PKHex for Dummies

Space Ghost

PKHex for Dummies

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but could anybody help me figure out how to transfer a pokemon from PKHeX into US/UM (cart)? I'm technologically illiterate when it comes to this stuff. I've been trying my hand at this for like two hours now with no success. When I open up PKHex I select File>Open>FireRed save. Everything boots up just fine, and I'm able to edit and save the pokemon I want from my box into a pk3 file. After thats done I close out PKHex, reopen it and try to load in the pokemon I just saved by going to File>Open>pokemon file and I get the following error "Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size. This could mean PKHex doesn't support your save file or your save file is corrupt. File Size 80 bytes (0x0050)" When I try and drag the pokemon over to the new window I get the error "Cannot convert a PK3 to PB7" and then "Unable to set this slot". What exactly am I doing wrong here? Do I need to load up a Gen 7 save first before trying to move over/load up the pokemon, or is it something else? Every guide I've seen so far saves the file, then re opens it in a new gen 7 PKHex window without loading up any save and it works just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated

6 hours ago, Space Ghost said:

could anybody help me figure out how to transfer a pokemon from PKHeX into US/UM (cart)

Discussion of ROMs (specifically piracy) are not allowed on our forums, be mindful next time.

I'm technologically illiterate when it comes to this stuff.

Do you have CFW/Homebrew on your 3DS? You didn't specify this, and it doesn't sound like you're editing a Gen 7 (3DS) save of yours, hence I'm not convinced.
Without CFW/Homebrew, you won't be able to inject stuff into your cart... :/

[If you don't, I suggest you follow this guide, at your own risk]

Assuming you have options to re-inject your save:

Spoiler

I'm quoting these specific portions so you know what I'm replying to

"Cannot convert a PK3 to PB7" and then "Unable to set this slot". What exactly am I doing wrong here?

"Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size. This could mean PKHex doesn't support your save file or your save file is corrupt. File Size 80 bytes (0x0050)"

As of now, you cannot transfer Pokémon from other generations games into a Let's Go save legitimately,  so PKHeX was programmed with that in mind.
Attempting to do illegal transfers (or loading files from different generations, which effectively emulate those transfers) will result in those errors.

Presently, PKHeX's default loading of a blank save is for Let's Go, but you can change it via Options > Settings:
image.png

As you want to perform editing for a Gen 7 3DS game, choosing Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon will likely be the best.

For future reference, the error "Cannot convert a PK3 to PB7" made it obvious. The X in PKX (eg: PK1 to PK7) refers to Generations.
Meaning the Pokémon file belonged to X generation. Also, PB7 specifically refers to the Let's Go games, so "PB7" in that error made it a dead giveaway.

Also for future reference look at the name of the window PKHeX bla bla (Let's Go bla bla). This way, you'll know what default save is loaded.

Do I need to load up a Gen 7 save first before trying to move over/load up the pokemon

Did you not try this? If you tried this, it would have worked. :3

Before PKHeX implemented default blank save, users had to import the save from the specific generation, to modify files originating from that particular generation.
(we even have a page full of saves here and here)

Every guide I've seen so far saves the file, then re opens it in a new gen 7 PKHex window without loading up any save and it works just fine

Either:
1. Outdated guides (made before Let's Go release) or
2. They already have the default blank save loaded to the respective game they were thinking of.

edit: @Kaphotics sorry to bug you, but maybe in such scenarios, is it possible to check the file name, then throw a prompt saying "Cannot load PK(X) file in a Let's Go save, kindly load a Gen (X) save first.", maybe people will be less confused by this : x

As usual, thank you for your hard work!

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Discussion of ROMs (specifically piracy) are not allowed on our forums, be mindful next time.

Whoops sorry about that

Do you have CFW/Homebrew on your 3DS? You didn't specify this, and it doesn't sound like you're editing a Gen 7 (3DS) save of yours, hence I'm not convinced.
Without CFW/Homebrew, you won't be able to inject stuff into your cart... :/

Believe it or not I do 😂 I managed to fumble my way through a guide and got some CFW on my 3DS 

As of now, you cannot transfer Pokémon from other generations games into a Let's Go save legitimately,  so PKHeX was programmed with that in mind.
Attempting to do illegal transfers (or loading files from different generations, which effectively emulate those transfers) will result in those errors.

Presently, PKHeX's default loading of a blank save is for Let's Go, but you can change it via Options > Settings

Ahhhhhhhh I feel like such a dummy lol, this was exactly the problem I was running into. Loaded up UM and now I'm good to go.  I didn't try loading up my UM save yet because I watched a video which said that I could transfer over my pokemon from PKHex via PKSM and ServePkx so I was going to give that a try first 😖