Two Questions about Hacking Pokemon Platinum

Hey, all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this question. I'm a huge Pokemaniac who, after 20 years of designing Fakemon, has finally learned about this awesome tool that should allow an individual to hack the source code of the games I love so much. I just have to say, I find the device very intuitive and love the work you have all put into it, but that leads to two major questions:

1. I just got around to testing my Platinum version hack that I've been working on for a few days. I've changed the encounters on the first route and at Lake Verity as well as modified the stats, etc, of all of the Pokemon I want to have available to that point. My ultimate goal is to create a "perfect" Pokemon world, one where every type is balanced, every Pokemon is balanced and every Pokemon is readily available. To this end, I have modified the type compatibility chart to suit my ends. That all seems to work as intended for the first battle. Here's the problem though:

After the avatar and the rival get to Lake Verity, the game simply... freezes. The emulator is still running and can be reset to the previous save state, but the game itself will not play past that point. I'm rather despondent and was hoping someone could tell me why the game freezes. I changed the dialogue back to how it originally was (I only made a few changes) and I even tried recompiling the save data, but the game still freezes.

2. Is there a way to read in, say, a text file full of stats and moves into the rom hacker as opposed to typing each datafield by hand? Even if I knew what overlays contained that data and how to manipulate it to my end, I would be satisfied. I'm a professional coder and I can easily handle creating my own backend overlay rewriting code, but I don't really want to enter all of this data again if I have to start over or, say, want to incorporate these stats into other games. Is there a clearly identifiable set of hex pairings, like there was for the typing, that changes a Pokemon's type, movepool, ability, etc, and, if so, how could I manipulate it en masse?

• 1 year later...

I can't help with your first question, but for your second one check out this page for the structure of /poketool/personal/pl_personal.narc which is the file with all the stats in the platinum rom.

You'll want to ignore the inital data. just look for 26 consecutive 0x00 bytes around offset 0x1020, that is the start of the pokemon data.

Edited by Delta Blast Burn
more info