Pokémon HOME

theSLAYER

image (1).png

The Pokémon 2019 Press Conference introduced a key app that would likely grab the attention of core series players and Pokémon Go players alike: Pokémon HOME.

It was described as an app that can communicate with Pokémon Bank, Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee, Pokémon Sword & Shield, and also Pokémon Go. It also announced that there will be global trades via the internet, as well as a feature that allows for local trading via the app on a mobile device. It was also announced that they intend to add a feature that allows multiple players in the local area to be able to take part in the same trade. (Maybe some kind of Wonder Trade mashup, anyone?)
image.png

Here is a graphic they used to illustrate the transfers:

image (2).png

At the very least, this implies no Go Park in SWSH. Important to note that only SWSH can transfer to and fro.
This app cannot be used to bypass Pokémon Go's trading limitations, since you cannot transfer back to Go.

They plan to launch the system early 2020. It is not known whether it will be a worldwide simultaneous release, or have staggered regional release dates.

It is important to note that Pokémon Bank is a similar system that allowed for transfers across games. During it's initial simultaneous worldwide release, the servers could not withstand the load and crashed (besides my memory, source).

Likewise, when Pokémon Go was initially released, even though the app appeared in app stores gradually, the servers were still unable to withstand the load, which ended up with various kinds of lag spikes and sometimes inability for players to log in (once again, another source that isn't just from my memory)

What kind of initial launch issues could be in store for us? Only time would tell...

Official page article: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/big-pokemon-news-from-tokyo/
Official twitter link: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1133542097372377088
Official video link of full conference (English): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWkBjxvBok

• Like 3

The ability to trade Pokemon directly from Pokemon Home seems a really nice feature, especially for those of us who play Pokemon Go and might actually randomly meet someone else who plays the core games. I can certainly see this been useful as I generally leave my Switch at home most of the time.

I’m also pleased it seems we should be able to store all Pokemon from Go on the Switch in the near future. The amount of time I’ve put in to Pokemon Go I certainly want to keep these Pokemon somewhere safe if I ever stop playing, or Pokemon Go is closed down many years from now.

I'm really excited for this, I was hoping we'd get something like it. Even with a travel bag, the Switch is.. a bit clunker than I'd like it to be, so the focus on portability and easy trading is very nice. I just hope that HOME in general is free, since you're already paying your yearly $5/equivalent for Bank functionality.

It being a means to move Pokemon from Go to Sword/Shield also sounds fantastic-- here's hoping that Pokemon from Go will keep event moves and other things that keep them unique. It makes for a pretty cool reason to collect a whole bunch of Pokemon from Go over time.
I know there was worry about that being potentially game-breaking, but most officially-competitive formats don't allow anything that isn't from the core games' native region. It's pretty rare to see an online (or real-life) competition that allows Pokemon from past generations or from Virtual Console / elsewhere. And even so, most of the "weird" attacks on Go stuff aren't game-breaking in the slightest from what I've seen. It's all just typical stuff like Ice Beam on Lapras, Body Slam on Snorlax, and the elemental Hyper Beams on starters... which all of those can learn in the core games anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...

I transcribed the English portions of the important information.
Also, don't let anyone tell you it's mistranslated. It certainly is not.

The TL;DR: version is highlight in BOLD, but I recommend reading the whole portion for proper context.

Masuda (via our favorite translator):
Yeah, there is one thing I would like to talk about and it's about the Pokémon HOME service that we recently announced. So it will connect with the Pokémon RPGs as well as Pokémon GO, to allow players to really gather all of their Pokémon in a single location, and of course it will also work with Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games.

But there is one important change from the previous Pokémon Bank service that I want to tell all of it's users about.

So in previous games that work with the Pokémon Bank service, you were able to for example in Sun & Moon, bring over any Pokémon even if they weren't in the Alola Pokédex.

But with the transition to the Nintendo Switch hardware with it's, you know, it being much more powerful allowing us to be much more expressive with each of the individual Pokémon...

...and now we're well over 800 erh, Pokémon species in the games.

