Importing Wondercards from different Region -Legality Language

CharizardOutrage2

There are/were a lot of exclusive event Pokemon available in Japan. Normally I use the wonder card for the intended region to avoid legality issues.

I rad the WC7 guide to understand the correlation between Language and Region. But I have not found any resources how this affect wc4 and wc5 files.

So to simplify my question here is an example. In Japan there was an Victini event that was different to the US/EU event. The Japanese Victini had the moves "Blue Flare" and "Fusion Bolt" instead of "Fusion Flare" and "Fusion Bolt". source: https://www.serebii.net/events/dex/494.shtml

Could I inject these Japanese Victini wonder card into an Europe Game and receive this Victini? Would it be legal? Would the name of Victini be English or Japanese? Difference between In-Life and Wifi on Gen4 and 5?

Same question for V-Create Rayquaza https://www.serebii.net/events/dex/384.shtml.

I asked because I want to have all my Pokemon in the same language. The OT doesn't matter to me but the name of the Pokemon.

EDIT: Does this grafik apply to wc4, wc5, wc6 and wc7?

8K5OAZL.jpg

Edited by CharizardOutrage2

On 10/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, CharizardOutrage2 said:

But I have not found any resources how this affect wc4 and wc5 files.

Could I inject these Japanese Victini wonder card into an Europe Game and receive this Victini? Would it be legal? Would the name of Victini be English or Japanese? Difference between In-Life and Wifi on Gen4 and 5?

For Gen 6 and Gen 7, Language Region. (because you can select any language regardless of region 3DS at the start of the game)

However if I'm not mistaken, the previous generations treated it as such.
Meaning, Japanese cart only receives Japanese event etc.
So no, you can't inject the Japanese event Victini into a non-Japanese cart.

Basically for NDS games, the games can only receive events wonder cards from it's own language.
If the language'd wonder card doesn't exist, then the event doesn't exist.

Still, I'll like to be sure. @Sabresite probably should chime in on this.
It's been so long, so I don't really remember it all that well. At least that is how I think it was supposed to be.

I remember the Singapore Pikachu (G5) event at Isetan (Takashimaya),
I had to use my Japanese cart and not my English cart, to receive the Japanese event,
despite the event for Japanese and English distribution being concurrent.

(my English cart received the English WC)

On 10/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, CharizardOutrage2 said:

EDIT: Does this graphic apply to wc4, wc5, wc6 and wc7?

8K5OAZL.jpg

WC6 and WC7.
Technically, the title of the article already exclusively said it was for WC7, but the region options are the same with WC6,
so I added it to the title too.

edit:
To add on to my point, another staff went to the same event as I did.
I underlined the important part.

On 5/11/2012 at 2:20 PM, ReignOfComputer said:

Event Uploaded: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?15282-Gen-V-Event-Collection-and-Contribution-Thread&p=145835&viewfull=1#post145835

My Image Dump: http://pkm.reignofcomputer.com/Pictures/Singapore%20Pika%20Pika%20Carnival%2012

Only Japanese and English distributions, I tried with other languages but found nothing.

Asked to see the distribution device. As always, a DS with a distribution cartridge (with a lock attached). The "Distribution" text was in Japanese. Couldn't take a picture, they wouldn't let me. It's in the cupboard under the TV next to the counter.

Also bought a Cyndaquil plush *squeeeeee*

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CharizardOutrage2 said:

Ok thank you very much :). One more thing. If I play on an japanese 3DS with an Japanese copy of XY,ORAS,SM or USUM and injecting a Japanese wonder card. Played on English all wonder card Pokemon will be in English language?

pretty sure this is explained in the article.

If the wonder card is set to follow save's language, the nickname/name of the received Pokemon will follow save's language.
Has NOTHING to do with region.

• Like 1

Gen 4/5 had distributions locked to a specific language. The wondercards could be written in English for example, but it would have a language flag for that game. For example if WORLDS wanted to distribute the same wondercard in English to every language, there would be 7 wondercards, all in English, but with a language flag specific to the language it was distributing.

