Using PKHeX: PID Mismatch - Origin Game DPPT HGSS

This guide to resolve any issues users get when they try to change nature or PID of a Pokémon from Gen 3 or Gen 4. 
DO NOT USE ANY POKéMON WITH MODIFIED PID ONLINE!

Foreword
The reason why people get various PID-Mismatch or Invalid Encounter type of messages, is because they did not modify the Pokémon correctly.

In Generations 3 and 4, due to an in-depth understanding of how the Pseudo-Random Number Generator works (as well as game mechanics), the Personality Value (PID) is tied to various other values related to the Pokémon generation procedure in-game, such as Individual Values (IVs), Gender, Ability slot, Nature, and Encounter Slot. (Encounter slot refers to the programmed data in a table, that hosts a list of level and species that can be encountered in a map)

TL;DR: Due to how RNG is called, PID, IVs, Nature, Gender, Ability, Encounter slot are related and can be derived.

Basic Preparation
1. Pokefinder will be the tool we use to find correct information (PID/IVs etc)
2. Time and patience. I cannot stress this enough.
3. Know whether the specific Pokémon is Stationary/Gift or Grass/Cave/Surfing/Fishing/Rock Smash wild encounters.
4. Begin with 'priority of information' in mind. Which is more important: PID or IVs? That will be your starting point.
This will be basis for choosing Search via PID or Search via IVs below.

Note: Do know that there are scenarios where the PID or IVs you want would be impossible. Learn to adapt to such scenarios.

5. If you're trying to make a shiny, and TID/SID isn't all that important to you, ignore shininess for now.
(There's a Shinification portion further down. Run through the regular steps first)

Search via PID - Stationary/Gift

Spoiler

Before we begin:

If Listed Below, Method 1:

For DPP:
Starter gift, Wild Roamers, Fossil Gifts, NPC Egg gifts, Platinum's Porygon Gift, Gift Manaphy Egg, In-game gifts

For HGSS:
Starters gift, Wild Roamers, Fossil Gifts, NPC Egg gifts, Sinjoh Ruins Dragon, Gift Manaphy Egg, In-game gifts (including Game Corner prizes)

Else:
DPPT uses Method J, and HGSS uses Method K.

Note: HGSS Lake of Rage Red Gyarados is via Chained Shiny Method.

Let's say for this example, we're trying to fix Darkrai caught in Platinum.

image.png

1. Pokefinder > Gen 3 Tools > PID to IV (yes, this isn't a typo)
image.png

2. Paste PID into the textbox, and Generate.
image.png

3. While keeping PID to IV window open, go back to main window Gen 4 - Stationary
image.png

4. Select Searcher, select Method 1, paste in the IVs from a Method 1 spread from the PID to IV window,
set the delay and frame to as per the image below, and Search.
We are reconfirming that the spread can be found for DPPT HGSS.

Note: If the Pokémon isn't Stationary Encounter (eg: Gift, Roaming), Lead has to be None.
image.png

5. Once we confirm the PID/IV spread indeed exists (in example above, 2nd line), copy the IVs to the Pokémon.
image.png

Search via PID - Wild

Spoiler

Before we begin: Wild Encounters in DPPT uses Method J, and HGSS uses Method K.

Example: I have a PID, but do not know what IVs it should have
image.png

1. Launch Pokefinder > Gen 3 Tools > PID to IV (not a typo)
image.png

2. Paste PID into the textbox, and Generate. image.png

3. While keeping PID to IV window open, go back to main window Gen 4 - Wild
image.png

4. Select intended game as profile. If you don't have a profile, set up a simple one.
Since this example is based on Gible from Platinum, that'll be my chosen game.
image.pngimage.png

5. Select Searcher, select Method (DPPT uses Method J, and HGSS uses Method K),
Input Encounter type and Location (refer to PKHeX), Input Time [of day], Input Frame & Delay as per below,
and Input IVs (refer to PID to IV), then hit Search.

We are reconfirming that the spread can be found for DPPT HGSS.
image.png

Note: Time is important, as some Routes and encounters vary based on Time.

Note: Make sure you select correct encounter types too:
image.png
Also: Cave encounters uses the same procedure as Grass encounters.

6. Check if the PID generated and the Met Level given is the same as the one on your Pokémon (or the Level you decided on)
Met level only applies if on Generation 4 save. If it's been transferred up, Met level changes.
image.png

Two things you can do if the Level differs:
a. Modify the Met Level on your Pokémon
b. Cycle through Location and/or Time (if it's in a cave system where Encounter Rate changes at every level)

If you go through (b), and you still cannot get the desired PID, it's likely this PID/IV/level combo is not possible to encounter for this Pokémon at the selected location. Go back to Step 2, select a different one.

7. If PID and level matches, simply modify your Pokémon with the correct stats generated, such as IVs.
image.png

Search via IVs - Stationary/Gift

Spoiler

Before we begin:

If Listed Below, Method 1:

For DPP:
Starter gift, Wild Roamers, Fossil Gifts, NPC Egg gifts, Platinum's Porygon Gift, Gift Manaphy Egg

For HGSS:
Starters gift, Wild Roamers, Fossil Gifts, NPC Egg gifts, Sinjoh Ruins Dragon, Gift Manaphy Egg

Else:
DPPT uses Method J, and HGSS uses Method K.

