Gen 8 Specific Edits: Extracting Local Wonder Cards

Our team are able to extract local wonder cards from PCAPs (provided someone is there to capture them).
PCAPs can be captured through Wireshark, using a mobile computer to sniff the packets via the local broadcasts.

While a proper tutorial is presently not up yet, here's what you can do.
Look through the following videos .These videos may come in handy for some people to get a grasp on Wireshark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo9nQxxgP_I
- Basic - Talks about enabling monitor mode on linux outside of Wireshark
- Part of an easy to digest series (6 minute videos) with some content related to capturing packets with Wireshark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdV6cVVV-jU
- More detailed - Goes over monitor mode (what it is and why to use it)
- Filtering
- Various tips and tricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltfWjpNcn20
- Very basic
- Goes over the different wireless modes (including monitor)
- Describes what Beacon Frames are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5TwvGXHP0
- Very basic
- High level overview of wireshark
- Shows how to setup monitor mode

View full tutorial

• theSLAYER changed the title to Gen 8 Specific Edits: Extracting Local Wonder Cards
  • 2 years later...

Am I understanding this correctly? Is it a way to spoof a network to introduce a claimable wonder card? If no are there any working tutorials on how to extract wc8 files to SwSh?

I'm having trouble loading a wc8 file from the events gallery, I'm trying to convert it to a pk file but the wc8 file is not loaded properly, it only shows this:

image.png.8a92543c8be28ab2da5a334deb1b0807.png

I'm trying to load the Korean Porygon "1023 SWSH - 정상윤 Porygon-Z.wc8" to convert it to a pk file. It's not in the Mystery Gifts database either so I'm stuck on finding a way to get these wc8 pokemons.

Any help or clarifications are highly appreciated. Thank you.

37 minutes ago, Izuna said:

Am I understanding this correctly? Is it a way to spoof a network to introduce a claimable wonder card?

You’re not understanding this correctly. This is for how to use data extraction to grab local wonder cards when they’re being shared via local wireless from a distributor.

39 minutes ago, Izuna said:

If no are there any working tutorials on how to extract wc8 files to SwSh?

39 minutes ago, Izuna said:

I'm having trouble loading a wc8 file from the events gallery, I'm trying to convert it to a pk file but the wc8 file is not loaded properly, it only shows this

Why are you trying to load a generation 8 wonder card into a generation 9 default save? There’s no Gen 8 -> Gen 9 transfers yet, so PKHeX won’t allow it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

You’re not understanding this correctly. This is for how to use data extraction to grab local wonder cards when they’re being shared via local wireless from a distributor.

Why are you trying to load a generation 8 wonder card into a generation 9 default save? There’s no Gen 8 -> Gen 9 transfers yet, so PKHeX won’t allow it.

Thank you for the clarification.

I wasn't trying to load a gen 8 wonder card into a gen 9 default save. I was trying to open the wc8 file directly via PkHex and also tried dragging and dropping the file as the first instruction here: Generation 8 - Project Pokemon Forums

image.png.bd23d48363d9cd073b666558d1fdf5d7.png

Am I correct to assume that currently, the only working method to extract wc8 files is through the second instruction (BCAT Method)? I was wondering why a lot of wc8 pokemons aren't included in the Mystery Gifts database.

Edited by Izuna

25 minutes ago, Izuna said:

Thank you for the clarification.

I wasn't trying to load a gen 8 wonder card into a gen 9 default save. I was trying to open the wc8 file directly via PkHex and also tried dragging and dropping the file as the first instruction here: Generation 8 - Project Pokemon Forums

image.png.bd23d48363d9cd073b666558d1fdf5d7.png

Am I correct to assume that currently, the only working method to extract wc8 files is through the second instruction (BCAT Method)? I was wondering why a lot of wc8 pokemons aren't included in the Mystery Gifts database.

You need to drag the wonder card into PKHeX with a Gen 8 save loaded..

Am I correct to assume that currently, the only working method to extract wc8 files is through the second instruction (BCAT Method)

If you just want to grab the Pokémon out of the wonder card, dragging the wonder card into the left side of PKHeX with the correct save loaded works.

If you want to redeem the card in-game, gotta use the BCAT method.

I was wondering why a lot of wc8 pokemons aren't included in the Mystery Gifts database.

Once again, gotta load a Gen 8 save before checking the database. Only then would it show the Mystery Gifts of Gen 8.

as I explained, no transfer mechanic, hence it won’t show you Gen 8 gifts stuff in a Gen 9 save.

(Your PKHeX loads a blank Gen 9 save by default)