At GAME FREAK, we really spend a lot of time thinking about what the best way to move forward was, really preserving the quality of all the different Pokémon, while also you know taking into account the battle balance having so many different Pokémon available, all within, you know, limited development time, so we don't keep fans waiting too long for every new entry in the series.

and after a lot of discussion, we decided to come to, kind of, a new direction...

...and so what that means for Pokémon Sword and Shield is that players will be able to transfer their Pokémon from Pokémon HOME, only if they appear in the Galar region Pokédex.

So we were very careful, we spent a lot of time really thinking what the best selection of Pokémon to match the setting of the adventure would be.

So I'll talk more about the details in future opportunities such as media interviews, but I wanted to let you know today.

I know that there a lot of users of the Pokémon Bank service who are looking forward to Pokémon HOME, so I wanted to let them know what the change would be well in advance.

Question: But of course as somebody whose been hunting for a lot of Shiny Pokémon in Pokémon Let's Go,
any of those Pokémon that do appear in Pokémon Sword and Shield, I'll still be able to transfer, erh,
from Pokémon Let's Go to Pokémon Sword and Shield through Pokémon HOME, correct?

Answer: Yeah, as long as they're in the Galar region Pokédex, you can transfer them from HOME.

The portion mentioned from the video starts from here (24:54)

• Teary-Eyed 1

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

I transcribed the English portions of the important information.
Also, don't let anyone tell you it's mistranslated. It certainly is not.

The TL;DR: version is highlight in BOLD, but I recommend reading the whole portion for proper context.

The portion mentioned from the video starts from here (24:54)

-video snipped, window big-

Thanks for this.

All of this is a gigant mess in my opinion. I personaly will not buy the game anymore becouse...why i should give you my money for a product that is not even finish? I prefer to wait and "pick a god and prey" that this situation will be fix in the future. I can still enjoy the Generation 8 in other wise like anime, manga, tcg and fan art.

Aside from my decision of saving money, in the hope that they fix this, i think this is gonna be their way to "fixing" the problem  of genning pokemon. The problem is this is gonna make the problem even worst, even if you don't program the pokemon in they are gonna still genning all the mon that are in. Also this hurt legit player as well, becouse pepole that have work hard to build their living dex or simply have a large collection that they want to bring in the game now they cannot. According to this also it seems that this is gonna be the new norm (i hope is not), even when they make a Gen4 remake you will still not able for sure to bring all the pokemon in.

D817ICyXYAI7iG_.jpg.426955fb6967350b182de97b60e3246d.jpg

I hope they can change their mind but this is litteraly how you remove the old player from your game. Is almost what happen back in Gen3.

45 minutes ago, PedroKeitawa said:

The problem is this is gonna make the problem even worst, even if you don't program the pokemon in they are gonna still genning all the mon that are in.

You can't gen in something that doesn't exist, tho. Couldn't gen a functional Chikorita in LGPE, since they blocked it (became bad egg). If they really don't program in various stats and data for the missing Pokémon, the only way around it is some super convoluted ROM hack...

Yup, for the "new direction" portion, the word Masuda used was indeed "Houshin", which (google) translates to Policy.
When you think of it being a "company wanting to follow a new direction", it does sound like "company policy", so the translation fits.

I was thinking they intend to make HOME a place where hoarders can hoard all their favorite Pokémon, but moving forward, only the "best selection of Pokémon to match the setting of the adventure".

I have conflicted feelings about this. I personally think it is a terrifying prospect (and this cannot be understated), however I have to acknowledge the fact that I didn't use all 800+ Pokémon in SM and USUM. They were mostly just.. there as a living dex. le sigh.

59 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You can't gen in something that doesn't exist, tho. Couldn't gen a functional Chikorita in LGPE, since they blocked it (became bad egg). If they really don't program in various stats and data for the missing Pokémon, the only way around it is some super convoluted ROM hack...

Yup, for the "new direction" portion, the word Masuda used was indeed "Houshin", which (google) translates to Policy.
When you think of it being a "company wanting to follow a new direction", it does sound like "company policy", so the translation fits.

I was thinking they intend to make HOME a place where hoarders can hoard all their favorite Pokémon, but moving forward, only the "best selection of Pokémon to match the setting of the adventure".

