(Batch) editor questions

tosti

Hi all, new member here. Hopefully I will pose some question that have simple answers.

This might sound corny but I have recently got back into Pokemon after watching some of the orignal and new Sun & Moon tv series with my eldest son. It really started the fire again. Now I have Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun on a 3DS (with access to CFW, Checkpoint). I would love to add more Pokemon for him to play around with.

(For example, he's completely taken with that Dusk Lycanroc Ash has, but with his young age and my limited amount of free time, I'd rather spend that time playing with the Pokemon rather than taking the specific steps to start that evolution.)

I found a very interesting save file with all Pokemon. Out of precaution I downloaded the latest version (I believe including Pokemon added for Sword and Shield) and the latest version of the save file that was released before Sword and Shield (from March 31, 2019). No idea if that matters for PKHex and adding Pokemon to a 3DS save file, but it seemed smart to have a file without Pokemon that were added for later Generations of the game series.

So far, I have read through some PKHex tutorials, especially the one for the Batch Editor. Still I am pondering some things before I dare to edit the save file and try and write it to the 3DS SD card.

While I have read the tutorials to try and learn how to edit certain things, I still do not fully understand why I should change somethings. For example, should I change SID, TID, OT Trainer information and/or Latest (not OT) handler information under the OT tab for the save file to work on our 3DS? Basically what I would like to know are these two things:

1) Given that he and I will only play the single-player aspect of the Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun games (but our 3DS will connect to wireless internet), what aspects of the save file must I edit in order for the save file to properly work with our account info on the 3DS and/or character data in the games?

2) Additionally, to edit the essentials that I asked about in question 1 for all Pokemon in the single save file, do I need to use the Batch Editor? (In other words, does the Batch Editor alter data for a batch of Pokemon in a singular save file, or does the Batch Editor alter data for a big batch of save files?)

Apologies for the long-winded post. I feel like I am asking questions that really hammer home the point I am very much a beginner. Still, any help will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Edited by tosti

1 hour ago, tosti said:

1) Given that he and I will only play the single-player aspect of the Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun games (but our 3DS will connect to wireless internet), what aspects of the save file must I edit in order for the save file to properly work with our account info on the 3DS and/or character data in the games?

Nothing. If you're playing singple-player aspect, absolutely nothing needs to be changed.

I however, would recommend changing OT details (OT TID SID OTgender) so that the mons would be obedient, assuming you haven''t defeated the E4.

1 hour ago, tosti said:

2) Additionally, to edit the essentials that I asked about in question 1 for all Pokemon in the single save file, do I need to use the Batch Editor? (In other words, does the Batch Editor alter data for a batch of Pokemon in a singular save file, or does the Batch Editor alter data for a big batch of save files?)

Batch editors can edit mons in ONE save. Doesn't edit the other saves your computer, only edits the save currently loaded in PKHeX.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, theSLAYER said:

Nothing. If you're playing singple-player aspect, absolutely nothing needs to be changed.

I however, would recommend changing OT details (OT TID SID OTgender) so that the mons would be obedient, assuming you haven''t defeated the E4.

Thanks for the reply. So if I open one of my own saves, I can see what OT details that save file contains, copy those, and that will help with familiarity/obedience.

And you're right, we have not defeated the E4 yet. We're still strolling around on Route 1!

On 3/4/2020 at 12:29 PM, theSLAYER said:

Batch editors can edit mons in ONE save. Doesn't edit the other saves your computer, only edits the save currently loaded in PKHeX.

While that does make more sense than my other alternative, I still figured I would ask before commencing.

With those two questions answered, I guess I'll back up my original save and the originally downloaded save files to start batch editing.

One final question: because I am playing Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun, do I need to use the uploaded save file that only contains Gen VII Pokemon (save data from March 31, 2019) or should I still edit the most recent one? Does it matter for the PKHex program?

20 hours ago, tosti said:

One final question: because I am playing Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun, do I need to use the uploaded save file that only contains Gen VII Pokemon (save data from March 31, 2019) or should I still edit the most recent one? Does it matter for the PKHex program?

In addition to the quoted question, do most downloadable save files on this site place the player character at a specific point in the game (e.g.,  right at the start, main story cleared, everything cleared)? How can I tell, or could I even edit story progression in PKHex?

Edited by tosti
Typo that I just couldn’t ignore

On 3/4/2020 at 5:58 PM, tosti said:

The version of the file doesn't matter to PKHeX.
PKHeX is just a save editor. It doesn't have feelings nor does it care.

Use whatever file you like (that's compatible with PKHeX).

On 3/4/2020 at 5:58 PM, tosti said:

In addition to the quoted question, do most downloadable save files on this site place the player character at a specific point in the game (e.g.,  right at the start, main story cleared, everything cleared)? How can I tell, or could I even edit story progression in PKHex?

PKHeX doesn't tell you what stage of the story you're at. You gotta load the save in the game in order be able to tell.

You can edit progression by checking or unchecking event flags, but the flags aren't labelled.

It is probably just easier to import all the mons into a save of yours, as you already know the story progression of your own save.

• Like 1

Playing around with PKHeX and its batch editor, I've injected some fun Pokemon into the game. Altering a set of variables using the batch editor makes my life a lot easier:

Spoiler

.OT_Name=tosti
-OT_Gender=0
.SID=1234
.TID=112233
.CurrentHandler=0
.TrainerID7=112233
.TrainerSID7=1234
.ConsoleRegion=2
.Country=110
.Region=0
.Language=2
.CurrentFriendship=255

I am guessing the TrainerID7 and TrainerSID7 are the seventh generation's versions of the TID and SID variables, making it obsolete for me to alter the latter duo.

While the batch editor and the lines of code mentioned above provide me with ways of altering save files, I still have not been able to turn the save file into a starter one--one where the main quest is still left open. I've created a save file right at the beginning of the game, and mirrored those story progression flags in Gridelin's save file, but that does not roll back story progression. At least, not as far as I can tell.

If possible, I would like to try another route: keeping my original save file, but adding tons of Pokemon to it with having to do that one by one.. In other words, I would like to import a lot of Pokemon from someone else's save file into my own save file. That way, the save file is still mine so it allows me to continue with my story--all Pokemon from Gridelin's Save file would be the only addition/alteration to my save file.

Reading the PKHeX tutorial, I have not found what I am looking for--either I am reading over it, or I might be looking at the wrong tutorial. Can someone point me to the correct tutorial or explain to me how I get all of the Pokemon from someone else's save file onto my own save file? Not having to do that one Pokemon at a time would really save me on time.

Cheers!

The batch editor edits PKM files contained in the boxes / folder.

There is no way to modify a game's overall progress, as there is no documentation on how every single flag/toggle/value would need to be modified to be at a given point in the storyline. Take a donor save file at the desired progress point, import the PKM from your folder, then make your cosmetic changes.

• Like 2

While it might sound simple, I couldn't understand how to import Pokemon from a donor file. Maybe I even did it in a roundabout way in the end.

Initially, I opened the save file with all Pokemon. I added all Pokemon to the databse (I believe using Tools > Dump Boxes).

Then, I opened my own save file I copied from the 3DS's internal microSD. There I choose to import the Pokemon from the database I created the step before (Tools > Load Boxes). With the warning messages that followed, I clicked on Yes twice--as far as I understand, it overwrites any Pokemon I might have in my boxes but I did not have any in my boxes anyway. With the Pokemon database imported to my boxes, I exported the save file (Export Sav... as main).

Finally, I copied this exported save file from my computer's HDD onto the internal microSD of my 3DS. Using the checkpoint app, I reloaded that save file into my game, making it the active one.