PCNY Gotta Catch Em All Station

RetroAli

Hello ProjectPokemon! A friend of mine has stumbled upon Japanese NR Gamecube Discs, memory cards, and cart reader that were used for the Gotta Catch Em All Station at Pokemon Center NY distributions back in the day. We are planning on backing up & preserving everything.

I'm posting here to reach out to those in the community who are way more well-versed than we are in the nitty gritty of Pokemon Event Distributions to help dig into the mystery of these discs/carts. If you're familiar with this at all please feel free to respond to this thread, PM me on here, or DM me on Discord. (RetroAli#6666) Thank you!

(Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong place lol... figured this was the best section.)

Edited by scf3
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Wow! I would love to get a copy! This is super important!

We had a lot of hypotheses about how it worked based on testimony from people who have gotten the event. I have determined part of the algorithm based on actual Pokemon from the event. But there are lots of unknowns that we would love to figure out by reading the code.

I've been looking for this disc for 12 years!

• Like 6

Since the disc would require an NR Gamecube to run it is unlikely that they have a video of it just yet. Hopefully there isn’t any memory card save data required for it to work.

If there is I hope that the cards in the picture have the required information.

Im very excited! Thank you for contacting H4G about this as they will definitely make sure you get all the help you need in preservation.

Edited by Professor Rex

I was just sent this link via email, amazing news important enough for me to log in again and reply. This is the most important Pokemon distribution device to surface so far! I'm still curious about these things to know when they show up, even if they're of no use to me these days. I stand by willing to help if in need, or with any sort information related. Glad to see extraordinary finds are indeed not yet over and passed! Keep us updated.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Speechless 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, scf3 said:

Tony just put up a quick teaser trailer for the PCNY machine, a full in-depth video will be out in January. Thank you to everyone here at ProjectPokemon that has helped us so far, it's greatly appreciated. :)

https://t.co/NNUjwDfQov

Is it a full rebuild of the original machine? Will it give all the Pokemon given at the time or just the ones people were able to recover?

On 12/12/2019 at 10:15 AM, RodrigoTR said:

Is it a full rebuild of the original machine? Will it give all the Pokemon given at the time or just the ones people were able to recover?

I'd assume that the generation algorithm is the same for all of these Pokemon with the OT/ID/Secret ID being the only difference.

Edited by Invader TAK

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, scf3 said:

22 hours ago, scf3 said:

Hello all, Tony just uploaded the video. :)

Are the saves in the description of that video legit event Pokemon? Holy cow I even see some shiny mew save??? 😭

Don't have the games to check those saves now but I know what I will be doing in a few minutes hahaha.

As far as I know some gen 2 English events haven't been found yet and if those are them then you have my gratitude forever!

Edit: Checked all the saves in the emulators my boy and myoldboy and the Ruby and Sapphire rev 1 USA/Europe games gave me both a "corrupted save loading previous save" message. All the event Pokemon seem to be completely untouched, lots of the event Pokemon are missing when checking the event list from the wiki and there are a few eggs which I guess are the wish Pokemon but I didn't hatch em to check if it's all of them.

All the Crystal saves checked with the Crystal rev A USA/Europe game and all of them ask me to set the time, many events miss while again checking the appropriate wiki list and unlike in the gba saves most of the event Pokemon are slightly touched with slight lvl up and I think some new moves learned. Didn't knew there's a shiny mew event does this mean we now have a legit shiny gen 1 Mew? 😍

Are there any other Pokemons you have from the events? Is it possible to give the untouched game boy events? Are there more natures and different IVs for the GBA event Pokemon and more IVs for the game boy color event Pokemon?

Edited by Catch Mudkipz 1000

11 hours ago, Home_Rowed said:

Maybe it's like Jirachi from the Pokémon Coliseum bonus disc, where there are a few seeds that allow the event Pokémon to be shiny.

The wiki page says all Pokemon from the event have a 15% chance to be shiny except some which are always shiny like the mew and there's even a shiny mewtwo and legendary birds. That shiny mew had a 0.5% chance to be obtained according to the page so it's extremely rare and probably the only way to get a shiny mew outside of cheating or glitching unless there are other events which gave it.

It would be amazing if they can get all the rest Pokemon from the event and share them along with the current ones in untouched forms and in shiny variations and other iv and nature spreads!

Edited by Catch Mudkipz 1000

I explored the sevafiles provided in PkHeX, some are still flagged as illegal, PkHeX database might have to be updated or these Pokemon might not be completely reconstructed to their fullest original state. Someone with more experience may want to look into that as I dont know how the flagging system works.