I have conflicted feelings about this. I personally think it is a terrifying prospect (and this cannot be understated), however I have to acknowledge the fact that I didn't use all 800+ Pokémon in SM and USUM. They were mostly just.. there as a living dex. le sigh.

Probably i should word that better. (See the bold part) but i was essentialy try to say what you have said, the only problem is my english is trash. Becouse if this is a way to "solve" the hacking problem..is not a good one.

Just now, PedroKeitawa said:

Probably i should word that better. (See the bold part) but i was essentialy try to say what you have said, the only problem is my english is trash. Becouse if this is a way to "solve" the hacking problem..is not a good one.

No worries mate. Well even if you hack one in, it's not like it can be traded or used online anyway..

But yeah, it is ironic that they want to reduce hacking (of any form), and they do things that make people wanna hack even more.

You know what would be the biggest hit for evrybody both genners and legit player? If Ditto was not in the Galar Pokedex. I was reading some post made by Joe Merrick and i have completly forgot that in the last purge....i mean jump to new hardware from Gen2 to Gen3 Ditto was not avalible in the first par of game.

So if you still buy and play the game and you have a bank of legit ditto obtain with hard work: pick a god and pray.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PedroKeitawa said:

You know what would be the biggest hit for evrybody both genners and legit player? If Ditto was not in the Galar Pokedex. I was reading some post made by Joe Merrick and i have completly forgot that in the last purge....i mean jump to new hardware from Gen2 to Gen3 Ditto was not avalible in the first par of game.

So if you still buy and play the game and you have a bank of legit ditto obtain with hard work: pick a god and pray.

Yeah I saw that too.

Not having Ditto being HOME'd up, would certainly make legit breeding max IVs slightly more tedious. But all in the name of 'game-balancing', I suppose.

54 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Yeah I saw that too.

Not having Ditto being HOME'd up, would certainly make legit breeding max IVs slightly more tedious. But all in the name of 'game-balancing', I suppose.

It’s a little tedious, but totally do able.  I did that before the Bank can out in XY.  However, I believe if Ditto isn’t available that would encourage players to hack Pokémon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Yeah I saw that too.

Ditto is to OP with is ability of transform in anything. The relase a monster over the metagame since RBGY, even Mega Ray cannot stand this power.

13 hours ago, Poke J said:

It’s a little tedious, but totally do able.  I did that before the Bank can out in XY.  However, I believe if Ditto isn’t available that would encourage players to hack Pokémon.

Yeah i remenber that too. For me it was more of a long process but not impossible, the end resoult ware a bit "disappointing" but ehy it was a starting point.

I was disappointed Gen 7 had no national Pokedex, however I could still transfer all my Pokemon up and they were usable.

In Gen 7 they did also fix Pokemon not been able to be transferred from Gen 1 and 2, so it was the first Generation all your Pokemon could exist in, from all the past games. Perfect! I was excited about this.

Now if I take this living dex and my old teams to Gen 8 a lot of the Pokemon essentially become useless, their stuck in Pokemon Home and unable to be transferred to any game from there.

So what’s the point? You’d be better off keeping them in Gen 7 until the 3DS internet service is going to be discontinued, then you kinda have to transfer them if you don’t wish for them to be stuck forever in a past generation.

Granted I do always backup my Pokemon saves before transferring everything to a new generation, as I like to keep things in that generation, its nice to go back at a later date and see everything as it was.

I must be honest only a fraction of the Pokemon been available in Gen 8 does spoil the appeal of the new game for me, I’m sure I’ll play it and still enjoy it, however from the point of view as someone who loves collecting Pokemon its rather disappointing in that respect.

I'd hope another Gen 8 game allows you to store all the current Pokemon on it, i'd sooner keep my Pokemon locally, rather than on a cloud service. My living dex and current Pokemon collection spans three physical games in Gen 7 at the moment.

I guess in some ways Pokemon Home is perfect for me in that respect, however I still want to be able to use all these Pokemon in a current game if desired and have the option to keep them stored on a local game.

Edited by InsaneNutter
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...