Is it worth hacking my switch just for PKHex?

shinymon

So it seems my switch is hackable since the first few serials are XAJ70003... and so on. I mainly want to use PKHex for cloning my hard earned shiny pokemon for trade purposes in Sword&Shield, but from what I understand, you never want your hacked switch to go online as there is a risk of getting banned. How am I expected to trade then, if it requires being online?

I just hacked my switch for PKHeX and I'm very happy. I've followed all the instructions from the ultimate guide and it works just fine. All you have to do is make sure you have the items you need to get into the RCM. Granted, it's a little bit more difficult than the 3DS because it's very pinned on the PC, but you also have great options like FTP Client. This allowed me to give away shiny dittos on a regular basis and so far I have not gotten an online bann.

Edited by Suzaku941

So this checkpoint thing acts like a save state of some sort? And as long as you play in that state, you have no risk of getting banned? Kind of like having a "dirty" save with all the genned pokemon and a clean "save?" How do you get the genned pokemon into your "clean" save?

Sorry for all the questions. Just wanted to get a good grasp on things before deciding if I want to go through with it.

1 hour ago, shinymon said:

And as long as you play in that state, you have no risk of getting banned?

There's always a risk of getting banned.

For example, if an update makes the Switch send back information, and such information can imply that the Switch has CFW,
and CFW devs don't identify and block such a report being sent, you could get banned.

So this checkpoint thing acts like a save state of some sort?

It's not a save state, it's literally a save.

Checkpoint is a save manager that can import and export saves.

In any case, you'll need a save manager to import PKHeX'd saves into your game.

How do you get the genned pokemon into your "clean" save?

I don't.

Anyway aside from PKHeX (and maybe trades) there's no way to get Hex'd stuff onto your game.

To clarify: You are asking if there is value in loading Custom Firmware onto a Nintendo Switch in order access the Homebrew app: "Checkpoint". Checkpoint allows you to Export and Import an a copy of the Switch's local memory save file. From there, transfer a copy of the save from the Custom Firmware Switch to PKHeX (then back to said Switch.)

I would first like to state: This is why I own a Custom Firmware Switch.

I personally do not consider this a wise financial investment.

Nintendo's servers will lock down Custom Firmware Switch (semi-bricking it's ability to be online at all) in the event it sees that Switch. You will not have access to Nintendo Switch Online cloud service REQUIRED to transfer a save file in Pokémon titles between Nintendo Switches. This means you can ONLY use PKHeX with the saves on the CFW Switch. Furthermore, you cannot use Nintendo Switch Online for any of the online features that require it in those Pokémon titles (ie. Max Raids and Online Battles.)

At the time of writing this response, PKHeX just released a new version today. The program is VERY restrictive of features available at this time.

You cannot at this time with PKHeX:

• View/Edit/Anything involving the Den Star Piece gifts from Mystery Gift
  • View/Edit/Anything involving the Item gifts from the Mystery Gift
  • View/Edit/Anything involving active Den Raids (including Watch Tower)
  • View/Edit/Anything involving the Online "Nest Report"
  • View/Edit/Anything involving your Watts
  • View/Edit/Anything involving Camping
  • View/Edit/Anything involving Curry Dex
  • View/Edit/Anything involving Jobs
  • View/Edit/Anything involving the two Nursey
  • Reset Wild Area "Strong" Pokémon
  • Reset In-Game Gifts (including GMax Eevee/Pikachu)
  • Reset In-Game Legendary Encounters

These are all within the realm of features added to PKHeX by the end of a game's "one year-ish" life-span.

So, you best be aware of just exactly what paying $300 USD for PKHeX is getting you right now.

(On that note: Project Pokemon is looking for donations to expand it's support of game events that occur in Asia currently. You may want to donate to that cause if you have the money to burn.)

Edited by AliceTheAlice

21 hours ago, AliceTheAlice said:

I personally do not consider this a wise financial investment.
So, you best be aware of just exactly what paying $300 USD for PKHeX is getting you right now.

Thank you for that very informative response. I have decided not to go through with it (for now). Maybe if they release S/Sh 2 or the rumored D/P remakes because to be honest, sacrificing all that for S/Sh which I found to have a very lackluster experience seems not worth it to me after all.

• 2 years later...