Extracting Trainer House Data?

DaisyWaisy

Heya!
Without going into too much detail, I lost my heart gold copy in 2013 and lost what was on my team, however my friend still has my teams data in the trainer house of his heart gold from back when we used to use the Pokewalker with each other. He let me back his save onto my computer, and I am now curious if anyone would have any idea as to how to extract my Pokemon data off the save. 
Thanks!

12 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

load the save into PKHeX, then drag your mons onto your desktop.

I don't see an option for the trainer house teams in PKHeX, though the saves I currently have access to don't have anything stored in there which may be a contributing factor. I haven't been able to find any info online that there is an option in PKHeX to view trainer house data, so am unsure what to do when I do manage to back the save up. 

1 hour ago, DaisyWaisy said:

I don't see an option for the trainer house teams in PKHeX, though the saves I currently have access to don't have anything stored in there which may be a contributing factor. I haven't been able to find any info online that there is an option in PKHeX to view trainer house data, so am unsure what to do when I do manage to back the save up. 

As far as I can see Pokémon House editing isn’t apart of PKHeX so you will not be able to use that to dump then.  As far as I’m aware no one has done the research to find that in the save.  Also if the save is empty you might not have dumped to save properly.  If the save is dumped properly and you can load it up in an emulator you might find the attach thread useful to some degree.  However, extracting them directly from the save will probably give better results.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Poke J said:

As far as I can see Pokémon House editing isn’t apart of PKHeX so you will not be able to use that to dump then.  As far as I’m aware no one has done the research to find that in the save.  Also if the save is empty you might not have dumped to save properly.  If the save is dumped properly and you can load it up in an emulator you might find the attach thread useful to some degree.  However, extracting them directly from the save will probably give better results.

Thank you so much this is so useful! Concerning the save itself its just that I dont have his save specifically backed up yet sorry I didn't phrase my original post very well. In terms of reading from memory, I'm a little inexperienced. Can desmume do this directly or would I need a second hex reader running in the background? 

8 minutes ago, DaisyWaisy said:

Thank you so much this is so useful! Concerning the save itself its just that I dont have his save specifically backed up yet sorry I didn't phrase my original post very well. In terms of reading from memory, I'm a little inexperienced. Can desmume do this directly or would I need a second hex reader running in the background? 

You’ll need to dump the complete RAM when the Pokémon is on the field and then open the RAM dump in a hex editor such as HxD.  Unfortunately, with that method it’s not really suited for this task since you will be missing vital data for legality.  A better method is to find them in the save since I’m going to assume it will contain more complete data.  If no one helps you by next Thursday I’d be willing to help you find them in the save since you’ve peaked my curiosity.

47 minutes ago, Poke J said:

You’ll need to dump the complete RAM when the Pokémon is on the field and then open the RAM dump in a hex editor such as HxD.  Unfortunately, with that method it’s not really suited for this task since you will be missing vital data for legality.  A better method is to find them in the save since I’m going to assume it will contain more complete data.  If no one helps you by next Thursday I’d be willing to help you find them in the save since you’ve peaked my curiosity.

Just a thought regarding finding them in the save; Action replay codes exist allowing you to capture enemy Pokemon. Would such a code be an easier solution? Also how would they react to trainer house Pokemon, are OTs retained? Gosh all these questions make me really wish I had access to his save now as even beyond me getting similar copies of my old Pokemon, I'm just curious now. 

3 hours ago, DaisyWaisy said:

Just a thought regarding finding them in the save; Action replay codes exist allowing you to capture enemy Pokemon. Would such a code be an easier solution? Also how would they react to trainer house Pokemon, are OTs retained? Gosh all these questions make me really wish I had access to his save now as even beyond me getting similar copies of my old Pokemon, I'm just curious now. 

You'll run into the same legality issues if you do that and using the AR code to catch that way will discard relevant information.  That is why I mapped that RAM to preserve the important information.  But, in your case I'd say first try to find the Pokemon in the save file.  Even though I don't know how much of the Pokemon data is transferred to the Pokewalker, you can hope that the Pokemon in their entirety transferred during friend interaction.  If not the RAM dump will be your best bet then,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

If you catch another player's mon, nope. that's why RAM dumps is preferred.

2 hours ago, Poke J said:

You'll run into the same legality issues if you do that and using the AR code to catch that way will discard relevant information.  That is why I mapped that RAM to preserve the important information.  But, in your case I'd say first try to find the Pokemon in the save file.  Even though I don't know how much of the Pokemon data is transferred to the Pokewalker, you can hope that the Pokemon in their entirety transferred during friend interaction.  If not the RAM dump will be your best bet then,

I'll try to get the save onto my computer this weekend to explore. I do still have a few Pokemon with my original trainer/secret ID on my pearl to copy over and can make reasonable assumptions as to when I caught everything else (Starter was on my birthday in 2010, I remember the days of the week and roughly when in the month in 2010 I got the other things in my team so can use old calendars to piece together), so worst case scenario I could use AR Codes to catch them and then edit them in PkHex to have virtually identical data to how they were, though exploring the save sounds more promising and interesting.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, DaisyWaisy said:

I'll try to get the save onto my computer this weekend to explore. I do still have a few Pokemon with my original trainer/secret ID on my pearl to copy over and can make reasonable assumptions as to when I caught everything else (Starter was on my birthday in 2010, I remember the days of the week and roughly when in the month in 2010 I got the other things in my team so can use old calendars to piece together), so worst case scenario I could use AR Codes to catch them and then edit them in PkHex to have virtually identical data to how they were, though exploring the save sounds more promising and interesting.

If you can extract them from the save there is a chance that you will not have to guess on any of the data it could all be there.  That's if the party is transferred in it's entirety which there is a real possibility that may be the case.

EDIT

@DaisyWaisyI've done some looking into what data the game stores for the Trainer House and it is a lot less then I was hoping to find.  None the less this was what I was able to decipher from my save.  Several trainers can be stored in the section, but  I don't know how many trainers can be stored.  It looks like it is a lot more then the 5 trainers that are in the house.  As well, the default trainer Ace Trainer Cal does not appear in this list.

-The first part of one trainers block starts with a header that has the trainers name, ID, SID, and what I believe to be the selected trainer class.  There seems to be a little more data in the header, but it seems unimportant for the Pokemon information.

-Each Pokemon is about 34 bytes in the list with some being less and some being a little more.

-The Pokemon data that is stored that I could determine at a first look through is in the following order is the Pokemon index number, held item, moves, ID, SID, PID, temp value (unused), moves PP, IV block, EVs, Ability, and Pokemon name.  At the moment I couldn't find, but it has to be there is some value that is either the Pokemon's EXP or level.

Edited by Poke J
Did some data checking.