How to fix 256kb saves (FLASH 2M)

coreycubed

I'm using Rudolph's Wifi tool version v0.31e I believe it was. I'm also using cycloDS Evolution with the latest firmware v1.54. I've also tried using savesender v1.1 which also sends a 256kb save file. I'm not sure how to get that one to send a 512kb file. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure why Rudolph's tool wouldn't work, but I can tell you from experience that you will not get the full 512kb from SavSender.

I posted a tutorial that I found for this on the old Pokésav.org forums, lemme see if I can find it. I'll also look at my flash cart and the program's config and see if anything sticks out.

EDIT: Bingo, here's the tutorial. I followed these exact steps to get everything setup, and even though the tutorial is meant for backing up the rom, it works just as well with the save backup option in Rudolph's tool (obviously).

Personally, I found Rudolph's tool to be fast, reliable, and completely able to backup / restore saves without a problem... unlike other methods I tried, including SavSender.

Well, after trying every utility out there, I decided to try a hardware solution. I purchased a USB device called the "NDS Backup Adapter" from ConsoleSource.com which can read and write SAVs directly to a DS retail cart. It successfully recognized the Platinum SAV as 512kb. I looked at it in a hex editor and it indeed does have both the primary and backup SAV in it.

The only thing I haven't checked out is VS Recorder battles. When I get a chance to record some, I'll let everyone know.

FYI: The software for this device only works in Windows. I have it working in Windows XP (in Parallels) on a Mac and also on a Windows XP laptop. I've read reports of people having trouble getting the drivers to work properly. I can attest to the fact that they are very picky. But the end result is worth it. I've been able to backup/restore carts that wouldn't work with other utilities.

• 2 months later...
If someone plays on a flash cart (for convenience) and then wants to restore it to a retail cart, VS Battle recordings and all, I doubt everything would all make it to the retail cart if the flash cart's SAV is over 256K.

actually it might work... when I first had gotten platinum I already had a sav file from the playing the rom now through various methods I managed to get the save file onto the retail game no problems it was 512kb at the time...

however it seems that over time the ds returns to the ripping 256kb saves ....