pokemon colosseum question

paulydoregon

so the common belief is that its possible for the shadow pokemon to be shiny for the opponent and not you, however with colo hunts becoming more popular in recent years and with no recent proof of this occuring, me and some fellow colosseum hunters are wondering if its actually true. i have yet to see anyone post anywhere of this happening, and the only 2 vids we have of this occuring on youtube are a bit suspicious. suspicious as in they record it happening during a rematch battle. that means it would have to had been shiny in the first match to( seems kinda odd that they would record the second one and not the first). 

can anyone here do some sort of check to see if it is in fact possible for shadow pokemon to be shiny for the opponent and not you? thanks

51 minutes ago, paulydoregon said:

suspicious as in they record it happening during a rematch battle. that means it would have to had been shiny in the first match to( seems kinda odd that they would record the second one and not the first).

If they did not have a setup for recording during the first match, at least they know they'll be able to record it for the second match. Sounds like a less riskier option, as opposed to throwing the match and having the AI's TID/SID reset.

The AI's TID/SID being rerolled before the battle can be seen here:

Also, bulbapedia has a page showing the 'glitch', with a linked video.
If I'm not mistaken, this Skarmory is the first battle too. (has Granbull, so it's not. Is Gonzap an avoidable trainer?)

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts.

I'm pretty sure this mechanic is well understood by now, but I felt that words from you would be more compelling.
If you may, @Collector Togami.

12 minutes ago, paulydoregon said:

make sense, though you got to admit with all the hunts as of recent it is kinda odd no ones had this happen to them yet, dont ya think?

No, that's how RNG works lol. Well sit tight, it'll probably pop up at some time.
(also not sure if you saw the Skarmory video I edited into my response above. It's the first battle too, that Skarmory)

Or maybe if @Collector Togami feels like it, he could RNG one to prove it, though I'm not sure if he'll feel so inclined.
edit: Collector Togami, based on reading bulbapedia, Gonzap doesn't appear to be an avoidable trainer. Is the TID/SID of the AI set throughout the game, once the first battle was completed?

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression my video on the subject matter covered it well, but here's a TLDR.

The Pokemon's PiD is set when it is first faced and the game says it is a shadow. If, at that point, you capture it or simply defeat the trainer, then the PiD is permanently retained for the next time you face the trainer. The AI's TiD/SiD combination is always randomized. As such it is entirely possible for a Pokemon to be a shiny or even nonshiny for a given AI trainer.

May as well clarify on the following points while we're at it: The moment you capture a Pokemon, its shininess for you is determined. The "???" on the OT name/ID is merely an aesthetics thing, the actual IDs are yours if you were to look in the RAM. Another common misconception is that purification takes away or even gives shininess. That is also false.

In conclusion it is possible for the same shadow Pokemon to be shiny and nonshiny on the same AI trainer, and it is also possible for it to be shiny for you but not the AI, and vice versa. My video that Slayer posted on the subject matter covers such scenarios.

• Hahaha 1

• 1 month later...

i know this is kinda a dead topic but i learned some interesting info on the subject today. i was able to get in contact with the person who came across the shiny shadow skarmory that was shiny for gonzap and not him. he told me that as far as he can remember it was not shiny when he first batlled evice. so does that mean it can be shiny for the opponent during the first battle and during the rematch? or am i still missing something? sorry from bringing this thought to be ended topic. sorry again if this is redundant and the video explains this scenario as well and i glossed over it

Edited by paulydoregon