Nintendo Announces DSi LL

Arandomproduction1

DSi-LL-2.jpg

Following a Nikkei leak earlier in the week, Nintendo formally announced its upcoming DSi hardware revision today. The system will carry the name Nintendo DSi LL. It will see release on November 21 in three colors, Dark Brown, Wine Red, and Natural White. Pricing is set at ¥20,000, a bit up from the current DSi's ¥18,900 asking price.

DSi LL will feature two 4.2 inch screens, offering 93% additional area over the current DSi's 3.25 inch screen size. Nintendo will be including two different touch pens with LL. One can be stored in the system similar to the current touch pen, although it's about four millimeters longer than the current pen. The other touch pen is fatter and about 30 mm longer.

The spec page lists the LL's dimensions as 161x91.4x21.2mm, up from DSi's 137x74.9x18.9mm. The LL also weighs more, at 314g compared to 214g. Not surprisingly, there are some changes to the system's battery life. LL owners can look forward to more play time. Under mid-level brightness, LL will last 9 to 11 hours, up from DSi's 6 to 9 hour range. At the highest brightness setting, players can look forward to 4 to 5 hours of play time, up from the current 3 to 4 hours. Charge time takes a bit longer on the LL: three hours, or about 30 minutes more than DSi's two hours and thirty minutes.

IMO I want my DSi to be more portable instead of a mini laptop. Also I think this DSi is aimed more towards old people because of the colors, screen size, and pen. Another thing that would annoy me would be if this DSi had a better processor, ram, camera, and memory, but I doubt it will since Nintendo isn't that evil.

Whats your thoughts on this new DSi?

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiLL/index.html#

dsillpic.jpg

Nooooo! Why, Nintendo, why!? I only got a DSi a bit over 6 months ago, and you release another? A year (in two days) may have gone by since the original DSi release, but it only feels like a few months... My (speculated) OCD will force me to buy this if it's ever released in North America. If this was a small change, like the DS lite's slightly changed casing for it's dual-colours, I wouldn't have thought of buying it. But this is too different from the previous model for me not to buy it. I'm not sure if that's Dark Brown or Wine Red up there, but I'm guessing on the chance that Nintendo releases an NA version, they're probably going to include Black, which I will buy.

@ - Arandomproduction1 - You're probably right about this being marketed to old people. By the way, do you know what the LL stands for? I keep thinking Larger Length(ening), or something to that effect.

Nintendo DSi LL in Japan and Nintendo DSi XL in Europe and North America so basically "LL" means "XL" in English. Also this will be released for Japan on November 21, 2009. So I'd expect it in late 2010 for the US, but it could be earlier/ later. I'm guessing its not really any different then the normal DSi other then it either has more energy to store, or it uses less. The DSi has about 5 (I'm guessing) and the DS XL has about 8, but really who's gonna play there DSi for 8 hours a day? Another thing I just noticed are the speakers, there are more of them lol. So now it goes in the DS models:

DS Phat (Normal DS.)

DS Small (The DSlite since the DSi is slightly bigger)

DS Medium (The DSi since it's really the medium sized DS now.

DS XL (The new DSi with the huge screens.)

Nintendo is really shoveling out the new systems now... Seems pretty clear that this is not billed as a significant shift from the DSi, just a more adult-friendly version of the same. As a matter of fact I would really question the sanity of anyone who upgrades from a DSi to this.

One thing that would majorly bug me is the fact that they seem to just make bigger pixels so that they can scale up the display without changing the actual resolution. In this case the pixels have got to be annoyingly huge... The size is being scaled up so drastically here that I almost wonder if the actually will change the resolution.

Also, think if you played the lameboy (Homebrew lets you play GBC/GB games) and compare how small the GBC/GB screen is compared to this new DSi model. (Assuming flash card. makers are gonna make a new flash card.) I've also figured out another thing that might bug me: If Nintendo stop releasing updates for the normal DSi. I highly doubt it, but it could be possible that the DSi XL's, SW, and HW is different then the normal DSi's. As for the resolution, I think making the pixels bigger would be a bad idea too since it just looks, awful. The normal DSi is perfect for on the go, but this makes it way hard. How big are the DSi XL's cases gonna be, the width of a Macbook and the length of 2 DSi's put together? On Nintendo's part they probably just wasted the time by putting the normal DSi's guts into the DSi XL's.

I think they just want more money because the wii sales are down with the price drops of the ps3 and xbox 360. I don't know anyone who would want this personally and I even struggled with upgrading to the dsi myself, and I did because of it's smaller size.

I think they just want more money because the wii sales are down with the price drops of the ps3 and xbox 360. I don't know anyone who would want this personally and I even struggled with upgrading to the dsi myself, and I did because of it's smaller size.

Actually, you're exactly right! It was either Thursday or Friday morning when I found an article in the News Channel that said that because Nintendo's profit dropped by half in the last fiscal year, that they thought it necessary to make a new system, "PROBABLY A NEW HANDHELD"... I'd be a bit worried if you guys bought a DSi; the article hinted at it being a step up from the DSi... as in more/better features...

Nintendo might be planning on making it harder for kids to play their NDSs under their desks during school or academic places.

Other than that, the thing is HUGE, and I mean HUGE. It'd take up so much space just flipping it open. Oh, and the color turned me off when I first saw it.

Also, Nintendo is targeting the older audience? Are there even games for the older/elder?

I hope Nintendo improves the DS by enhancing its capabilities. That includes absorbing the PSP without leaving a trace. Lulz.

Nintendo might be planning on making it harder for kids to play their NDSs under their desks during school or academic places.

Other than that, the thing is HUGE, and I mean HUGE. It'd take up so much space just flipping it open. Oh, and the color turned me off when I first saw it.

Also, Nintendo is targeting the older audience? Are there even games for the older/elder?

I hope Nintendo improves the DS by enhancing its capabilities. That includes absorbing the PSP without leaving a trace. Lulz.

Perhaps something like this maybe?

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/uzhpt-fkOJeeECA8P-trJeJUJNqsQnxv

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/FNAz8da3x6OqmtEseRQF0dXYVrxooDUo

Or these: http://www.nintendo.com/games/detai/SA7v8W1jEbyFpzu7ezxsKYTETI-XueFY

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/65FhtZKWz7w07aLRw79PEzYytbqclfAU

I now realize that there are a lot more games for older gamers.

• 2 weeks later...

it's fun that nintendo keeps releasing stuff like that and it's fun to those that allways have enough money, however i bought a recently released new DSi and i'm happy with it, i'm not going to buy an even larger more expensive one because it's the newest.

i'm not made of money.