SAV to BAK conversion. Help please.

nihifik520

Hi, I have a Japanese Diamond cart with R4i save dongle.

I am wondering how to convert the .SAV file into a .BAK file in order to edit. I've done it before but can't remember how I did it.

Also converting .BAK to .SAV afterwards to put back onto the cart. I cannot find a simple answer, only vague replies and broken links.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

Please do not bump threads. People will get to it when the get to it. Can you upload a example of a “save does PKHeX does not allow editing”

My apologies, just being impatient. Every time I open the .SAV file with PKHeX it just says 'Invalid save file loaded. Aborting.' and nothing happens. Not sure if it's a japanese save file error or what.. It doesn't let me edit the .SAV file in ANY save editing software, but it does let me editing .BAK files. 

With PokeGen I open the save file, select Japanese Diamond and it just closes instantly. 

sav.png

2 minutes ago, nihifik520 said:

Could it be that I'm using a 3ds and it's encrypting the save file? I tried again and it still won't open, I'm guessing it's just done the same thing

Encryption wouldn’t result in the save being blank in hex editor. Also using a 3DS won’t matter. Try updating the drivers for the dongle, and use the dongle in a different USB slot

11 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Encryption wouldn’t result in the save being blank in hex editor. Also using a 3DS won’t matter. Try updating the drivers for the dongle, and use the dongle in a different USB slot

I have the drivers, but I tried reinstalling them anyway and it says that I already have a better version is already installed for both.

Maaaaaaaan I really wish I just plugged it into another USB drive and it magically worked :(( 

2 hours ago, nihifik520 said:

I have the drivers, but I tried reinstalling them anyway and it says that I already have a better version is already installed for both.

Maaaaaaaan I really wish I just plugged it into another USB drive and it magically worked :(( 

In any case, if .bak works for you (and I have no idea how you got it), just rename it to .sav and carry on.
If PKHeX reads it, it's obviously just a backup of a save file..

I mean, this scenario is a bit weird, but at least it somehow works?

12 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

In any case, if .bak works for you (and I have no idea how you got it), just rename it to .sav and carry on.
If PKHeX reads it, it's obviously just a backup of a save file..

I mean, this scenario is a bit weird, but at least it somehow works?

I'm guessing it really is just a dongle error. I changed the .bak to a .sav and edited it, resaved, tried putting the save file back onto the cart, booted it up and still had my regular save. Ahhhh.

Thanks for the help by the way.

• Like 1