Jump to content

PKHex not working for Pokemon Platinum Emulator save files?


locoman17
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have saved the state as a .dst and PKHex wont open it because it say the file is too large

I have exported the backup memory to a .sav file and that wont open saying the file is either an unsupported file type or too large

Nothing works and I'd like to make the program work. Any help is appreciated

PS. Pokegen does not work for me either, instead of saving the save state file, it saves to a useless .dmp file

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

I have saved the state as a .dst and PKHex wont open it because it say the file is too large

I have exported the backup memory to a .sav file and that wont open saying the file is either an unsupported file type or too large

Nothing works and I'd like to make the program work. Any help is appreciated

PS. Pokegen does not work for me either, instead of saving the save state file, it saves to a useless .dmp file

You're not supposed to use .dst. Use a .sav or .dsv.

The issue isn't the program, but more likely you're not providing the right save or a save with the right save size.
If it's not recognizing a .sav, it's because the save size is incorrect.

What emulator are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, theSLAYER said:

You're not supposed to use .dst. Use a .sav or .dsv.

The issue isn't the program, but more likely you're not providing the right save or a save with the right save size.
If it's not recognizing a .sav, it's because the save size is incorrect.

What emulator are you using?

I'm using DeSmuME and if I save the state of the game, it saves as a .dst, but if I export the backup memory, it saves as a .sav that is 512 KB. PKHex wont even open the file and pokegen will open it but wont show the pokemon on the save file.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

I'm using DeSmuME and if I save the state of the game, it saves as a .dst, but if I export the backup memory, it saves as a .sav that is 512 KB. PKHex wont even open the file and pokegen will open it but wont show the pokemon on the save file.

 

1. Check if this option matches the image below:
image.png

2. Also read our guide on how to get to the save.

3. And most importantly (I cannot stress this enough), make sure you're using the game's in-game menu to save the game. (Press X, then hit SAVE)

If you don't save the game via in-game menu, no .dsv would appear, and no .sav you dump would work.
(because... no save data exists. If you don't save normally, how would there be save data hmmm? )
image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

yes but there arent any new save files in there

Go to Config > Path Settings, and show me the path settings.
image.png

Confirm that "SaveRam" (or the equivalent) saves ".\Battery", proceed to save the game in-game, then close the emulator.
Then navigate to your DeSmuME folder, and go into the Battery folder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

okay, closed the emulator and a new .dsv showed up, I can edit it in pokegen (not in PKHex) but I'm not sure how to load the .dsv file after it's edited

erm, send over the .dsv for me to take a look. It doesn't make sense that PKHeX can't edit it.

The emulator loads straight from the .dsv in that folder; don't load a state when you load the game on the emu, just go straight to the title screen and hit Continue.

Also don't attempt to modify the .dsv when the emulator is open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, locoman17 said:

I opened the ROM and it starts up like a completely new game. Cant press continue

Pokemon Platinum - Copy.dsv 512 kB · 0 downloads

Save properly in-game twice. Also refer back to previous image I attached, regarding Auto Detect Savetype

You can load a save state, then save in-game twice, CTRL R to refresh game, then close emulator.

What version of DeSmuME are you on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, locoman17 said:

my auto detect savetype setting is the same as yours and I saved ingame multiple times

1. What version of DeSmuME are you on?
2. What version of PKHeX are you using? (if you're on the same version as me, no reason why you can't load the save)
3. How far are you into the game, did you use an absurd amount of cheats?

I can load your save.
image.png

But there's a weird issue with your PC. I'm not sure if you advanced far enough to get more Pokémon to initialize the PC,
or it's red cause of bad cheats.
image.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. im on version .9.11 of desmume

2. It is loading on my PKHeX now

3. I just got my first pokemon and havent set up the PC yet, Havent used any cheats whatsoever

 

my issue is that the game doesnt load the save file automatically

Edited by locoman17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

1. im on version .9.11 of desmume

2. It is loading on my PKHeX now

3. I just got my first pokemon and havent set up the PC yet, Havent used any cheats whatsoever

 

my issue is that the game doesnt load the save file automatically

There was something wrong with your .dsv. It appears you didn't save properly or something.
When I used PKHeX to save it as a .sav, and forced DeSmuME to load the .sav, it load up normally
I also went ahead to view your PC in-game, which fixed the PC issue.

In any case, I fixed it for you, and the game also loads from this .dsv. Use this instead (remember to rename the .dsv to match your game's name)
Platinum US Testing save.dsv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

okay, thank you. I got it to work. If i want to edit anything else would I just edit that .dsv file?

Yeah, but make sure you keep safe backups of unedited .dsv files elsewhere on your computer before making any edits :D
(many people lose their save progress by screwing up edits or deleting the wrong file by accident, so just a gentle reminder to always keep unedited saves safe)

 

To make edits, close the emulator, load up the .dsv file into PKHeX, then when the edits are done File > Export Save... > Export Main and overwrite the old .dsv in the Battery folder :3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Hey man, sorry to bother you about this same issue but I'm trying the same thing and this .dsv file just refuses to work. I've tried deleting the save file in .\battery and re-saving in-game but it wont load the save in game to let me press continue. Do you have any ideas of what to try?

 

Edit: It seems to be making a new .dsv save everytime I launch the game and replacing the old one instead of loading the old one

Edited by locoman17
clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So im trying to open the .dsv in PKHex and it is giving me the error that the file is too large. Also when I close Desmume and open it again, the ROM willl start a "new" pokemon game from the professor oak screen and wont let me continue.

 

edit: I also read through this forum post again and made sure i followed your steps

Pokemon Platinum.dsv

Edited by locoman17
clarification
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, locoman17 said:

So im trying to open the .dsv in PKHex and it is giving me the error that the file is too large. Also when I close Desmume and open it again, the ROM willl start a "new" pokemon game from the professor oak screen and wont let me continue.

Pokemon Platinum.dsv 514.26 kB · 0 downloads

Did you even save in-game? (you know, the image I linked a few posts ago)

The save you sent me has absolutely no usable data, as tho there isn't a save.
Of course PKHeX wouldn't open that.

Do you see how all FF is an abnormal situation?

image.png

edit: The second half of the save does seem to have data, but it seems abnormal.
Please save the game twice before you try loading it into PKHeX.

After saving the game twice in-game, and it still doesn't work, send that save to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...