algorithm) exists on the crircle. 1 byte precision allows for 256 points on the circle 2 bytes allows 65536, etc. In SWSH the algorithm has 8 byte precision. which allows for 18 quintilion points.

What kaphotics means when he says "they advance in a predictable fashion" he means, if you know the algorithm you can predict the next vslue if you know the current one.

I hope this helps.