Pokemon Crystal won't load

Natsu Dragneel

Hey, in the future, there is no reason to PM me, since it's all out in public.
Me or other people who see it may or may not get to it. [For example, if it was a PKHeX issue, I would not have been able to help]
(For the record, I was working on editing your save. I just haven't replied to this thread as it wasn't working yet)

While the error message appears to be related to Trainer Gender, editing that value didn't seem to resolve the issue.
As such, I copied all the trainer data from a working save and replaced yours. I changed the TID and OT back to yours, but I'm unsure what else was changed from my copy to yours.

Pokemon - Crystal Version - Copy.sav

edit: Do you have a previous copy of the save or save state that worked on PKHeX?

47 minutes ago, Natsu Dragneel said:

I guess it has something to do with the "time not set" thing

It's not. "Time not set" saves load fine on PKHeX.

Maybe your save was corrupted by cheats or something. I don't really know :/

test.sav

Use ^ save instead. It has literally minimal edits. No idea what the byte I changed represents (I know it's somewhere in the trainer block, but that is about it), but I found that location via trial and error.

Capture7.png
(I zeroed out that value, cause that value is zero on my own save)

@Kaphotics in the meantime, any idea what caused this?  : x

Just now, Natsu Dragneel said:

Wow thank you it worked, I was doing this hex editor for 2 days now, wow thank you very much, i really appreciate your help

Well to be fair, the error message said it was something related to Trainer Gender, so when that edit failed (0x3E3D according to PKHeX save offsets), I copied an entire trainer save block (offset 0x2009, size 0xB7A according to PKHeX documentation), then kept halving the block until I found the byte XD

23 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

I stepped through it and it recognized as a Korean save file, which isn't crystal, thus failed to load.

Probably a collision in detection, idk

That's odd. Does that byte happen to be used for detection?

At least if a similar issue were to happen in the future, we could link back to this page.

edit: I couldn't replicate on my own save. Wrote 0x0C (the value on OP's save) to the same location as above, and it didn't trigger the error on my own save.
Also, for OP's save, values such as 0x0D and 0x10 triggers the error, but 0xFF doesn't.

Also copied the whole row to my own save, and it didn't trigger the error. I'm giving up for now :/