Note: HGSS Lake of Rage Red Gyarados is via Chained Shiny Method.

Example: I want to modify a Darkrai captured in Platinum to be Flawless/Near Flawless IVs, but I do not know what the PID should have.
[For this example, we are using Method 1, even though Darkrai should be Method J; old images]
image.png

1. Open Pokefinder > Gen 4 - Stationary
image.png

2. Select Searcher, Method 1, input wanted IVs, set frame and delay as per image below, Search.
image.png
Note: If the Pokémon isn't Stationary Encounter (eg: Gift, Roaming), Lead has to be None.

3. Copy PID and Nature over to the Pokémon
image.png

Search via IVs - Wild

Spoiler

Before we begin: Wild Encounters in DPPT uses Method J, and HGSS uses Method K.

Example: I have a set of IVs I want, but do not know what PID it should be
image.png

1. Pokefinder > Gen 4 - Wild
image.png

2. Select intended game as profile. If you don't have a profile, set up a simple one.
Since this example is based on Luxray (evolved Shiny) in Platinum, that'll be my chosen game.
image.pngimage.png

3. Select Searcher, select Method (DPPT uses Method J, and HGSS uses Method K),
Input Encounter type and Location (refer to PKHeX), Input Time [of day], Input Frame & Delay as per below,
and Input IVs, then hit Search.

You may want to allow some range for IVs, cause not every encounter and location allows for Flawless IVs.
image.png

4. Pick the PID and details you like, input it into PKHeX.
image.png

Shinification

Spoiler

There's 2 ways to make a Pokémon shiny:
a. When Search via IVs (for shiny PID), input the intended TID/SID and select Shiny Only
image.png
This method isn't perfect, as not every PID/IV/Nature combo would result in a shiny Pokémon for the particular chosen TID/SID combo

b. After obtaining wanted PID/IV/Nature combo, use the PID to find shiny TID/SID combo.
Using this Darkrai as an example:
image.png

B1. Pokefinder > Gen 4 - IDs
image.png

B2. Paste the PID in, set Delay, and Search. After a few seconds, hit Cancel, and the results will appear.

If you want a specific TID, click on Search for TID, and input wanted TID.
image.png

B3. Now, copy and paste the found TID and SID into the Pokémon
image.png

View full tutorial

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have a problem, I captured Arceus using the Azure flute that I got as a mystery gift when I connected with the emulator to the CWF, but when using pkhex it came out as illegal, it says: "Invalid: Arceus from Hall of Origin. Unreleased Event." and I don't know how to fix it. I hope you can help me, thank you.

10 minutes ago, Zeroxdz said:

I captured Arceus using the Azure flute

well..

"Invalid: Arceus from Hall of Origin. Unreleased Event."

You kinda answered your own statement, by reading out the legality status from PKHeX.

The event is not released. Hence not legal. Do you not get it? ><

• Like 1

Hello, I have a problem, I captured Arceus using the Azure flute that I got as a mystery gift when I connected with the emulator to the CWF, but when using pkhex it came out as illegal, it says: "Invalid: Arceus from Hall of Origin. Unreleased Event." and I don't know how to fix it. I hope you can help me, thank you.

You can't fix it. PKHex will always mark it as illegal because the event was never released, so it could never be captured legally.

6 minutes ago, Zeroxdz said:

Ok, I understand, I did not know, when I looked for how to capture it in Diamond, it came out that if it could, that's why I thought that the event had been for that version. Thanks for clarifying.

The event was programmed into the game, but GF/TPCi/Ninty ended up never releasing it.
You can hack the item/flag into your game to catch it, but it is still illegal, because there was no official distribution for it.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering, how exactly would I find the PID for an edited pokemon (a Scyther specifically) from the Bug-Catching Contest in HGSS? It takes place in the National Park and I imagine it would be considered a "wild pokemon" as it's manually caught, but PokeFinder doesn't show it in the list of pokemon in the National Park, nor does it show any other pokemon in the Bug-Catching Contest. I wanted to change the Scyther's nature and IVs, but can't seem to narrow down where/how it appears in PokeFinder.

Edit: It seems that searching through the "Stationary/Gift" method(s) rather than the "Wild" method works, though I had to fiddle around with the gender and IVs a bit.

Edited by Arbn

On 5/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, Arbn said:

Just wondering, how exactly would I find the PID for an edited pokemon (a Scyther specifically) from the Bug-Catching Contest in HGSS? It takes place in the National Park and I imagine it would be considered a "wild pokemon" as it's manually caught, but PokeFinder doesn't show it in the list of pokemon in the National Park, nor does it show any other pokemon in the Bug-Catching Contest. I wanted to change the Scyther's nature and IVs, but can't seem to narrow down where/how it appears in PokeFinder.

