LGPE - Pokémon Pass Shiny Pikachu/Eevee Gift

theSLAYER

Edit: Redemption steps are below (this post)
Now back to your regular scheduled content:

Advertisements in Target (US) are introducing a new up app called Pokémon Pass.

Starting on May 11th (presumably US time), players can scan the relevant QR codes into the app, to receive a serial code for Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee, or to see promotional material regarding the Detective Pikachu movie.

Images in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

D5bBCNkUYAAlaP0.jpgD5bBDFoUEAAJ_uE.jpgD5bODFfU0AA-lsF.jpg

This shiny event mirrors the one that is ongoing in Korea.

Sources:

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1123307266126561280

• theSLAYER changed the title to LGPE - US' Target Shiny Pikachu/Eevee Gift
1 hour ago, Hello, it's me! said:

we can just scan the qr code to obtain the serial code , so there's no reason to actually visit target lol

Unless of course the app is unusable outside of target

As long as it doesn't need like a photo of a receipt, or a second QR code given during purchase, then we won't have to rely on Target.

At this point, I'm just inclined to believe they were just using their advertising space..

Interesting method of distribution there. More accessible than serial codes, since hypothetically someone can just get a good picture or scan of the QR code and distribute it online... but requiring a whole special app for that? It's just strange. I certainly hope it's not just a one-time thing and will be used in the future for event Pokemon.

Still, nice to see the event made available here, I was considering hunting down serial codes for the Korean distribution. 😛

• Like 1

Update:
1. App is online, but US only (presently),
2. App itself asked for authorization to use geolocation services (so possible can't use functionality overseas)
3. App needs to be linked to Pokémon Trainer Club (so can't be used for farming Logging out is possible, but how many PTC accounts does a person really have?)

Edit:
Apparently, the app stops giving out serial codes past June 23, 2019.

12 hours ago, Marinebeast said:

Interesting method of distribution there. More accessible than serial codes, since hypothetically someone can just get a good picture or scan of the QR code and distribute it online... but requiring a whole special app for that? It's just strange. I certainly hope it's not just a one-time thing and will be used in the future for event Pokemon.

Still, nice to see the event made available here, I was considering hunting down serial codes for the Korean distribution. 😛

Just another way to advertise really. I opened the app and it had all sorts of Detective Pikachu adverts. Glad I won't have to go to the store and have to ask someone for a code anymore.

13 minutes ago, MushroomGod said:

Just another way to advertise really. I opened the app and it had all sorts of Detective Pikachu adverts. Glad I won't have to go to the store and have to ask someone for a code anymore.

The app asks for permissions to location services. It's still not confirmed whether it actually requires you to be physically in a Target store for the redemption functionality to be unlocked.

I certainly hope not (I'm not in US), but it's a possibility.

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

The app asks for permissions to location services. It's still not confirmed whether it actually requires you to be physically in a Target store for the redemption functionality to be unlocked.

I certainly hope not (I'm not in US), but it's a possibility.

I know, I mean I won't have to make a sales person go get me a code.

1 minute ago, MushroomGod said:

I know, I mean I won't have to make a sales person go get me a code.

Ah that's always rather awkward, is it not.

This kind of promotion drives sales, since people show up in the stores, and might impulse buy something.

Which is why it's plausible they still require people to go to stores.. Events are just a tool for driving sales after all (sadly)

But yeah, at least maybe someone will share a QR code online, or you could just walk up to a poster,
without actually speaking with anyone ><

12 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Ah that's always rather awkward, is it not.

This kind of promotion drives sales, since people show up in the stores, and might impulse buy something.

Which is why it's plausible they still require people to go to stores.. Events are just a tool for driving sales after all (sadly)

But yeah, at least maybe someone will share a QR code online, or you could just walk up to a poster,
without actually speaking with anyone ><

If you do have to go to the store I wonder if you'll be able to use a GPS spoofer. Some apps you can use one without rooting.

1 minute ago, MushroomGod said:

If you do have to go to the store I wonder if you'll be able to use a GPS spoofer. Some apps you can use one without rooting.

I've read that on more recent updates, Google removed a vulnerability in their firmware, in order to prevent such a thing (without rooting),
and that some apps now require the newer firmwares to run. Maybe Pokémon Pass has such a minimum firmware requirement?
To be honest, I'm not completely caught up on Android.

iOS on the other hand, I know slightly more.
Without jailbreak, all the Pokémon Go spoofers are using a modified Pokémon Go client to spoof (or something called iSpoofer, which seems to only be for PGo),
meaning they'll have to wait for a modified Pokémon Pass client to sideload onto their device. (I know for jailbroken devices, there is an app that can change your location for all apps).

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I've read that on more recent updates, Google removed a vulnerability in their firmware, in order to prevent such a thing (without rooting),
and that some apps now require the newer firmwares to run. Maybe Pokémon Pass has such a minimum firmware requirement?
To be honest, I'm not completely caught up on Android.

iOS on the other hand, I know slightly more.
Without jailbreak, all the Pokémon Go spoofers are using a modified Pokémon Go client to spoof (or something called iSpoofer, which seems to only be for PGo),
meaning they'll have to wait for a modified Pokémon Pass client to sideload onto their device. (I know for jailbroken devices, there is an app that can change your location for all apps).

