REQUEST: Japanese Gen II event Celebi (Non-GS Ball event version)

fabio00

We have here in Project Pokemon several event Pokemon in very different  formats, in individual data (.pk),  as WonderCards (.wc) and even as gifts (.pgf).

With that it is possible to complete the Pokedex in all generations and all languages available but there is one exception.

We don't have access to Celebi in Gen II japanese games as it isn't possible to trade from an european language game.

So, what I want to do here is appealing for people who may have one Japanese gen II event Celebi to share with everyone to preserve the last missing piece in terms of Pokedex completition in all games.

Thank you!

Edited by fabio00

It would be really nice to get a distributed Japanese Event Celebi, in some ways its the missing piece of the puzzle now have some Space World Mews from Japan.

Given that Gen 2 games have a much shorter battery lifespan due to the RTC these would have had to have already been preserved, chances of finding them on a cart in the wild today are probably 0% now.

I've been randomly on the look out for one, however nothing as of yet. I'm pretty sure some of these will have been preserved at some point though.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

Given that Gen 2 games have a much shorter battery lifespan due to the RTC these would have had to have already been preserved, chances of finding them on a cart in the wild today are probably 0% now.

This is the HUGE problem with preserving Gen II events compared to Gen I. Most carts died many years ago, while quite a good amount of Gen I were still alive until more recent years.

I think the only real chance is buying Japanese "Pocket Monsters Stadium Gold Silver" N64 carts, as it's likely the only place you'll find an original Celebi these days. Regardless, it's still playing "needle in the haystack".

However it wouldn't surprise me if someone is already hoarding one somewhere.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 3
  • Hahaha 1

7 minutes ago, Deoxyz said:

This is the HUGE problem with preserving Gen II events compared to Gen I. Most carts died many years ago, while quite a good amount of Gen I were still alive until more recent years.

I think the only real chance is buying Japanese "Pokemon Stadium GS" carts, it's likely the only place you'll find an original Celebi these days. Regardless, it's still playing "needle in the haystack".

That's a very good point about Pokemon Stadium GS, certainly a needle in the haystack as you say. However with the recently Space World 97 it gives me hope such luck could happen.

I've often thought their must be a Japanese equivalent to Project Pokemon, although it was never the most easy thing to do back in the day i'm pretty sure some people in the Japanese community would have had the foresight to back their saves up and are still active in the Pokemon community today.

• Like 3

• theSLAYER changed the title to REQUEST: Japanese Gen II event Celebi (Non-GS Ball event version)

I changed the title to make the request more accurate.

As much as I'll like it, I would imagine most GS carts already died,
and finding someone who managed to back up the event in Stadium GS AND is part of our community, is probably pretty darn rare.
Additionally, I doubt any of us mingle in Japanese circles? (or such a person continued to play Pokemon and still mingle in such a circle).

In any case, I'm leaving the thread open now, in hopes ><

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this would be noteworthy in terms of preservation since it wouldn't be the pokemon exactly, but...

I think it might be worth mentioning that if there is a celebi in a rental team for the "Pokemon Stadium GS", even if it's not in the storage system, there is that tool by Suloku that works with rental teams. If there's no way to dump the save, you can use a Gameshark to view the RAM and get crucial information. For example, this is my Suicune: 

image.png

39C5 is the suicune's DVs. Where 3897 is the location data. These were the only pieces of info I really needed to re-obtain my suicune, but I imagine you might need more for event preservation. But... it's better than nothing. With such a limited battery life, it might be the really only viable way to find one.

Edited by Brittany
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

That's a very good point about Pokemon Stadium GS, certainly a needle in the haystack as you say. However with the recently Space World 97 it gives me hope such luck could happen.

I've often thought their must be a Japanese equivalent to Project Pokemon, although it was never the most easy thing to do back in the day i'm pretty sure some people in the Japanese community would have had the foresight to back their saves up and are still active in the Pokemon community today.

Ahiru’s Wonderland. This was before PPorg even existed,so we aren’t the first who had the idea of preserving Event Pokémon. Although that website was taken down early. They had Mews, Celebis and Odd Eggs which sadly weren’t available for download... you had to trade something rare in order to get one of those.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070210151228/http://gbfan.web.infoseek.co.jp:80/pokemon_gold&silver&crystal/pokemon-251.html

Edited by ajxpk

I thought I had seen them on Ahiru in the past, but I don't think I ever figured why there weren't downloads like with the Gen III events. Thanks for the explanation.

That proves my point, they are preserved and are being hoarded away somewhere.

I don't think that really helps us though, because iirc Ahiru doesn't answer emails anymore.