Edit: It seems that searching through the "Stationary/Gift" method(s) rather than the "Wild" method works, though I had to fiddle around with the gender and IVs a bit.

How did you end up getting it to work? I'm trying to do the same for a Scyther from the National Park. I'm trying to change it's nature and ability but haven't found one that works yet.

3 minutes ago, Mekanor said:

How did you end up getting it to work? I'm trying to do the same for a Scyther from the National Park. I'm trying to change it's nature and ability but haven't found one that works yet.

If I'm being frank, I'm not sure if they got it to work as they intended.
(and I don't have the solution).

I'm guessing they just went with any Method 1/2/4 PID-IV combo and threw in a random level that is possible for that encounter.
I don't think PKHeX checks into encounter slots, so any PID-IV that fits Method 1/2/4 probably gets flagged as legal.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, Mekanor said:

Searched for it in PokeFinder via the Gen 4 Stationary window. Allowing the (useless) Sp.Atk IVs to range between 0-31 seems to have allowed for more results, and I'm not sure of any other methods existing for legally edited Bug-Catching Contest pokemon. It was definitely flagged as legal afterwards, though I haven't tried transferring it to other games to see if it's blocked for any reason.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, Arbn said:

It was definitely flagged as legal afterwards, though I haven't tried transferring it to other games to see if it's blocked for any reason.

The games have little to bone legality checking, so I doubt they would be blocked.

On 5/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, Arbn said:

Searched for it in PokeFinder via the Gen 4 Stationary window. Allowing the (useless) Sp.Atk IVs to range between 0-31 seems to have allowed for more results, and I'm not sure of any other methods existing for legally edited Bug-Catching Contest pokemon

I’m glad you shared your method, but as I said previously, it may not be properly legal. IIRC PKHeX doesn’t include encounter slots and met level (in unison) based on RNG into the checks. As long as the PIDIV has the correct methods of 1/2/4 (which not all may be possible due to the mon only being catchable in certain encounter slots), it’ll appear legal when it’s actually illegal.

so the real question is during National park bug catching, are the mons restricted by encounter slots (which frankly they probably are). I might post an update.

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

The games have little to bone legality checking, so I doubt they would be blocked.

I’m glad you shared your method, but as I said previously, it may not be properly legal. IIRC PKHeX doesn’t include encounter slots and met level (in unison) based on RNG into the checks. As long as the PIDIV has the correct methods of 1/2/4 (which not all may be possible due to the mon only being catchable in certain encounter slots), it’ll appear legal when it’s actually illegal.

so the real question is during National park bug catching, are the mons restricted by encounter slots (which frankly they probably are). I might post an update.

I'm not really well-versed on encounter slots, especially since I'm not even sure entirely how the Bug-Catching Contest functions in relation to how caught pokemon are registered. I guess I just saw the "legal" checkmark appear after enough fidgeting and jumped on it.

• 11 months later...
54 minutes ago, paf said:

How could I gen a Pokewalker PID type for Gen 4 HG/SS pkm?I did not see in tutorial

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Pokéradar has known correlations. It has restrictions to what value could exist, but I don't think there's correlations. You're better off using Encounter Database on PKHeX to generate one.

4 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Pokéradar has known correlations. It has restrictions to what value could exist, but I don't think there's correlations. You're better off using Encounter Database on PKHeX to generate one.

In encounter database, I could find just one pokewalker pid that hold all the natures of my pkms as hard it does not matter what pkm is and the pokewalker pid is always the same.isn't there a tool or rule to gen the pokewalker pids?I could note for two legals pkms I have here that at least 4 digts of that pid as letter ''F'' but I don't know if this is a rule

Edited by paf

2 hours ago, paf said:

In encounter database, I could find just one pokewalker pid that hold all the natures of my pkms as hard it does not matter what pkm is and the pokewalker pid is always the same.isn't there a tool or rule to gen the pokewalker pids?I could note for two legals pkms I have here that at least 4 digts of that pid as letter ''F'' but I don't know if this is a rule

I did say I think there's no correlations, right?

And I also said "It has restrictions to what value could exist", so that perhaps is the 'rule' you've mentioned?

Assuming this information isn't inaccurate, this is probably what you're looking for in terms of 'rules':

Else, look at PKHeX Pokewalker's documentation.

Cheers.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, theSLAYER said:

I did say I think there's no correlations, right?

And I also said "It has restrictions to what value could exist", so that perhaps is the 'rule' you've mentioned?

Assuming this information isn't inaccurate, this is probably what you're looking for in terms of 'rules':

Else, look at PKHeX Pokewalker's documentation.

Cheers.

Where could I found pkhex pokewalker's documentation?

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, _CanCan said:

youve said not to use them online but why? and what if i make them legal?

Doesn’t matter. It’s something you made using third party tools. Thus hacked.

It being legal just means it wasn’t hacked to a illegal standard. Depending on what you’ve done, it is likely significantly hacked.

Using significantly hacked stuff against unsuspecting opponents are against our site rules.

Read up on what qualifies as significantly hacked as per our rules.

• Like 1