Managing Switch Saves: Using JKSV

In this tutorial you will learn how to back up your Nintendo switch saves using a homebrew program called JKSV. The latest version of JKSV can be downloaded from here.

Note: This guide is meant for CFW emuNAND extracting from/importing to CFW emuNAND, or CFW sysNAND extracting from/importing to CFW sysNAND.

It's not meant for CFW emuNAND extracting from/importing to Stock sysNAND. In this unintended case, it may work for some of the readers,
but note that the sysNAND and emuNAND may unlink at any time, causing this unintended consequence to stop working.
The only real fix that we know thus far, is creating a new emuNAND using the present sysNAND.

0. Download JKSV.nro from their Github page, from the latest release.
Then place it into the Switch folder of your SD card.

1. Launch the Homebrew Menu from your Switch and look for JKSV. Then launch JKSV by pressing "A"

Untitled-1.png

2. Pick your desired user

Untitled-2.png

3. Navigate to your desired game

Untitled-3.png

4. Press "A" to select your desired game. Then press "A" to begin backing up your save

Untitled-4.png

5. Enter a name for your new save. Then click on the "Accept" button or click "+" to complete the backup process.

Untitled-5.png

6. If the backup has completed you will see a new save with the name you chose under your desired game.

Untitled-6.png

7. Turn your Switch off, insert your SD card into your computer and Navigate to "JKSV". Then find your desired game in the list of games.

Untitled-7.png

8. Open your desired game's folder. Inside will be the folder you named in step 5. Note: this folder will contain all of the subsequent backups you make of this game.

Untitled-8.png

9. Navigate through the folder of the backup you created and you will find your save file. Note: this step may be different and the resulting save file may be different depending on the game you have chosen.

10. MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FILE BEFORE USING OR EDITING IT WITH ANY SAVE EDITORS.

Untitled-9.png

Note:
LGPE -> savedata.bin
SWSH -> main, backup and poke_trade. Use main with PKHeX.

Note: Switch Cartridges do not store saves. So whether physical or digital copy, the saves all goes into your Switch, and that is what this tool is dumping.

View full tutorial

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi, I was wondering what to do if my switch only has a "Nintedo" folder and no "switch" folder

In the "Nintendo" folder there are 4 foulders labeled "Album" "Sontents" "Save" and "saveMeta"

The answers I found online all said to make a switch folder but i cant figure out how. If you could somehow specify that would be great! Thanks!

3 hours ago, jlstrauss said:

Hi, I was wondering what to do if my switch only has a "Nintedo" folder and no "switch" folder

In the "Nintendo" folder there are 4 foulders labeled "Album" "Sontents" "Save" and "saveMeta"

The answers I found online all said to make a switch folder but i cant figure out how. If you could somehow specify that would be great! Thanks!

Do you have CFW on your Switch?

• 2 weeks later...

Recently after last two update i been having issues with jksv. I also posted issue on github. But old saves are not restoring.  Along with that was able to get view of old saves in jksv but when i load it creates a weird back up. Even when i have back up off. 

unknown-2.png

unknown-3.png

20220406_235203.jpg

20220416_134154.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey there - super new to this kind of stuff but having some trouble with two things: 

1. There is not a "Switch" location on my SD card, just a "Nintendo" folder. Screenshots attached.

2. It keeps downloading the .nro file as a PDF...boomer moment but how can I change that, or what app do I need to download to fix this?

Thanks!

MissingFile.PNG