the astonomy thread

arceus dude

this thread is all about astronomy.

astronomy is my favourite type of thing to learn about.

I might even become a space scientest or space enginier when i grow up.

u can post ur astonomy questions on this topic and I or someone else will answer it

Edited by arceus dude

Funny thing is... no body has ever truly witnessed a star being born or die. The cosmos are indeed a mystery...

Random fact: Saturn has a density ~ 0.8, therefore, if there was a large body of water enough to contain it, Saturn would be floating on it!

So you want to be a space scientist (astronomer?) when you grow up... that is rather amazing. Tell me more about your discoveries when you do ;)

actually,I know how stars are born and how they die.

1.A colection of gas,dust form together and make a nebula.

2.the center of the nebula starts getting hotter and more dense

3.soon,the the center reaches a temprature of 1,000,000 farenhiet.

4.the nebula forms a star.

5.the star becomes old and it gets cooler as the gas and dust break away and form new nebula.

6.the star becomes a white dwarf.

7.the star turns darker and darker and soon disapear

our sun is an average size star.all the other white little stars we see in the night sky are actually bigger smaller or are the same size as our sun.We see them very small because they are very far from us.

also,in 4 billion years,our sun will become a red giant and explode

a star larger than the sun explodes in a huge light explosion called a supernova,after a supernova,a black hole appears or a very heavy (100 tons a spoonful)but small star appears.A black hole can suck up earth and make it smaller and smaller until eart is a size of a marble!!!!!

isn`t our universe an amazing thing?

btw my favourite planet is jupiter.

actually,I know how stars are born and how they die.

1.A colection of gas,dust form together and make a nebula.

2.the center of the nebula starts getting hotter and more dense

3.soon,the the center reaches a temprature of 1,000,000 farenhiet.

4.the nebula forms a star.

5.the star becomes old and it gets cooler as the gas and dust break away and form new nebula.

6.the star becomes a white dwarf.

7.the star turns darker and darker and soon disapear

our sun is an average size star.all the other white little stars we see in the night sky are actually bigger smaller or are the same size as our sun.We see them very small because they are very far from us.

also,in 4 billion years,our sun will become a red giant and explode

a star larger than the sun explodes in a huge light explosion called a supernova,after a supernova,a black hole appears or a very heavy (100 tons a spoonful)but small star appears.A black hole can suck up earth and make it smaller and smaller until eart is a size of a marble!!!!!

isn`t our universe an amazing thing?

btw my favourite planet is jupiter.

That is what I learned about stars as well (I learn about it this year along with the Higgs Boson and other stuff in physics and have visited the BNL but I don't even think that is relevant :P) and the life cycle of the stars and all, but has anyone actually observed it? The last time anyone says to have claimed to have seen a nebula was around 1650s... but can we say that is credible? Mhh... that is just my intake in that.

Jupiter is rather cool because it is rather large (I just do not like the mythological character associated with it though)... I suppose my favorite though is Neptune because it is all so blue!

This is a pretty cool idea! Haven't really seen a thread like it.

I've heard of people witnessing the deaths of stars, but not the births... It might have something to do with the light emitted by the births of stars (it being much smaller than the lives and deaths of stars, and therefore harder to see without using an extremely high-quality telescope focused on an extremely specific location).

Heh, I'm going with Earth. I'm happy discovering more about where we come from before we go elsewhere.

Is the Higgs Boson the chart of the size and brightness of stars? This is going back a few years for me...

This is a pretty cool idea! Haven't really seen a thread like it.

I've heard of people witnessing the deaths of stars, but not the births... It might have something to do with the light emitted by the births of stars (it being much smaller than the lives and deaths of stars, and therefore harder to see without using an extremely high-quality telescope focused on an extremely specific location).

Heh, I'm going with Earth. I'm happy discovering more about where we come from before we go elsewhere.

Is the Higgs Boson the chart of the size and brightness of stars? This is going back a few years for me...

No, Higgs Boson is actually a Boson in theory that is supposed to give mass to everything. It is dubbed the "God Particle" but it has not really been found yet. But I think this is slightly off topic :o

And yeah, I believe Earth is the only inhabitable place in the universe. I have no idea what those silly NASA people were thinking when they decided to wage war on the moon.

Well,there may be life on mars too.

I just had a science project.I chose jupiter and my friend chose mars.

He said that one of marses moons phoebos is doomed to crash in mars in about 5,000,000 years.

Also, in about 4 billion years,our nextdoor galaxy the andromeda galaxy might collide with our galaxy.

