1. I downloaded the TWLSaveTool  .zip file and extracted it to the root of my microSD card.

2. I also downloaded the .cia file and left it in microSD/cias/TWLSaveTool.cia

3. I switched to my 2DS XL with pokemon dream radar installed. Then I launched homebrew but TWL save tool had an undecipherable caption and lauching it only loaded one line of text (see pictures provided.) After that. the only thing i can do is power off my 2DS which leads to the picture provided that starts with "An exception occurred."

4. Since homebrew didnt work, i tried installing the .cia file now using fbi first and then dev menu. I got the TWLSaveTool to appear on the home menu but launching it results in the scenario i mentioned; black screen with one line of text.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

CHECK VIDEO PROVIDED AS WELL OF MY 3DS MICRO SD CARD.

15577934096157960108178070795108.jpg

15577934499247636746132145413177.jpg

20190513_200217.jpg

• Like 1

@0ranges_justice we're not a Homebrew support forum. Sigh.

I could still try to help, but don't expect much.
How are you accessing Luma. B9S? Steelhax? Is your Luma and 3DS fully updated?

(Also, I don't think the video is any help. To those who see this post, don't bother watching it.
OP just shows that TWL folder in root is empty, and the TWL folder in homebrew has the .3dsx)

7 minutes ago, 0ranges_justice said:

yes luma and my 3ds are fully updated. i havent installed steelhax or B9s

do i need those?

Launch your 3DS, while holding down Select. Take a photo of that black screen with settings on it.

edit: Your stuck screen looks similar to this.
the post below says that happens with bootleg games. Have you tried to extract other NDS games?

edit again: Also try this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-twlsavetool-v1-0.412887/page-17#post-7429621

14 minutes ago, 0ranges_justice said:

15577954808965911051671226927939.jpg

Yup, you're booting from B9S. I'm afraid that TWLsavetool hasn't been updated in a while. (tho it's been working fine for me all this time, even on updated luma)

It's possible your game is a bootleg copy.

Here's a few things I want you to try.
1. Try dumping other NDS games on checkpoint (to see if the saves come out right)
2. Insert other games, while accessing the TWLsavetool (the method you used that gave you the screen with the title)

Also, try the Disable Arm11 exception option.

---edit---

In any case, I know that this thread came from you wanting to extract your save on checkpoint.
If nothing seems to work, I suggest you leave an issue post on checkpoint.

Looking at this post, it doesn't produce the correct cart image just like yours, if yours is indeed a fake game, you probably need to let him know so he can add it.

i dont have any other nds games with me at the moment. i can try and find one on e shop either free or cheap. or does it have to be a cartridge?

I watched some videos earlier on identifying fake cartridges but my heartgold passed all the tests. But ill make a leave an isuue post. Also, let who know?

forgot about the multipost thing, srry

Edited by 0ranges_justice

7 hours ago, 0ranges_justice said:

i dont have any other nds games with me at the moment. i can try and find one on e shop either free or cheap. or does it have to be a cartridge?

Try this version -removed-

(it works for me. We are on same version of Luma. I access Homebrew via Rosalina)

First try booting it without a NDS cartridge. If you get the (bla bla bla error message .cpp) that's fine. At least that's a sign that TWLsavetool is functional.
then try booting it with your NDS game. If it hangs then it's probably your cart.

Also try this on your cart.

In any event, if it doesn't work, leave an issue on Checkpoint relating to how it didn't dump the correct save.
And lemme know whether it worked, and if it didn't which stage it failed at.

Where do i put the JEDECheck.3dsx file? Im assuming its inside the TWL Save tool folder, but im not sure.

Also, twl save tool did give me the .cpp error so it might actually be my cart thats the problem. Damn ebay

Okay, i added the JEDECheck.3dsx file to my 3ds>TWLSaveTool folder, but nothing changed; still black screen with one line of text. Ill try checkpoint, maybe that'll work.

10 minutes ago, 0ranges_justice said:

Where do i put the JEDECheck.3dsx file? Im assuming its inside the TWL Save tool folder, but im not sure.

It's a homebrew, put it at where you put homebrews -.-

11 minutes ago, 0ranges_justice said:

Also, twl save tool did give me the .cpp error so it might actually be my cart thats the problem. Damn ebay

how much did you pay for it lol.

I payed 20 dollars. What a waste, i really like this game too. lol

Anyways, here's what i got...

i might be onto something, ill let you know in a bit--------------(check the video) I removed the cart when it displayed that black screen in twl save tool, and all the options appeared. However, of i put the cart back in, it won't be able to backup my data. As long as the cart stays out, it allows me to. Weird.

15577990574773575880288841283342.jpg

If it's a real cart, that's a cheap deal I suppose. Hmm it's already documented huh.
Also why you showing me screenshot of HBL app? (anyway I access it via Rosalina. Set an app to HBL, then access that app. not sure if there's any difference)

Just double checking, if you play your HeartGold right now, does it load the game (can you continue?)
[I'm curious, in case the save has been replaced by FireEmblem lol]

alright, im gonna do that. Hopefully everything works out. Anyways, THANKS FOR THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF TIME THAT YOU'VE DEDICATED TO MY CAUSE. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP. If I do manage to get the save to work, Ill come back and make a post on it, probably not anytime soon, however. I have exams lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

Did you try Checkpoint to see if that works?

TwlSaveTool does however work with the Luma 9.1 CFW (latest at the time of writing)

Have you done anything out the ordinary with the 3DS, such as region change it?

Thank you for trying to help the OP. The OP started this whole shebang with a post about how Pokegen won't read their save.
Turns out, the save dumped didn't contain any saves, and was dumped with Checkpoint.

I then advised using TWLsavetool to try it out. (I've never used checkpoint to dump NDS saves, as TWLsavetool works just fine for me)

And when that failed, this thread appeared.

Ultimately, the OP's cart is probably a counterfeit, hence why TWLsavetool and Checkpoint doesn't dump a save.

TWLSaveTool Is only suppose to be used for backing up Nintendo DS game Saves, you do realize that, right? not to be rude or anything. if you want to make a save data backup of Pokemon Dream Radar, you are gonna have to use JKSM or Checkpoint.

TWLSaveTool (for NDS Games Only!): https://github.com/TuxSH/TWLSaveTool/releases

JKSM: https://github.com/J-D-K/JKSM/releases

Checkpoint: https://github.com/FlagBrew/Checkpoint/releases

15 minutes ago, VeteranJaime said:

TWLSaveTool Is only suppose to be used for backing up Nintendo DS game Saves, you do realize that, right?

First, thank you for trying to help. Now, his goal was to back up his copy of HeartGold.
He mentioned Dream Radar because that is the requirement for using Homebrew version of TWLsavetool.

I have the the chain of events in my previous post.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get Checkpoint to work when
a) it doesn't dump the save and
b) the cart is recognized by checkpoint

PM the OP. I'm locking this thread, since all the user can do is raise the issue with Checkpoint devs. :3
(and once again, I'm bringing up Checkpoint because this whole issue started from checkpoint. Read my prev post for details)

• Like 1