New to the Forum, OU team

bobdole4eva

Hey everyone, here's my current Platinum team, I'm ashamed to say that my strategy isn't overly complex, and that might leave the team slightly less than top par, but I'm not 100% sure of that, so C&C welcome.

The idea is to use Bronzong and Blissey as Meatshields while switching in favourable Sweepers to take care of enemy threats, than have Salamence Outrage to finish off whats left.

Metagross @Occa Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Adamant Nature

-Stealth Rock

-Meteor Mash

-Bullet Punch

-Explosion

My standard opener in my last few teams, I have him lay down Stealth Rocks (of course) and then if they aren't resistant to steel I use meteor mash, followed by bullet punch if i survive. Otherwise I just either switch out or explode (which is especially useful if their opener is a threat)

Blissey @Leftovers

EVs: 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SAtk

Bold Nature

Ability: Natural Cure

-Ice Beam

-Seismic Toss

-Softboiled

-Aromatherapy

A large fluffy pink wall is the best way to describe her IMO, and that is just how I use her. Softboiled keeps her alive, Aromatherapy is great when you switch out a sleeper (sleep in particular is the bane of my existence) or any other status effect. Seismic Toss is very reliable and makes up for her lack of Atk, and Ice Beam has a lot of coverage, along with her not too bad SAtk.

Infernape @Choice Scarf

EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature

-Close Combat

-Flare Blitz

-Stone Edge

-U-Turn

Now onto the Sweepers. The point of Infernape is to hit things fast and hard. After killing something, I then U-Turn and high tail it outta there, usually for Blissey or a different Sweeper.

Starmie @Choice Specs

EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

-Surf

-Thunderbolt

-Ice Beam

-Psychic

This girl is great for switch ins, because she hasn't got an enormous number of weaknesses, and her coverage always catches people off guard. I've found that its not really possible to prepare for an all round moveset like this, so she can switch in and super effect almost anything.

Gengar @Life Orb

Timid Nature

-Shadow Ball

-Thunderbolt

-Focus Blast

-Hypnosis

Like Starmie, Gengar has great coverage, but with the Life Orb instead of Specs, he can Super effect one pokemon after another, and if there is one he is helpless against, I throw out a quick Hypnosis, if it works I switch out, if not, he dies and I switch out anyway :P.

Salamence @Life Orb

EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SAtk / 252 Spd

Naughty Nature

-Outrage

-Earthquake

-Fire Blast

-Dragon Dance

And last but most certainly not least, the monster himself. Salamence is there to jump in after all threats to him have been nullified and wipe up the mess. He's reasonably fast, very strong, and Outrage does brutal amounts of damage. All in all a great finisher.

I don't get much chance to play 6v6 as Battle Rev is 3v3 only, and I don't know many people online (I'm hoping that will change) so as I said at the start any comments are most welcome.

Edited by bobdole4eva

I'll be rating the sets individually and then the team as a whole. Take that into account when choosing Pokemon for PBR's random battle function.

Bronzong @Light Clay

EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 94 SDef

Sassy Nature

Ability: Levitate

-Gyro Ball

-Reflect

-Light Screen/Hypnosis

-ExplosionEarthquake

Standard Clay set. PBR won't always have Taunt leads, so just watch out for Aerodactyl and Azelf and you should be fine. In a Double Battle, have this guy come out with Gengar. Gengar will avoid both Explosion and EQ, and will love the added defense.

Blissey's set is fine, but in a 3v3 single or 4v4 double, she's kind of useless. These battles are very high paced, and she cannot both hit hard and take hits. Whereas Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Snorlax, Swampert, Bronzong can. Unless you face something that is only a special attacker, she'll be near useless.

Infernape @Choice Band

EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature

-Close Combat

-Flare Blitz/Fire Punch

-Stone Edge/Thunder Punch

-U-Turn

This is ALMOST good. You can lead witht his and scout with U-Turn, or in Doubles, have Bronzong do it's thing, and when ready to Explode, have Ape U-Turn out to Gengar.

Fire Punch is not a better choice, but it's there. I woudl recommend T-Punch over Stone Edge if only for accuracy issues.

Starmie @Choice Specs

Timid Nature

-Surf

-Thunderbolt

-Ice Beam

-Psychic

Good Starmie set. It's classic, doesn't need much changing. You can throw in Trick if you'd like, but then you'll lose the ass-kicking that Specs gives you. Grass Knot would be good to take out Swampert though, and HP Fire would help against Scizor so you won't get Pursuit(ed) to death.

Gengar is completely redundant compared to Starmie. They both share ghost/dark weakness, and both are special attackers. Starmie is faster, Gengar has better sp atk. My personal recommendation is Gengar, if only due to his three immunities. I'd just stick Specs on him and forget about Hypnosis.

-Shadow Ball

- T-bolt

-Focus Blast/HP Fight/HP Fire/HP Ice

- Energy Ball/Destiny Bond/Trick

Choice item on DD Mence? You sure that isn't a typo.

Ok, so you really need to think about team chemistry a bit. For example, you don't need two special sweepers. And you want to minimize shared weaknesses, and even try to have team mates cover.

Look at this team, just based on their typing:

Garchomp- Weak to Ice, Dragon. Resists Fire, Poison, Rock. Immune to Electric

Scizor: Weak to Fire. Immune to poison. Resists Dragon, Normal, Grass, Ice, Psychic, Bug, Steel, Dark, Ghost

Starmie: Weak to electric, Grass, Bug, Ghost, Dark. Resists Fire, Water, Ice, Fight, Psychic, Steel.

Garchomp's two weaknesses are resisted by Scizor (both) and Starmie (ice). Scizor's one weakness is resisted by the two others. Scizor resists every one of Starmie's weaknesses except for Electric, where Garchomp is immune.

