Several questions (PkHex / CFW)

JAndy

I recently got a New 2DS XL to play Pokemon Moon on. Because I still had enough on my Nintendo account (already had a Switch), I bought the digital version of the game, rather than a cartridge. If I understand correctly, the save data for that game is stored on the SD card.

I tried putting the SD card into my computer and opening any SAV files I could find on it with PkHex, but none worked. I assume I need to eff around with custom firmware stuff to even generate a savefile PkHex can recognise?

I hope to still be able to use the Pokemon Bank to transfer Pokemon to Sword/Shield with in the future, which is why I'd only use PkHex to backup and restore legitimately caught Pokemon. If I do eff around with custom firmware, will that still be possible?

On https://3ds.hacks.guide/ it says "firmware 11.13.0 or below". In the settings of my console it says "11.13.0-45E". Does that "-45E" at the end still count as 11.13.0 or is that already above?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, JAndy said:

If I understand correctly, the save data for that game is stored on the SD card.

I tried putting the SD card into my computer and opening any SAV files I could find on it with PkHex, but none worked. I assume I need to eff around with custom firmware stuff to even generate a savefile PkHex can recognise?

The save on your SD card is encrypted. the only way is to install CFW on the 3DS itself, then use a homebrew app to decrypt and dump the save on the SD card. Only then, can you shift it to your PC and get it onto PKHeX.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, JAndy said:

On https://3ds.hacks.guide/ it says "firmware 11.13.0 or below". In the settings of my console it says "11.13.0-45E". Does that "-45E" at the end still count as 11.13.0 or is that already above?

No clue. Just use the "ntrboot" method. It's a hardware vulnerability that should work on all versions. (It does thus far).

If you're looking at seedminer, not sure if it got patched out with the various 11.13.0 revisions.

Ok, going for ntrboot then.

However, on the product pages of the R4i series of flashcarts it says "R4i [...] card for Nintendo New 3DS[...] to play NDS games not 3ds games". I'm hoping that just means roms you might place on the sd card? Would bum me out something fierce if that meant no more any 3ds games on my 3ds.

Okay, let's clear it up.

1. The NDS flash cart, which allows you to play backed up NDS games (not 3DS), would be used to install CFW on your 3DS.

2. Once your 3DS has been hacked (installed CFW), you can also play backed up 3DS games on it (installing various .CIA files. CIA files are basically kinda like the eshop downloads you could have done).

Please note that piracy and roms isn't allowed on our site, so mind what you say.

Presently, I'm only concerned with helping you hack your 3DS to extract the save, as per your original post, so don't get side-tracked. No CFW = No save extraction, keep that in mind.

Oh, I have zero intentions of pirating. I just want to still be able to play the 3DS games I bought.

Also, do I understand correctly that you're indirectly saying that after hacking the 3DS, eshop downloads will no longer be possible?

10 minutes ago, JAndy said:

Oh, I have zero intentions of pirating. I just want to still be able to play the 3DS games I bought.

Also, do I understand correctly that you're indirectly saying that after hacking the 3DS, eshop downloads will no longer be possible?

e-shop downloads will still be possible, as long as you stay safe and don't install any pirated insanity and get caught. My 3DS is hacked and to this day I can still use the e-shop. (Mostly Pokémon Bank or Transporter, since I always uninstall them by accident. But yeah, still able to to install games or reinstall paid games etc).

So all at your own risk, of course.

[For the record, banned 3DS can't use the e-shop or online play. While there is a workaround to make it have be able to participate in online play, it gets locked out from e-shop]

Thanks, that's reassuring.

Now I only need to convince whichever company is protecting my prepaid credit card from fraudulent activity that they don't need to block my attempted purchase at nds-card.com...