Considering an iPhone 3GS

codemonkey85

Should I change my phone?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should I change my phone?

• Yes, change for an iPhone.
    • Yes, change for something other than an iPhone.
    • No, keep what you have.

Okay, so I just started a new contract with AT&T last month. To go with it, I picked up a Samsung Impression. I like it, but I do have some minor issues with it.

However, after reading a lot of peoples' opinions and trying some things myself, I see now that it is quite limited. As a big geek, I like to be able to do lots of different things with my gadgets... and the iPhone has apps for just about anything you can imagine. Sadly, there is not much support for the Impression's platform. I'd love a client app for IRC, for example... Communication Tube works most of the time, but it's hardly an ideal solution. There are many other such cases of an app my device just doesn't have available to it.

I'm thinking about switching to an iPhone to broaden my mobile horizons. But I'm hesitant to switch from a hardware keyboard to a virtual one. Plus, I've heard the iPhones tend to drop their calls frequently.

Is anyone here able to offer some insight?

With my iPhone 3G experience i can assure you that the only problems i have is a shorter battery but i do listen to music all the time. And the other problem is that it gets a bit slow after a jailbreak. However i did solve that and it is not that way on 3Gs. So my advise is to get one as soon as possible! You won't have any problems with the keyboard. That much i can guarantee. I still quite like my phone.

I'd say look into the Trillian iPhone app, CM. I am personally jealous of it because they have not yet created a BlackBerry app lol

Well, I use Trillian on my desktop / laptop, but its IRC functionality appears to be somewhat incomplete. It seems to handle the other services pretty well though, so I may have to check it out anyway!

iPhone's Colloquy (Popular IRC Client for Macs AFAIK) is REALLY GOOD! You can enter almost all IRC commands, has a neat, clean and easy to use UI and saves chat logs (about 10 lines). It's the best phone on AT&T.

I've heard good things about Colloquy. I am considering it!

Unrelated ntoe: WoW Armory makes me wish I actually played WoW.

So, I was worried that the virtual keyboard would be the biggest turn-off about the iPhone, but I have to admit it's not as bad as I thought. I think with practice I'll be able to type messages just as fast as on a mobile hardware keyboards. Also, one nice thing about the iPhone is the fact that mobile internet is seemingly mostly optimized for the mobile Safari browser.

Wow, didn't even know about midomi. Holy moly am I getting that one!

Here's a list of some other apps I find neat:

vlingo

Dragon Dictation

RedLaser (I work part time at a grocery store, so...)

TV Guide (faster than the channel and more portable than the magazine)

Too bad copyright laws prevent a decent Pokédex application from existing. I think everyone's thought about that one.

There's an app called iDex (I think) if you're looking for a pokedex. It isn't as good as it could be though, it has every pokemon in alphabetical order, it's type match ups, evolutions, then for everything else, it'll just send you to their website. But it's pretty good, if you just need a quick reference.

and, Greencat, Colluquy isn't the best IRC app for the iPhone, it is just the best for it's price (I used to use LimeChat, that was heaps better... although, it was $6 (here))

There's an app called iDex (I think) if you're looking for a pokedex. It isn't as good as it could be though, it has every pokemon in alphabetical order, it's type match ups, evolutions, then for everything else, it'll just send you to their website. But it's pretty good, if you just need a quick reference.

I have that it's a good app ;)