I had no idea you could spoof Go without Jailbreak. That must be the reason we have so many spoofers in our area. I use Android and it's been a long time since I looked into it. As far I know you can't spoof with Android without rooting. I used to bot Go a long time ago but had an account banned. Now with my current account its just not worth the risk. So much more fun to just go out and play with friends anyway. Eventually you get those regionals via a trade or somehow anyway.

@MushroomGod well people are crafty and always find ways around restrictions.
I don't exactly mind spoofers, as long as they're air support in raids. (It's not like their presence causes shinies to runs, or makes the game harder, besides gym retention. But I can't be bothered with gym, hence..)

Back on topic, in any case, I guess we'll only know whether it's location locked on May 11. Workarounds probably will come after, if need be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making a new post, regarding how to get the serial code.
Indeed, the event IS location locked. Here's what I did to get it to work on my PC (probably easier if you have a suitable android phone)
Mod reminder: In this instance, we will not give links to any of the apk or programs mentioned below, so don't ask.

1. Open up Bluestacks 4 (install it if you don't have it)
2. Install Developer Options apk
3. Install Pokémon Pass 1.0.2 apk
4. Open Developer Options, Access Developer Options, set Select Mock Location app to Location Provider
image.png
5. Open Pokémon Pass, choose location, and Location Provider will pop-up.
image.png
6. For me, I set GPS Location to 60 W E Dekalb Pike, King of Prussia (big Target store).
You may need to take a few steps after setting location, for the GPS to recognize that you're there.
[While I didn't show it in the image below, pasting the address ^ to Search will help.
]
image.png
7. Go back to Pokémon Pass, sign into your PTC account, it'll redirect you to accept Pokémon Pass T&C, accept it.
8. Now restart the Pokémon Pass app.
9. Now press the Start on the You have arrived window that corresponds to the shiny giveaway.
10. When it asks you to scan the QR code, just click on the (?) button on screen, then proceed to Skip this Step
[only works if the store didn't get a QR code]

If you're unable to skip it, scan this code:

image.png

11. At this point, all that is left is to Get Download Code. You'll be given 3 codes per PTC account logged in usage.

If you missed the code, you can go back to Completed Activities on the first page, and see it from there.

If the code is too small/not readable, you may want to go to Bluestack's settings (not the settings accessed from apps) and change Display Resolution to Custom Size: 1024 x 576

Some images:

Spoiler

capture22.PNGcapture23.PNGcapture24.PNGcapture25.PNGcapture26.PNGcapture30.PNGcapture31.PNGcapture32.PNGcapture33.PNGCapture14.PNG

edit: Useful information that I've verified, however use at your own risk! (maybe the server logs which PTC account did multiple redemptions?):

6 hours ago, Diablofan said:

None of the data is actually tied to your PTC Account. Not even the Let's Go Codes. I had to reset the app data multiple times because the app would only work once before I had to clear the app data.

If you need more than 3 codes just open up the App Info for Pokemon Pass in the Android System Settings, Clear it, Log Back in, and if your location is still Target you can keep getting Codes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I don't have an android phone that could install the app (my primary phone is a non-jailbroken iPhone), so I had to find an alternative.

thank you for your hard work!

Hey no problem. I just followed your steps on my phone. I set it to the Target closest to my house. 

To be clear to everyone. You have to open the Dev tools on your phone. You can google how to do it on your own phone. I had to go to "About Phone" in my settings then "Software Information" then tap "Build Number" 7 times.

Then in Dev tools I went to "Mock GPS Location App" and added Fake GPS which I downloaded from the Play Store. I set the app to the Target closest to me and followed theSLAYER's steps.

I love this btw. It might be the easiest way to get Events ever, I live really close to a Target so I didn't even have to do this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Making a new post, regarding how to get the serial code.
Indeed, the event IS location locked. Here's what I did to get it to work on my PC (probably easier if you have a suitable android phone)
Mod reminder: In this instance, we will not give links to any of the apk or programs mentioned below, so don't ask.

If you missed the code, you can go back to Completed Activities on the first page, and see it from there.
If the code is too small/not readable, you may want to go to Bluestack's settings (not the settings accessed from apps) and change Display Resolution to Custom Size: 1024 x 576

Some images

I'd like to point something out. After some unfortunate mishaps with my phone while trying to redeem it at Target I stumbled across a major flaw/blessing with the Pokemon Pass app.

None of the data is actually tied to your PTC Account. Not even the Let's Go Codes. I had to reset the app data multiple times because the app would only work once before I had to clear the app data.

If you need more than 3 codes just open up the App Info for Pokemon Pass in the Android System Settings, Clear it, Log Back in, and if your location is still Target you can keep getting Codes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diablofan said:

I'd like to point something out. After some unfortunate mishaps with my phone while trying to redeem it at Target I stumbled across a major flaw/blessing with the Pokemon Pass app.

sorry to hear that :(

5 hours ago, Diablofan said:

that's vital information! I had no idea such an abuse even exists!

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

maybe it's an error with Bluestacks. Try restarting Bluestacks. There was one time I clicked too fast that all 3 codes just zoomed past me (lol)

alright i've managed to get the codes with my android phone via fake GPS

I was wondering when you said the codes are given between May 11 - June 23 

^ like is that the redemption period as well ? or is the redemption period expanded to a later date maybe ?

• Like 1