Now it's really hard to get a team that covers weaknesses like this, but you should at least try not to add to it. That's why Psychic and Ghost types are usually bad pairings, because they both share a ghost and dark weakness.

It was a mix up, the Choice item was meant to be on Infernape, and the Life Orb on Salamence, I've swapped them back, as well as changing Bronzong for Metagross, coz I think hes cool :)

From your suggestions, I think taking out Starmie would be beneficial, and I would like to run a replacement idea by you, it looks a bit like this...

Swampert @Leftovers

EVs: 240 HP / 58 Atk / 212 Def

Impish Nature

-Earthquake

-Avalanche

-Stone Edge

-Protect

Good looking team.

Standard Metagross Lead - Looks good, adding earthquake is a possible choice over meteor mash removing the redundant steel attacks. Though bullet punch and metoer smash is just as viable as earthquake and bullet punch.

If you are going to give it earthquake, give it 8-12 speed evs to outspeed and beat other metagross (Which are very common)

Hey everyone, here's my current Platinum team, I'm Now onto the Sweepers. The point of Infernape is to hit things fast and hard. After killing something, I then U-Turn and high tail it outta there, usually for Blissey or a different Sweeper.

After killing something, u-turn? I'm don't I fully understand this statement. You can't use two attacks with choice items, I'm probably misreading this though.

Overall this seems like it could be a really good team. It's lacking a wallbreaking which in my opinion is useful for well... wallbreaking.

Both Salamence and infernape are both really capable wallbreakers you should look into it.

Good luck!

True point about Infernape, I wrote that when his item was Life Orb, then switched the item and didn't notice the error, thanks you.

By the way, do you have any suggestions on how I could make either Salamence or Infernape a Wall breaker as opposed to their current status?

Heres an update for everyone, this time with pictures :)

260.png242.png212.png94.png373.png479.png

The general gist of the team is to have swampert set up SR, then have my powerhouses like Scizor and Salamence tear things apart, and have Rotom-H and Gengar come in to revenge kill when necessary. Blissey is great to switch in to, and she can wear things down with her immense SDef.

swampert.png

Swampert @Leftovers

EVs: HP 240/ Atk 58/ Def 212

Impish Nature

Ability: Torrent

-Avalanche

-Earthquake

-Roar

-Stealth Rocks

I've always had problems choosing a lead, I tried Bronzong, Ninjask, Skarmory and none of them worked for me. Swampert just had exactly what I wanted, he's bulky enough to take a few hits, he has SR which is an absolute must for leads IMO, and he has Roar, which tosses the opponent around a bit, either to find someone weak to Ice or Ground, in which case I use Avalanche/Earthquake and then carry on or to reveal some of their pokemon and let me plan ahead, after which I switch out to one of my other pokemon, using Swampert from then on as a switch in wall.

Weakness: Grass, covered by Scizor, Gengar, Salamence

blissey.png

Blissey @Leftovers

EVs: HP 148/ Def 252/ SAtk 108

Bold Nature

-Aromatherapy

-Ice Beam

-Seismic Toss

-Softboiled

Blissey is all round awesome for switching in against sweepers, when they think they'll have an easy go of it and suddenly seismic toss is doing more damage than their best offensive move. Aromatherapy takes care of all status effects flying around, Ice Beam is for anything resistant to seismic toss and of course softboiled keeps her healthy.

Weakness: fighting, covered by Gengar

scizor.png

Scizor @Leftovers

EVs: HP 200/ Atk 252/ Spd 56

Adamant Nature

Ability: Technician

-Bullet Punch

-Superpower

-Roost

-Swords Dance

Scizor is a good bulky attacker, but not amazingly fast. Against most opponents this is irrelevent thanks to Bullet punch for letting him go first. I set up with SD to turn him into the kind of sweeper that goes through whole teams. Finally, in case he gets walled by something resistant to steel and I can't switch out effectively, I gave him brick break. Roost keeps him alive after a SD or 2, and after a hit from whichever pokemon is resistant to steel.

Weakness: Fire, covered by Swampert, Salamence

gengar.png

Gengar @Life Orb

Timid Nature

-Shadow Ball

-Thunderbolt

-Focus Blast

-Hidden Power (Fire)

My team's Glass Hammer. The ultimate revenge killer. After he has come in a hit something very hard very fast, I either leave him to whatever is next, hoping they don't expect the Life Orb over a Choice item, or switch to Blissey.

Weakness: Ghost, covered by Blissey

Dark, covered by Scizor

Psychic, covered by Scizor

salamence.png

Salamence @Life Orb

EVs: 232 Atk / 26 SAtk / 252 Spd

Naughty Nature

-Outrage

-Earthquake

-Fire Blast

-Dragon Dance

Salamence is another fast killer, but with Outrage he is more general than Gengar, being about toscare anything except steel pretty much. I have chosen Dragon Dance over Aqua Tail, because i am happy Mence's ability to pull it off with this set up (any comments on that would be appreciated)

Weakness: Ice, covered by Scizor

Dragon, covered by Scizor

Rock, covered by Swampert

rotomheat.png

Rotom-H @Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe

Bold Nature

~ Thunderbolt

~ Shadow Ball

~ Overheat

~ Will-O-Wisp

And finally to round out the lot, Rotom-H. I really think he will be good for the team. His typing rounds the rest off nicely, and he is better as a Gyara counter than Electivire :)

Weakness: Ghost, covered by Blissey

Dark, covered by Scizor

Anywho, thats my team, sorry for being brief, but as I said I'm kinda new to this whole thing. Let me know what you think :)

Edited by bobdole4eva