Pkhex won't read save file

Rogers03

So I recently downloaded pkhex and have homebrew on my 3DS, but it won't open my save file. The program pops up with an error message "Unsupported file type/size". The file size is correct from what I've seen on the web and it's a .bin file. Can someone look at my save file to see what's wrong.

OR Save.bin

7 minutes ago, Rogers03 said:

So I recently downloaded pkhex and have homebrew on my 3DS, but it won't open my save file. The program pops up with an error message "Unsupported file type/size". The file size is correct from what I've seen on the web and it's a .bin file. Can someone look at my save file to see what's wrong.

OR Save.bin 472 kB · 1 download

How did you obtain your save file? It doesn't look like you dumped it with a save manager in homebrew/CFW. :/

1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

It wasn't decrypted right, hence why PKHeX can't read it.
I opened the file up in HxD, and it's all garbled nonsense.

In this case, it's not PKHeX's fault. Try to decrypt it properly. :3

I honestly have no idea how to decrypt it properly, I followed directions from some website. Is there a forum or other website that gives directions on how to decrypt it?

2 minutes ago, Rogers03 said:

I honestly have no idea how to decrypt it properly, I followed directions from some website. Is there a forum or other website that gives directions on how to decrypt it?

It likely originated from our forums, in one way or another.

Try reading this thread first: https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/33770-pokemon-gen-vi-save-decrypter/?do=findComment&comment=178318

Supposedly people recommend this guide too:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-dump-retail-pokemon-xy-oras-saves-to-gateway-with-powersaves.378513/

In any case, it's all fine if your intention is only to view the save, but if you want to inject the save back to your cart with modifications from PKHeX, know that Powersaves won't allow that.
If your intentions are the latter, it'll be better for you to install CFW onto your 3DS.

Ok so I followed the directions from both sources and the file still can't read. I've tried this 4 times and it just won't work. Can someone tell me if this file is actually decrypted and just isn't working, or if it's not decrypted right.

Decrypted Save (2019-03-31 154000).bin

/==post merged, don't double post--/

Nevermind, I was using an old save file to decrypt it. I just tried doing the same thing with the new cartridge and it worked. Is there anyway I can decrypt a file I no longer have the cartridge to?

Edited by Rogers03

7 hours ago, Rogers03 said:

Ok so I followed the directions from both sources and the file still can't read. I've tried this 4 times and it just won't work. Can someone tell me if this file is actually decrypted and just isn't working, or if it's not decrypted right.

Decrypted Save (2019-03-31 154000).bin 472 kB · 0 downloads

/==post merged, don't double post--/

Nevermind, I was using an old save file to decrypt it. I just tried doing the same thing with the new cartridge and it worked. Is there anyway I can decrypt a file I no longer have the cartridge to?

Hmm, back up the newest file onto your powersaves.

If powersaves can inject back the old save into your cartridge, simply redo the entire decryption process?

If powersaves can't, then there's pretty much no way.
(I mean, there's a complicated way that uses Gateway3DS: paste the old sav into the cart SD card [without save managers], while the cart contains the game with the same private header, THEN using a save manager to dump the save, but I doubt you have Gateway3DS, and not worth the purchase at this point.

It's not feasible for most people in most scenarios presently. I used this a long time ago to dump old saves, before 3DS CFW gained any footing..)

• 1 month later...

Having a similar issue here – getting the 'unsupported file type/size' error when trying to open the Black 2 .sav file I recently created using TWLSaveTool. PKHeX has no problems opening the Gen VI and Gen VII files I've created using JKSM, but for some reason it doesn't want to open my Black 2 .sav file. Would love some help – thanks!

POKEMON B2.1.sav

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

@kochanfe a quick look on an online hex editor shows that it isn’t empty, which is a good sign for your save.

tho I gotta ask: have you collected a starter yet?

anyhow, I’ll be able to take a better look later when I get home

Hey! Thanks for replying so quickly. Yeah, I'm about ~30 mins in, just about ready to take on the first gym.

14 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

It opens fine in the latest release of the program.

Hmmm... that's odd. I'm running PKHeX in Wine on my mac, and it is very likely an old(er) version of the program, as I haven't used it in a very long time. Whenever I try opening the B2 .sav I want to edit, I get the error message that reads 'Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size'. It has no issue opening my Gen VI files, however.