Unable to use ExeFS Changes in ROM Hacks

I've consistently been unable to use most, if not all, ExeFS changes in ROM hacks. As far as I know, I'm unbuilding the ROM correctly using HackingToolKit3DS V9 and I know the changes show up correctly in PK3DS. However, when I go to rebuild the ROM with HackingToolKit3DS and fire up the ROM in Citra, those ExeFS changes never show up. I've even tried rebuilding .bin file for the ExeFS, to no avail. I have no idea what's going on and how to fix these issues. I've managed to get around a few of these issues with crude methods (like making the items available on the Pokemon themselves to get around Gen 6 mart changes), but it'd be nice to be able to use these hacks' ExeFS changes.

Any help fixing these problems would be appreciated. I did not install any of the games' updates via .cia or the like, so I know that's not overriding anything.

Edit: It seems I got things working now. To think it was as simple as removing the period in front of ".code.bin"......

Edit 2: Using the hacks' own code.bin causes way more stuttering and FPS drops than using the original code.bin. Maybe if you could recompress it....

Edit 3: Due to the horrid FPS drops with the ROM hack's code.bin, I'm just going to keep using the original code.bin. The changes in it aren't worth the FPS drops. At least I know how to make code.bin changes go through though.

Edited by King Feraligatr

4 hours ago, King Feraligatr said:

Due to the horrid FPS drops with the ROM hack's code.bin, I'm just going to keep using the original code.bin. The changes in it aren't worth the FPS drops. At least I know how to make code.bin changes go through though. 

While I don't make exefs edits, I've not noticed frame drops on my modified code.bin on both my 2DS and N3DSXL. :/
While I have no real basis, I suspect it could be due to SD card.
Both my device's SD cards are Class 10. (At the point of my purchase, Class 10 promotes fastest reading and writing speeds, if I'm not mistaken)
What Class is your SD card on?

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

While I don't make exefs edits, I've not noticed frame drops on my modified code.bin on both my 2DS and N3DSXL. :/
While I have no real basis, I suspect it could be due to SD card.
Both my device's SD cards are Class 10. (At the point of my purchase, Class 10 promotes fastest reading and writing speeds, if I'm not mistaken)
What Class is your SD card on?

I only play the ROMs on Citra, so SD cards are a non factor for me.

10 minutes ago, King Feraligatr said:

I only play the ROMs on Citra, so SD cards are a non factor for me.

oh. Citra isn't 100% compatible with 3DS games, and I think frame drops were already an issue without modification.
In any case, at this point, it depends on computer build (ram, gpu, cpu etc), as well as how well programmed Citra is. :/

In any case, I think this more of a "Citra issues" than "making mods" issue, though I think running on modded games or layered games might make the frame rate drop more obvious,
if you've done stuff such as increase PID rolls etc.
Sorry I can't be more help than that.

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

oh. Citra isn't 100% compatible with 3DS games, and I think frame drops were already an issue without modification.
In any case, at this point, it depends on computer build (ram, gpu, cpu etc), as well as how well programmed Citra is. :/

In any case, I think this more of a "Citra issues" than "making mods" issue, though I think running on modded games or layered games might make the frame rate drop more obvious,
if you've done stuff such as increase PID rolls etc.
Sorry I can't be more help than that.

It's okay. More testing has made me feel that the emulator is more the issue as you said. I'm getting fine FPS even with the modified code.bin as long as I don't restart the ROM too much.

Edited by King Feraligatr
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

5 minutes ago, King Feraligatr said:

It's okay. More testing has made me feel that the emulator is more the issue as you said. I'm getting fine FPS even with the modified code.bin as long as I don't restart the ROM too much.

I have to mention this: my computer has a "throttle" mode, where I can select Low Power, Balanced and Performance modes,
and Citra definitely has lesser framerate drops on Performance compared to Low Power mode, so computer specs do matter,
just probably not as much as how well it's programmed ><

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I have to mention this: my computer has a "throttle" mode, where I can select Low Power, Balanced and Performance modes,
and Citra definitely has lesser framerate drops on Performance compared to Low Power mode, so computer specs do matter,
just probably not as much as how well it's programmed ><

This is on my desktop, so those power options aren't as prominent. Granted, the ROM I'm playing has to be played on Citra's more experimental and less stable branch (Canary as opposed the Nightly), so performance issues aren't out of the question with that.

• Like 1