Hack the Pal Park Region-Lock in Pokemon HG/SS

• 3 years later...

Poryhack, I'm running into trouble with CrystalTile2, none of the versions I tried worked for me. The save button remains disabled. I'm doing this from a Windows 8 virtual machine and also tested with different compatibility settings. Is there any ready-made IPS patch or alternative solution for a US ROM of HG/SS? Have you attempted using Action Replay codes for this? It might be a real alternative.

Thanks!

I haven't touched this project in quite some time so my memory may be spotty. I don't have a patch for the ROM as a whole and cheat codes are outside my area of expertise. CrystalTile has always been finicky for me as well. I think last time I used it I was able to save even though the program behaved as it it hadn't. I'm not sure if it's the result of some mistranslation or what.

There are probably other tools for the job but none I can name off the top of my head. What you're looking for is anything that supports replacing overlays with different sized files.

Which version did you use? How do you know it was saving? In my case it never says so. There are different versions in Filetrip but so far none of them seemed to work for me.

What exactly did you alter in the overlay? How can you decompress/compress it? ndstool.exe seems to work for repackaging, at least.

Update: I'm trying to do this for BPRS/AXVS cartridges (Spanish/EUR). I've tested both BLZ/DSDecmp and CrystalTile2 methods. The former involves using ndstool the previous unpacked ROM with the modified overlay. Unfortunately the size is not always the same.

Edited by kerneldev

Yeah the change in size is what causes the ROM to crash. Unfortunately I can't come up with anything of much help. The version was a september 2010 one. In a newer version that I used more recently I was able to save by closing out of the program and indicating (paradoxically) that I DIDN'T want to save the file. I go into detail about exactly what I edited in my first post. Compression/decompression is a context menu option in CrystalTile, but failing that I think there are also other (probably CLI) programs out there that will do the same thing.

use dsbuff to break apart the rom, decompress the overlay with blz, change what you need to change(without making the overlay bigger), recompress with blz, rebuild with dsbuff

if all you're doing is changing game ids, you aren't making the overlay any bigger.

use dsbuff to break apart the rom, decompress the overlay with blz, change what you need to change(without making the overlay bigger), recompress with blz, rebuild with dsbuff

if all you're doing is changing game ids, you aren't making the overlay any bigger.

Thanks Bond. For some reason I thought that simply decompressing then re-compressing the overlay had the possibility of changing its size but now that I type it I realize how silly it sounds.