Life on Mars? Highly doubtful about that. The soil there seems to be infested with toxic chemicals, which discourages that theory. There is also no atmosphere, no water on the surface... I wonder why people think it is habitable...

And I've heard about that Andromedra Galaxy collision thing... but I wonder how they figure all this out...

Past-Life on Mars may have been possible. Yeah, there is toxic chemicals, hardly an atmosphere, etc., but recently discovered were these sea creatures living near the marina trench that only lived off of the gasses from volcano vents spewing out sulfur and other chemicals. They were creatures like crustaceans, tube worms, and a few species of fish. Scientist and researchers also thought it was impossible for living things to exist under ice sheets in extremely cold regions on Earth, but they were discovered eventually. There is many weird things on Earth. There is also a forest where all the animals, appear miniature.

Past-Life on Mars may have been possible. Yeah, there is toxic chemicals, hardly an atmosphere, etc., but recently discovered were these sea creatures living near the marina trench that only lived off of the gasses from volcano vents spewing out sulfur and other chemicals. They were creatures like crustaceans, tube worms, and a few species of fish. Scientist and researchers also thought it was impossible for living things to exist under ice sheets in extremely cold regions on Earth, but they were discovered eventually. There is many weird things on Earth. There is also a forest where all the animals, appear miniature.

Show me the source to that... I would be glad to learn.

Show me the source to that... I would be glad to learn.

Watch the Discovery Science Channel and you'll see it. If you are really as excited to learn about it as you implied, then Google. :\

I just Googled right now and here are some links to save you half the time:

Deep Sea Volcano Marine Life

Physical conditions at vents

tremendous pressure - 300 atmospheres

extreme temperatures - highest measured vent temperature is 4030C, highest temperature at which living tube worms have been observed is 1000C, sea water is about 20C at depths where vents form, but can be up to 200C near some vents.

chemicals - hydrogen sulfide, the source of energy that fuels vent food webs and the most plentiful compound in vent emissions, is toxic to most living things.

pH - vent fluid is very acidic with a pH as low as 2.8, which is very unhealthy for most living things.

Don't tell me that isn't extreme. lol

The one about creatures living below the ice may be harder to find since it was probably a long time ago.

Another creature: The "Waterbear". Link and another link.

In the 1920's P. G. Rahm of the University of Freidburg discovered tardigrades were able to withstand being heated for a few minutes in 151 degrees Celsius and survive being chilled for days in temperatures up to minus 200 degrees Celsius. While in this state the organisms are also greatly resistant to ionizing radiation as shown by Raul M. May from the University of Paris who found that 570,00 roentgens were required to kill 50% of exposed tardigrades (only 500 roentgens would be fatal to a human). Water bears are also resistant to vacuums. Specimens exposed to high vacuum and electron bombardment in a SEM for 0.5 hours were then revived and survived for a few minutes before dying.

Google "Tardigrades" for more info.

Merry XMas.

Edited by Greencat
Edit

It is a 60% chance that mars used to have life (not human life)

however,it is 100% true that mars used to have as much water as earth had.

btw,venus is actually hotter than mercury.

venus has an atmosphere that prevents heat from escaping the planet.

and,neptune is colder than pluto because plutos core is made up of rock,while neptunes is made up of ice.

also because when pluto is the nearest it can be to the sun in its orbit,pluto is closer to the sun than neptune is.

Another fact,when jupiters core becomes very dense,it`s tempature reaches a maximum of 55,000 celsius.hotter than the suns surface!

Another thing about jupiter is that u cant land on it so u have to reach the core and if u land on the core and jump,the intese gravity will crush u to a pulp:p

@ Greencat: Yeah, like those worms in abyss... which is pretty awesome. There are strange organisms on the Earth, which is just amazing. But I do not think Mars would sustain life or anything...

@ arceus dude: Nice facts and all (rather cool), but...

It is a 60% chance that mars used to have life (not human life)

however,it is 100% true that mars used to have as much water as earth had.

Where are you getting these calculations? And how do you know about the water? It is not like we have seen Mars with water or anything... and besides, those ice caps are actually solidified carbon dioxide, which does not give any hints about water being there before...

Mars used to have water a long time ago.when the dinosaurs were on earth

Also,NASA has anounced on 2003 that mars used to be like earth (waterwise)

the carbon dioxide wasn`t on mars forever.

and if it was,the water would still be there exept frozen.

And we know that how? Because we were all there to observe that, right? I really wonder where they get these results though. Not to put you in a corner or anything, but I would like to know how they know all that...