the truth about MissingNO...

Cygnus

Wow, it's been what, almost 15 years since MissingNo first appeared, and there's still speculation about him?

Here is Nintendo's official statement:

MissingNo is not Togepi, or Lugia, or any real pokemon for that matter. MissingNo is a placeholder for when the hexadecimal data for wild pokemon is incorrect, thus generating an invalid pokemon. No secret Nintendo conspiracy here, just buggy programming.

This. It actually relates to the old man who teaches you how to catch a Pokemon in Viridian city. What happens, when you talk to the old man, and he battles the caterpie, it swithces the trainer's name with OLD MAN. Due to the limited amount of memory available on the game boy, they decided to store the trainer's name in the variable that decides what kind of wild Pokemon would appear along the coast. Usually this data would be overwritten, but if you go directly to Cinnabar Island, and surf along the coast, you would encounter Pokemon based on your name: Example, most people have used the name ASH, whose hexadecimal values would produce MissingNo. There are ways that you can set up your name so that only Mewtwo would appear there (I can't remember the exact name.)

There are ways that you can set up your name so that only Mewtwo would appear there (I can't remember the exact name.)

To do it, the first, third, and the fifth character in your name has to be a capital "D" - If you want a high level Mewtwo use the name "DxDyDz"

Missingno is not the only glitch pokemon in R/B/Y their was another glitch pokemon called "M". Catching "M" was the same way as Missingno with a few different steps.

I think Missingno and "M" were two different attempts of Mew.

Also their was a major glitch in the R/B Games, the glitch was to catch Mew.

In order to catch mew, you needed to catch an Abra. Then you had to walk up to a Trainer and right before the (!) came up you quickly open your party and use Teleport. After that you had to walk up the Nugget Bridge and make your way to Bill's House. On your way you had to avoid all the battles until you battle against the Trainer who had a Slowpoke. After defeating the Trainer, you had to walk back towards the Nugget Bridge. On your way back the Menu Screen would pop up by itself, now you have to Press B to exit the Menu. After you exit the Menu you will soon be in a battle out of nowhere and the pokemon will be Mew.

Their are a lot of possibilities, but nobody really knows.

Missingno had made an appearence in the G/S/C Games using a glitch by battling with Green. Missingno had also made an appearence in the D/P/PL Games by using an Action Replay at the begining of the game by using the Walk Through Walls code after you first exit your house and skipping everything about your Rival and going to the lake where you get your Pokemon Starter and then walk on the water using the Walk Through Walls code.

So I'm sure Missingno will make an appearence in HG/SS by using an Action Replay.

Missingno is not the only glitch pokemon in R/B/Y their was another glitch pokemon called "M". Catching "M" was the same way as Missingno with a few different steps.

In order to catch mew, you needed to catch an Abra. Then you had to walk up to a Trainer and right before the (!) came up you quickly open your party and use Teleport. After that you had to walk up the Nugget Bridge and make your way to Bill's House. On your way you had to avoid all the battles until you battle against the Trainer who had a Slowpoke. After defeating the Trainer, you had to walk back towards the Nugget Bridge. On your way back the Menu Screen would pop up by itself, now you have to Press B to exit the Menu. After you exit the Menu you will soon be in a battle out of nowhere and the pokemon will be Mew.

Missingno had made an appearence in the G/S/C Games using a glitch by battling with Green. Missingno had also made an appearence in the D/P/PL Games by using an Action Replay at the begining of the game by using the Walk Through Walls code after you first exit your house and skipping everything about your Rival and going to the lake where you get your Pokemon Starter and then walk on the water using the Walk Through Walls code.

So I'm sure Missingno will make an appearence in HG/SS by using an Action Replay.

No. MissingNo. is a bug in the battle system. Has to do with there being 256 Hexadecimal Values, and only 151 Pokemon. Those other 105 slots produce MissingNo.

Actually, that's DPBox. I did that too, but at Amity Square. I had a clone that only showed up in battles and sent out DPBox. It was pretty stupid and always had the shiny sparkle.

Hehe, people have their own theories and don't wanna read the truth.. Anyway it's well enough documented at glitchcity.info (seems to be offline atm, odd) so no need to make rumors that it's a beta Mew or alpha Celebi... it's not.

• 1 year later...
Missingno is actually the remnants of an incomplete erasure. Apparently, Nintendo planned to put 152 pokemon in, the 152nd being most likely Lugia, from scripting scans. You know the tv show pokemon, there was togepi, marril, lugia? This strange glitch contains the incomplete data of them and more. Ever wonder why, provided the circumstances, Missingno. evolves into Khangaskan, remoraid, lugia, or something? Apparently, a link between data sources(different game cartridges) triggers a completion in the coding and, so to speak, completes the puzzle. This is the truth of Missingno. Things happen when its data inadvertently combine with other data. Even the rare candy trick.

where are you even getting this from? you can't actually believe that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I do agree with you. My theory is that they had planned to have more than 151 Pokemon but saved some for gold/silver/crystal...oh and mew wasn't supposed to come out in generation 1, hence only being available in glitches and gameshark.

• 4 years later...

The Lugia/scrapped Pokemon theory is similar to the "PokeGod" theory, that they are second generation Pokemon but both are untrue.

MissonNo., M, LM4 and all other glitch Pokemon are legitimately just that, glitches, similar to the Mew glitch except using a hexadecimal that didn't exist in the first generation. Their, appearances, movesets and evolutions are a jumbled mess of existing Pokemon data.

Also consider the fact that glitch Pokemon are harmful to your game. My best friend once told me that another friend of hers lost his Charizard when he captured MissingNo, it just vanished. I've heard that it can also prevent link cable battles and kill your save battery.