PKHex not working for Pokemon Platinum Emulator save files?

locoman17

4 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

That save I linked you is brand new from right now after I saved in game 3 times. When the game pauses to save it only took like half a second which leads me to believe it's not actually saving the game or something.

The second half of the DSV has data, but given it's not a full save (save + backup), it doesn't seem usable without modifications.
(Data is too small, I doubt it contains any real save data.)

Here's what you can do:
1. save twice in-game (not state save, using the actual in-game menu)
2. soft reset the game (Control R I think)
3. Export as SAV. (desmume menu)

Try loading that .sav into PKHeX, then if it doesn't work, send it to me.

4 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

Sorry didnt see that post for a sec, here is the .sav after following your steps.

platinum SAV.sav 512 kB · 0 downloads

are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you saved in-game, and not just state saves?

image.png

the file is completely blank, and that is not normal.

If you soft-reset the game (Control R), and continue to the Title Screen, can you continue your progress.

Note: do not load state saves at any point of this test.

Just now, locoman17 said:

Okay I repeated this whole process without save states and deleted any states or .dsv files beforehand. When I soft-reset after saving in-game twice, it puts me back into the beginning prof. oak dialogue, here is the .dsv file anyway.

Pokemon Platinum.dsv 513.08 kB · 0 downloads

Okay, so after saving in-game, and you soft reset the game, does it continue from where you saved?

If so, soft reset the game, then export battery file as .sav and send that over.

nope, it doesnt. It puts me back into the beginning professor oak dialogue. Also, when I save in-game it only takes like half a second so it might not be saving correctly or something idk.

by any chance, are you loading a game inside a .rar or .zip package?

1 minute ago, locoman17 said:

No, all the ROMs and emulators are in a regular folder on my desktop.

In any case, since Desmume isn't producing any saves correctly, your issue is with Desmume, not with PKHeX, so you should go to their forums.
(as in I can't help you cause I don't know where Desmume is screwing up)

I tried googling for common issues regarding unable to save, and I see stuff like "delete desmume.ini and try again" and "maybe you're using a .rar instead",
but beyond that I'm not getting any real solutions.. :/

If you do manage to get it to work, do update us.
Hopefully deleting desmume.ini and trying to save does solve your problems..

Aw man i was hoping to avoid deleting desmume.ini because I have a bunch of settings on that I prefer. I'll make a copy of mine in a different folder and then delete the original to see if your process works then. Thanks anyway for trying to help me out again.

Aw man i was hoping to avoid deleting desmume.ini because I have a bunch of settings on that I prefer. I'll make a copy of mine in a different folder and then delete the original to see if your process works then. Thanks anyway for trying to help me out again.

yeah I can understand wanting to keep it, so just keep a copy somewhere else, and see if removing the file from desmume's root folder solves the problem.
If it does, you're gonna need to redo the settings. Maybe one of those settings somehow causes a save malfunction, you'll never know..

If so, pay attention to which settings you've done, performed a trial and error, and narrow down which settings you shouldn't mess with ><

Yup, after repeating those steps with a new desmume.ini file it allows me to continue the game and edit the file in PKHex. I'm gonna go through and see which settings are different.

well, it's glad to hear you can save now, even tho it's a pity that you lost your settings.

At least you now know what's the solution, and can focus on narrowing down the setting that caused it all

To anyone looking in this forum for answers to this problem. I changed the new desmume.ini file's graphical/video settings to something different and the solution above no longer works. There arent any other differences which is unfortunate because the game runs/looks like shit without the different graphical settings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

To anyone looking in this forum for answers to this problem. I changed the new desmume.ini file's graphical/video settings to something different and the solution above no longer works. There arent any other differences which is unfortunate because the game runs/looks like shit without the different graphical settings.

What graphical change is it? Also, try viewing the ini in notepad or something.

It's possible the option toggled something else to be changed (and that something else caused your save woes),
so use the notepad view to recognize the extra change.

If so, you can then use the notepad to change only what you intended, and see if that works.

The two .ini files are identical other than these 3D and Video settings

Renderer=2
HighResolutionInterpolateColor=1
EnableEdgeMark=1
EnableFog=1
EnableTexture=1
ZeldaShadowDepthHack=0
EnableLineHack=1
EnableAntiAliasing=1
EnableTXTHack=0
[Video]
Window Rotate=0
Filter=8
Width=512
Height=768
FPS Scaler Index=5
Window Size=0
Window width=512
Window height=768
WindowPosX=202
WindowPosY=118
Display Method Filter=1
Display Method=3
Window Rotate Set=0

This is what they look like in the new .ini file which works

[3D]
Renderer=2
[Video]
Window Rotate=0
Filter=0
Width=256
Height=384

unfortunately yeah. Game looks/runs so good with those options on tho 😢

Maybe that'll be rectified in a future desmume version?

At the very least, I think you have ground to report the issue to desmume, just in case they didn't know saving would stop working,
and was tied to graphic options.

The faster they know, they faster they can (hopefully) work on it, right? ><

• 2 weeks later...