1 hour ago, Deoxyz said:

I thought I had seen them on Ahiru in the past, but I don't think I ever figured why there weren't downloads like with the Gen III events. Thanks for the explanation.

That proves my point, they are preserved and are being hoarded away somewhere.

I don't think that really helps us though, because iirc Ahiru doesn't answer emails anymore.

Has anyone tried yet?

Maybe someone who knows japanese could try!

@Brittany Most private collectors like this don't care about money, but I suppose it's possible. We have rare trade-worthy material, the question is if he'd accept.

@fabio00 I think @ajxpk tried contacting him a couple years back and got no response. I have ideas that some people on this forum may have the Celebi anyway.

A problem we face either way is they'd probably not want it to go public if we made a deal.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has them, if I did I would ask them myself...

I don't know them and I'm not asking you to do that but asking never brings anything bad, I think. I know there are people out there who want events to be private but I guess we can always try!

Ahhh...  I didn't consider that possibility since they were trading them. That would make sense why the pokemon weren't for public download. They wanted to use them to bait other collector's, even if they were clones. Having it for public download would have severely limited their trades since everyone could just get it for free.

If we have any contacts in Japan, it might be worth while to have them pick up any copies of Pokemon Stadium Gold Silver if they ever find any cheap at like a thrift store. (Like a couple dollars) Rental teams I think would have significant promise. A quick google search makes it seem like you can get around the region lock using a gameshark, and that's how I was poking around in the RAM. But, that would really depend on if you think this kind of preservation would be worth it, since it wouldn't be a 1:1 thing. I used Stadium to get the important information and LUA script to SR so I could get the the 1:1 copy back, outside of level/EVs which require me to grind. This... is a bit different.

If you think it is worth while, let me know and I'll check out sites like eBay for good deals. 

What bothers me is that when these guys retire, many will likely completely stop caring about doing further trading/collecting, yet still keep these things under lock and key years later to be forgotten. Though those that are still into trading and have one of these, I don't think it would hurt to have at least ONE Japanese Celebi public in the meantime. If anyone reading this has one, I would be willing to negotiate a fair variety from my private stuff just to allow one Japanese Celebi to surface.

Before I sold off my N64 collection, I bypassed the region lock on Japanese carts by replacing the back of the cartridges with those from cheap trash sports games:

https://imgur.com/a/zCBx3

Being worth the time is subjective, as pretty much most efforts of event preservation are. I used to think buying GBA distributions were worth the hundreds/thousands of dollars. These days? Hell no. It all depends on your passion and drive to achieve that goal. I'm pretty sure a few people I know here would be more than willing to start occasionally buying Stadium GS carts on eBay. Though the real problem I see at the core of what I was recommending is the very slim chance of finding a real one in the storage. I used to do occasionally this with Japanese Gen I carts and never got lucky. It can happen though, look at the SpaceWorld 97 Mew. However since you're referring to manipulating data from the rental Celebi, personally I wouldn't, but I don't speak for everyone.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Deoxyz said:

AFAIK, there are a few japanese forums (from 2008 or so), in the early years of Gen IV, where japanese users refers to Ahiru's Wonderland. Maybe we can't contact Ahiru but one of the users to try to find answers, probably they won't still active but who knows, we might find something more than a japanese Celebi?

9 hours ago, Deoxyz said:

What bothers me is that when these guys retire, many will likely completely stop caring about doing further trading/collecting, yet still keep these things under lock and key years later to be forgotten. Though those that are still into trading and have one of these, I don't think it would hurt to have at least ONE Japanese Celebi public in the meantime. If anyone reading this has one, I would be willing to negotiate a fair variety from my private stuff just to allow one Japanese Celebi to surface.

Being worth the time is subjective, as pretty much most efforts of event preservation are. I used to think buying GBA distributions were worth the hundreds/thousands of dollars. These days? Hell no. It all depends on your passion and drive to achieve that goal. I'm pretty sure a few people I know here would be more than willing to start occasionally buying Stadium GS carts on eBay. Though the real problem I see at the core of what I was recommending is the very slim chance of finding a real one in the storage. I used to do occasionally this with Japanese Gen I carts and never got lucky. It can happen though, look at the SpaceWorld 97 Mew. However since you're referring to manipulating data from the rental Celebi, personally I wouldn't, but I don't speak for everyone.

Yeah, I also agree, most of them stop caring about Pokémon and some others (most from Ahiru's years) don't  even know PPorg exists.
True , the chances to find something in a Stadium GS cart are REALLY low, but I think that is the only way we may get something by ourselves.

