File transfer problem.

Kalam mekhar

Hi I just started using pkhex I am able to load my save and make legit Pokemon. If I try to save to main file on sd card it says one of to thing depending on where the adaptor tab is, 1 files is write protected, 2 can't save this file here please choose another location. So I tried and save on my PC. File save Pokemon are there when I reopen it, but if I transfer it to sd card it transfers but reverts to original save even if it's a different name as though nothing was done to the save. Thank you for your time.

@Kalam mekhar

What program/app/homebrew app are you using to export/import the save onto your SD card?

Also, try these steps.
1. Use the app to backup the save from your game.
2. Access the SD card on your com
3. Make a copy of folder in the directory on the SD card
(for example if your save folder is called ***, you should end up with a *** - copy)
example:
image.png
4. Now copy the main from the - copy folder onto your Desktop
5. Use PKHeX to edit the main on your Desktop. After you make the changes (save the items, set the pokemon to the PC etc) make sure you Export Save and save over the main on your Desktop
[you'll be surprised how many people don't actually do this step]
image.png
6. remember the *** - copy folder earlier? Replace the main inside, using the one you just edited on the Desktop.
7. Reinsert the SD card into your 3DS.
8. Use the same app (Checkpoint, JKSV etc) to import the save from *** - copy into your game.
[once again, some people think the 3DS is magic, and forget this step]

edit: Goals of the steps above:
a. you retain an unedited safe backup of a save
b. you imported, exported and edited the save correctly

Let us know if whether it works (and if it doesn't, what step failed, what error message you got etc etc)

I'm using a Homebrew manager not sure how to o tell you what version it is did that like a year ago. I'm also using jksv to import export, and have already tried what your suggesting. When I do that it reconverts mymkain-copy back to the original main only after I transfer it back to the SD card. If I save it on PC and then reopen it with pkhex it still shows the modified file but the moment I transfer the copy back to the SD card it reverts and loses all the modifications. After transfer I open the copy with pkhex before even inserting SD card back into 3ds and notice that it just reverts back.

wow @Kalam mekhar wall of text. Be ready for my wall of text:

Maybe your SD card is fake. It pretends to have more space than it actually has, when it doesn't.
There's probably a few youtube videos and mobile phone apps (if your phone supports SD card) that can help you determine if your SD card is fake.

If you did the edits correctly on your PC,
Pasting it into your SD folder shouldn't cause a "revert", as you call it.
For this scenario, the issue is usually:
a. fake cards
b. user error

Doesn't look like a PKHeX error or much we can do with at this point,
besides giving you alternative steps to try, or tell you to buy a new SD card.

Try this new method;
Do the same as step 1 to step 8 as I listed above, but here are some changes:
3. Create a new folder named *** - copy (instead of making a copy of the existing backup folder).
Leave it empty till step 6.
4. copy the unedited main from your original backup onto your desktop
6. Paste the edited main from your desktop into *** - copy. Once that is done, drag the main from *** - copy into PKHeX and check the details, to ensure that you copied the right file.
8. In addition to the existing step 8, make sure you're importing *** - copy into the correct game (if you have the cart inserted in, and you have cia version of the same game, the title actually appears twice)
Make sure you're selecting "Import" not "Export"

In this new method, since the *** - copy folder was empty,
and if you checked that the main you pasted in was correct,
and if you used Import correctly,
there is no reason it should "revert" if it was all done right (unless the SD card is fake).

12 minutes ago, Kalam mekhar said:

Ok tried using your method with a new SD card still same thing once transferred to sd card before putting into 3ds it loses all Pokemon I generated but before transfer if I check it it keeps all generated Pokemon. I am reopening it in the SD card on the PC.

Erm, so before transferring it shows the Genned mon right?

Reconfirm it with me after making this change; I'll like you to repeat the new steps, but with this addition:
Before checking the main, close PKHeX fully, then reopen PKHeX, then drag the main in.
Make sure you're copying the file on your Desktop (do the right click Copy) AFTER you confirmed the file changed in another PKHeX window, AND after you closed PKHeX)
Do this for before and after you pasted a copy to your SD card.

If it is confirmed to be edited on your Desktop, there is no reason why the file would "revert" by performing the act of a simple copy, for 2 different SD cards)
(honestly at this point, it sounds like user error. Simply put, the computer wouldn't and shouldn't know what file to "revert" to; it's not magic.)
Maybe your clipboard still retains the old unedited copy; you didn't properly copy the edited one.
Or maybe you think PKHeX saved the edits when it didn't. We'll find out soon after you follow the change above.

Also to confirm: You doing this on Windows or Mac?

Ok how's this not even moving to my SD card I make a new folder where I save it gen the Pokemon then close reopen and the Pokemon are there after opening file cool not a problem yet. I copy and past into a new folder in same folder reopen Pokemon are now gone that's is AFTER I check the file in it's original save location the moment the file moves anywhere it looses all gen Pokemon.

1 minute ago, Kalam mekhar said:

Ok how's this not even moving to my SD card I make a new folder where I save it gen the Pokemon then close reopen and the Pokemon are there after opening file cool not a problem yet. I copy and past into a new folder in same folder reopen Pokemon are now gone that's is AFTER I check the file in it's original save location the moment the file moves anywhere it looses all gen Pokemon.

That tells me that the SD card isn't the problem, and the problem is:
a. you're not copying the edited file OR
b. the file wasn't edited. (you didn't check it properly)

Did you close PKHeX and reopen PKHeX after they're all closed, to do the checks?

I will confirm I am copying the file I right click and copy I do close and reopen the pkhex. And then I make new sub folder and right click and paste. So I was playing with it and came across this when export and saving a new file different name it shows up in open can't drag and drop into program to open. But the file with a new name doesn't show up when I search for it is it hidden. Because I can find it when I open pkhex and click file and open.

Just now, Kalam mekhar said:

I will confirm I am copying the file I right click and copy I do close and reopen the pkhex. And then I make new sub folder and right click and paste.

To be clear, closing and reopening, then you check, and only when it is confirmed to be changed, THEN you make a copy, right?

This is getting us nowhere. You should take a video of you making the edit, checking the file, then copy pasting into another folder, then checking it again there.
It'll probably help illuminate on the issue where your computer just magically reverts the file.

3 minutes ago, Kalam mekhar said:

So I was playing with it and came across this when export and saving a new file different name it shows up in open can't drag and drop into program to open.

that is interesting, but I don't think that's relevant.
Also on my computer, I renamed my main to 1 and it drag and dropped just fine.
To confirm, what OS is your computer running on?

8 minutes ago, Kalam mekhar said:

Windows 10. When I try and drag and drop I have a circle with a line through it.

Wonder if it's a Window 10's quirk. I can't replicate the issue.

In any case, you should take a video as I mentioned previously.
Doesn't matter if you're using something like OBS or using your phone, what is important is that we can see the screen and the actions done and the edits clearly.

In the mean time, restart your computer, send me a zipped folder of your main and the wanted pkm files, and I'll edit the save on my end.
You can download the edited save, extract it, restart your com again, then copy paste file onto your SD card.