PP show up incorrectly in PKHEX but not in the game on one pokemon

andrewmyles

Just downloaded the newest pkhex to see if you've fixed the incorrect invalid Memories problem (you have, thanks!) but I've encountered a peculiar problem: one of my pokémon is marked as hacked due to the invalid PPs, being way higher than they should be. What is weird is that they show up completely okay in the game. It's not even the matter of wrongly used PP Max. Ancient power had PP of 60 now, as opposed to 8. Future sight has 61, which isn't a number I'd consider hacking in if I've done that.

That shiny Celebi comes from gen 2, and full disclosure here, I have used the Coin Case glitch to spawn it and shinify, but a) it went through Pokebank, and b) other legends I have spawned using this glitch were not marked in any way. And again, the PPs show up correctly in the game...

251 ★ - Celebi - 09E94F41970E.pk7

image.png.ca82fb0427b8aecbfd30705b43b365a2.png

If there is a pkhex issue, it's on writing the data, not on reading it (unless it's incorrectly reading data from party.) Because it's reading exactly what the pk7 shows.

Edited by Guest

55 minutes ago, andrewmyles said:

Yeah, now they're back to normal. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised that the glitched pokemon was having some issues, but I was weirded out that those incorrect numbers weren't showing up in the game.

The game may have been programmed to check the PP up/max's used, and if the PP value is incorrect/impossible, check against PP table (to display correct PP values)

If I understood what @Ammako said correctly, PKHeX was reading the file correctly.
That would mean that the PPs of the moves were messed up to begin with.

It's possible that a combination of glitching the mons and the transfer process borked your PPs, but you wouldn't have known otherwise, since it doesn't show in-game due to the above mentioned process.

It's also possible that there could have been a some kind of a specific issue with pkhex on reading the PP values from the party or box slots, but we wouldn't really be able to know this without seeing the save file those .pk7s were taken from.

This would cause PP values to be normal in-game, and then some weird thing happens that causes incorrect data to be written when exporting .pk7

This wouldn't really explain why it's fixed itself (though it could well be what @theSLAYER said), but at least it'd allow seeing exactly where the problem came from. I think it's unlikely that PP data would have carried over from VC, but who knows.

Edit: If the Pokémon is in Party, then the incorrect PP shows. In the PC, correct PP values show, because I guess the game assumes box Pokémon to be fully healed, even though PC box data stores current PP (seems like unused data to me, and idk why this would be a part of boxed Pokémon data.)

If you have it happen again, simply withdrawing them from the PC fixes it, or if it's a party Pokémon (in which case you'd see the incorrect PP), depositing it is all it needs.

It would still be good to see if this is a thing that occurs naturally from Bank, still. I don't really see why PKHeX would be messing that up, but I don't know why they'd have PP data carry over from VC when sent through Poké Transporter. Who knows though, they've made far worse programming/design choices in the past, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2019 at 3:05 AM, Guest said:

It's also possible that there could have been a some kind of a specific issue with pkhex on reading the PP values from the party or box slots, but we wouldn't really be able to know this without seeing the save file those .pk7s were taken from.

This would cause PP values to be normal in-game, and then some weird thing happens that causes incorrect data to be written when exporting .pk7

This wouldn't really explain why it's fixed itself (though it could well be what @theSLAYER said), but at least it'd allow seeing exactly where the problem came from. I think it's unlikely that PP data would have carried over from VC, but who knows.

Edit: If the Pokémon is in Party, then the incorrect PP shows. In the PC, correct PP values show, because I guess the game assumes box Pokémon to be fully healed, even though PC box data stores current PP (seems like unused data to me, and idk why this would be a part of boxed Pokémon data.)

If you have it happen again, simply withdrawing them from the PC fixes it, or if it's a party Pokémon (in which case you'd see the incorrect PP), depositing it is all it needs.

It would still be good to see if this is a thing that occurs naturally from Bank, still. I don't really see why PKHeX would be messing that up, but I don't know why they'd have PP data carry over from VC when sent through Poké Transporter. Who knows though, they've made far worse programming/design choices in the past, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

I've had this issue with bank. Legit mons from gen 1 and 2 when transferred through bank and withdrawn to a gen 7 game can have messed up PP.

I'm not sure what causes it and why. But they go through to HOME just fine.

Celebi from crystal has that issue and the bird from kanto. There's a few other as well.

It doesn't appear to be the mons that cause it but the moves. As each mon with the specific move will either have an absurdly high PP amount.

Anyone figured 9ut why bank might cause this to happen? 

And does HOME that anyone knows of fix any of the issues? I would think a mon with 300PP in move would flag but mine went through.

I dont have a modded switch to be able to check them on SwSh. 

As previously mentioned, this is not a bug with PKHeX, rather the VC->7 transporting logic by the official methods.

They copy the VC PP, and do not update it to the new maximum PP or heal the PP when it is set into the box. This can be "fixed" by just healing the pkm in-game. PKHeX is correctly flagging them as not-legal, because depositing a PKM into the box in-game should automatically heal the PP, but transporter forgets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

As previously mentioned, this is not a bug with PKHeX, rather the VC->7 transporting logic by the official methods.

They copy the VC PP, and do not update it to the new maximum PP or heal the PP when it is set into the box. This can be "fixed" by just healing the pkm in-game. PKHeX is correctly flagging them as not-legal, because depositing a PKM into the box in-game should automatically heal the PP, but transporter forgets.

Thought it was something like that. I'm sure plenty, if not, a majority of players have sent through mons to home via bank and wouldn't be aware of this issue.

I'm gathering its not an issue in terms of ban worthy seeing as without using save editing software you wouldn't know about it.