• Like 4

Yeah, I personally would not consider it a legitimate preservation.  Some people might be interested in the data and a way to re-create it, but it's not like what I was able to do with my personal Crystal Pokemon that perished with my battery. For example, that Suicune, I was able to use a LUA script to soft-reset an emulator until I got it back. In this case, my OT, my TID, the Suicune's DVs, and the location data matching (Female trainer, caught at level 40 at Tin Tower at night) All other variables like friendship/level/evs/moves/pp can vary or be grinded out by me before I send it up to Gen 7.

It's... not really not something you can do with an event pokemon.

I really don't have faith in getting lucky and finding one in the storage system. I think that would require someone to plan in advance, and even I didn't think of that option until a few years after my games died. The people that have those most likely are hoarding the cartridges and know the worth. 

Though, this did give me an alternative idea. If my memory serves me right, you have to load up the game and get the clock message before the game erases. (Turing off the gameboy and rebooting, the save will gone after that) So, I guess it might be possible if there was a GSC that wasn't booted up before the battery died and allow you to preserve it that way if it does work this way. But I think that would require more careful planning, and no way to test it before trying to back up the data immediately. I'm not sure if thrift places/online auction sites test stuff before selling them though...

I always figure the main reason most people used the Stadium storage system was to back up their pokemon to start a new game without loosing them. Some may have been transferred back, some not. That's what you'll usually see in storage, tons of random pokemon. I figure some Celebis went through this process. Like you said, some people probably know what they have. Though when they no longer care, the cart will end up somewhere with a new owner, by internet or locally, whether we find it or not. I'm sure there's some out there.

It's a very hard goal, but dedication usually pays off. At least, it's something we can aim to achieve within the coming years. I'm personally sick of spending money on this stuff, so I'd rather look towards finding a private collector to deal with... if possible lol...

In regards to the clock message you mention, idk. My Crystal gave me clock reset messages upon boot for a couple years before it actually lost the savefile. It must have had trouble retaining the RTC data with the battery getting weaker, but with any other cartridge their deaths came with no warning. It was odd. All I know is when the battery drains totally, there's zero power running through the cart to retain any RAM, so the savefile will be gone regardless of seeing a message or not.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 1

Some people on here already know, but I have been sporadically buying Japanese Gen 3 cartridges over the past year or so trying to find rare event Pokemon. I've actually jokingly called this "Hay in the needlestack." I've found a few interesting things, but nothing really major. One thing that I have found consistently is all 5/5 of the Japanese Complete-in-box (or nearly CIB) games I have bought have always had some event pokemon on them, or a wondercard from an event they attended. My theory is anyone that was willing to keep the game/box in decent condition with all of the manuals/inserts probably cared enough about the game to go out of their way to attend some events.

This is obviously not ideal, as CIB versions of older pokemon games will almost always cost 2-3 times what a loose copy will run you; but it does end up coming down to the whole Quality over quantity thing. 

Best of luck to anyone that does try to do this, and don't forget you can always resell any cartridges that don't have what you're looking for. Don't end up with 16 Gen 3 Japanese games on hand like me :P

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Deoxyz said:

I always figure the main reason most people used the Stadium storage system was to back up their pokemon to start a new game without loosing them. Some may have been transferred back, some not. That's what you'll usually see in storage, tons of random pokemon. I figure some Celebis went through this process. Like you said, some people probably know what they have. Though when they no longer care, the cart will end up somewhere with a new owner, by internet or locally, whether we find it or not. I'm sure there's some out there.

I'm completely sure that there has to be a Celebi preserved in a Stadium GS cart. Another main reason is that people wanted to play with their own Pokémon in 3D or tranfer them to another game when you only have one Transfer Pack. Also in the Nintendo Space World 2000 Celebi was distributed to Gold and Silver carts (100k Celebis, if I'm not mistaken) and the cloning process was ridicolously easy in those games! Probably some of those clones ended up stored (Who wouldn't like to have that special Celebi stored?). 

I've found some interesting images of Nintendo Space World 2000.

mvc-006f.jpg.2c1f2d8be18a631f410393dc54791b0b.jpg    mvc-008f.jpg.c24296cbc4f79116330424836913aef5.jpg    mvc-003f.jpg.3e26e87407f4c27817d8091e7b595834.jpg    mvc-011f.jpg.0a496c8c8930710e1e6134e903ecaad2.jpg

serebii_5.jpg.fe2c54b85d6d92c016967df7570b52e4.jpg    serebii_4.jpg.97d3155221772030414df4dffe564d48.jpg    serebii_1.jpg.7be973989a3d1553bc9b61f5714b211f.jpg

It seems that years later Nintendo promoted to place those Celebi in Stadium GS when both Crystal and Stadium GS were released. 

Edited by XxPhoenix1996xX
Grammatical mistake
  • Like 2