pkNX: Nintendo Switch ROM Editor & Randomizer

On 12/22/2020 at 11:43 PM, jlaine3333 said:

I've figured out on my own how to edit the moves in swsh using a text editor but it's incredibly tedious. if you'd like the information i've gathered on the subject to help with adding this feature, i'm prepared to help.

Have you figured out how to add move effects like giving normal moves +1 priority?

On 12/22/2020 at 11:43 PM, jlaine3333 said:

I've figured out on my own how to edit the moves in swsh using a text editor but it's incredibly tedious. if you'd like the information i've gathered on the subject to help with adding this feature, i'm prepared to help.

Absolutely yes please! Tedious is way better than what we currently have which is nothing lol.

1 hour ago, JonnyDros said:

Absolutely yes please! Tedious is way better than what we currently have which is nothing lol.

I've started to mess around with it yesterday and it's mostly straightforward. All the moves are located in a folder called waza and you can find their corresponding id on bulbapedia. For bp and accuracy all you need to do is replace the hex value with desired one, same goes for the secondary effect so you can have ice beam 100% freeze etc. What I haven't figured out is how to add effect or replace with effect in different category, like giving ice beam +1 priority or raise speed, and i suspect this info is stored somewhere else and probably why they haven't rolled out move editing in pknx, cause without it the amount of things you can do is pretty limited.

18 minutes ago, rotivdik said:

I've started to mess around with it yesterday and it's mostly straightforward. All the moves are located in a folder called waza and you can find their corresponding id on bulbapedia. For bp and accuracy all you need to do is replace the hex value with desired one, same goes for the secondary effect so you can have ice beam 100% freeze etc. What I haven't figured out is how to add effect or replace with effect in different category, like giving ice beam +1 priority or raise speed, and i suspect this info is stored somewhere else and probably why they haven't rolled out move editing in pknx, cause without it the amount of things you can do is pretty limited.

Much appreciated! Not having easy access to adding effects is definitely a bummer for now, but even the basics of BP, ACC, and effect chance are way more than enough to fix up some moves in dire need of a boost. Thanks alot! Are tweaking the hex values straightforward?

9 minutes ago, JonnyDros said:

Much appreciated! Not having easy access to adding effects is definitely a bummer for now, but even the basics of BP, ACC, and effect chance are way more than enough to fix up some moves in dire need of a boost. Thanks alot! Are tweaking the hex values straightforward?

Yep, all you need is a converter like rapidtables. Was thinking of starting a tutorial on gamebanana with what i got but im a little lazy after finishing my term paper lol.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:52 PM, rotivdik said:

Yep, all you need is a converter like rapidtables. Was thinking of starting a tutorial on gamebanana with what i got but im a little lazy after finishing my term paper lol.

Hello, do you mind PM me or teaching us here how to edit MOVES using the Text or Hex editors? I really need this to finish my hackrom. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to edit trainer types in the over world?
When I change the trainer type in “PKNX>Trainers” it updates the “in battle” trainer model (which is AWESOME) but the overworld model is unchanged. There’s gotta be a file somewhere for each route that sets what trainer models load. Any ideas where this is?

I spent hours digging through romfs files and every PKNX setting before posting here. 

I’m building an ambitious rom hack of sword with a completely new script and if I could swap overworld NPC models I could radically transform the story!

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

How do you open/extract WAZABIN files?

Hey everyone, big update here. So using the information provided from the others in this thread, I figured out how to hex edit the move properties. Thus far I've been able to tweak base power, accuracy, PP, effect chance, type, physical/special, and priority. I haven't tested in-game yet, and it's a little confusing because the offset configurations can vary greatly from one move to the next. But once I know this works for sure I'll put a guide together.

What I don't know is if animations are tied to the waza files for each move. In theory, you should be able to copy and replace files for each move and then tweak any of the above properties. But this only works if animations are tied to file name and not actually anything in the file. Will run some tests soon and report back.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 7:31 AM, JonnyDros said:

Hey everyone, big update here. So using the information provided from the others in this thread, I figured out how to hex edit the move properties. Thus far I've been able to tweak base power, accuracy, PP, effect chance, type, physical/special, and priority. I haven't tested in-game yet, and it's a little confusing because the offset configurations can vary greatly from one move to the next. But once I know this works for sure I'll put a guide together.

What I don't know is if animations are tied to the waza files for each move. In theory, you should be able to copy and replace files for each move and then tweak any of the above properties. But this only works if animations are tied to file name and not actually anything in the file. Will run some tests soon and report back.

If your successful, canèt wait to try this myself.

8 hours ago, NamelessPlayah93 said:

@theSLAYER Does this work for yuzu? not legit switch

Sounds like piracy. Our forums don’t support piracy, and we can’t offer any help.

Also the program (not the dumping) supports yuzu if you dumped the decrypted ROM. Hence why I suggested you dump your own game, cause it’s unlikely you’ll go wrong there.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help, I compiled Pknx but everytime i try to open wild_Sh it gives me an error: unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click conintue the application will ignore the error and attempt to continue. if you click quit the application will close immediately. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. I dont know how to fix this or where i went wrong. I did notice that when compiling Pknx in visual studios costudra cody or wheatever was not installed but it was from the github link so i dont really know whats going on. Please help.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been fielded, but is there any reason why opening Sword 1.3.1 gets recognized and randomized as Shield? It even outputs as Shield's game ID for LayeredFS.

image.png.51d9e3a3f75747f58941e9d6daa0f0ad.pngimage.thumb.png.bd85b5d804853eba7545632221bc6b8a.png

I went and dumped Shield thinking "Oh, maybe they're opposite." Nope! It will only open either game as Shield. This is a notable issue in that if you randomize the Wild tab and LayeredFS it into Sword, it will not actually modify the wild Pokemon. I have a Twitch VOD of all wild Pokemon being vanilla while all gifts and statics are changed. Converting the save into Shield then loading the file properly loaded the randomized wild. I have the footage as a parallel record. I can do a supercut and upload if necessary.

Examples:

Sobble into Lombre

Kubfu into Duraludon

[Let's Go Data] Eevee into Lapras.

image.thumb.png.3cd8603de681742aa57ac7f5f18a114d.png

Edited by Trelior

I think I may have found a bug, not sure if it's already known or not. I set Events to True when randomizing wild encounters and it ended up including some Pokemon that aren't in the game. I assume that it's related to this part of the randomization because the only Pokemon that I could find that had been randomized, but aren't in the game are Deoxys, Hoopa, and Meoletta. Also, one of my starter options got randomized to Arceus, which resulted in an unhatchable egg. This appears to also be true for trainer randomization as well, as I found a trainer with a Darkrai. I haven't seen this as a known issue, so I just thought I'd share some screenshots to hopefully get this fixed if possible. Keep up the great work!

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

14 hours ago, Pallet_U said:

I think I may have found a bug, not sure if it's already known or not. I set Events to True when randomizing wild encounters and it ended up including some Pokemon that aren't in the game. I assume that it's related to this part of the randomization because the only Pokemon that I could find that had been randomized, but aren't in the game are Deoxys, Hoopa, and Meoletta. Also, one of my starter options got randomized to Arceus, which resulted in an unhatchable egg. This appears to also be true for trainer randomization as well, as I found a trainer with a Darkrai. I haven't seen this as a known issue, so I just thought I'd share some screenshots to hopefully get this fixed if possible. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, fixed with the latest commit: https://github.com/kwsch/pkNX/commit/c194e035cc1f3121ef5c5460b807ae6fda5524e5