Gen 6/7 depends on the distribution method.  The wondercards themselves are not region locked. Gen 6/7 has language limitation capabilities but as far as I am aware, it was never used.  Serial code events are different.  The serial code redemption itself is what determines the language/wondercard received (if applicable).  Redemption of a serial code is region/language restricted.  If a region supports a language, but the wondercard doesn't exist, then the user gets the region's default language (Japanese for Japan, Korean for Korea, and English everywhere else).

US - Restricted to NA (including SA) - English, French, Spanish - All other languages get English
EU - Restricted to EU Region - English, French, Spanish, German, Italian - All other languages get English
JP - Restricted to Japan Region - All languages get Japanese
KO - Restricted to Korean Region - All languages get Korean
HK/TW - Restricted to EU English, JP, and TW Regions - All languages get English
SEA - Restricted to US & JP - All languages get English

Sometimes HKTW and SEA are combined so it becomes All US, All EU, JP, and TW (I think Marshadow was like this?)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

The wondercards themselves are not region locked. Gen 6/7 has language limitation capabilities but as far as I am aware, it was never used.  Serial code events are different.  The serial code redemption itself is what determines the language/wondercard received (if applicable).

To add on to this, due to this mechanism, that is why Gen 6 and 7 Local Wireless and Infrared events are not region locked.
The "region locking" experienced by Nintendo Zone and Serial Code events are done by the server.
As there's no exception to this thus far, it is easier to simply keep the terminology in place,
and refer to serial code and nintendo zone events as region locked, as it's tedious to keep stating that
"the lock was enforced by the server".

Granted, PGL serial codes has been region free for the most part, they still assign the language of the card based on the receiver's 3DS's region, so nothing has changed there.

25 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

US - Restricted to NA (including SA) - English, French, Spanish - All other languages get English
EU - Restricted to EU Region - English, French, Spanish, German, Italian - All other languages get English
JP - Restricted to Japan Region - All languages get Japanese
KO - Restricted to Korean Region - All languages get Korean
HK/TW - Restricted to EU English, JP, and TW Regions - All languages get English
SEA - Restricted to US & JP - All languages get English

Sometimes HKTW and SEA are combined so it becomes All US, All EU, JP, and TW (I think Marshadow was like this?)

Yeah, a few times the made an event for HKTW and SEA combined, so the only region that couldn't redeem it was Korea ><

• Like 1

22 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

To add on to this, due to this mechanism, that is why Gen 6 and 7 Local Wireless and Infrared events are not region locked.
The "region locking" experienced by Nintendo Zone and Serial Code events are done by the server.
As there's no exception to this thus far, it is easier to simply keep the terminology in place,
and refer to serial code and nintendo zone events as region locked, as it's tedious to keep stating that
"the lock was enforced by the server".

Granted, PGL serial codes has been region free for the most part, they still assign the language of the card based on the receiver's 3DS's region, so nothing has changed there.

Yeah, a few times the made an event for HKTW and SEA combined, so the only region that couldn't redeem it was Korea ><

It is weird because I think EU nonEnglish cannot even redeem an SEA Pokemon? Can you confirm @theSLAYER?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

It is weird because I think EU nonEnglish cannot even redeem an SEA Pokemon? Can you confirm @theSLAYER?

I remember @Kirzi saying that quite a while back, if I’m not mistaken. If I have any codes for the currently running SEA events, I could give it a try (to reconfirm that information, and maybe properly document it somewhere).

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 4:33 AM, theSLAYER said:

I remember @Kirzi saying that quite a while back, if I’m not mistaken. If I have any codes for the currently running SEA events, I could give it a try (to reconfirm that information, and maybe properly document it somewhere).

Can confirm. SPA, FRE, GER, and ITA languages on a PAL 3DS cannot receive HKTW codes or HKTW+SEA codes.

Instead, you'd have to use ENG, JPN, KOR, CHT, or CHS.

My theory is that, for HKTW codes on a PAL 3DS, the game looks for a card specifically for each language. GER looks for a card that's coded as a German language card, and so on. So that's why you get a "gift is not there" error when you try to redeem a HKTW code in that language - the game literally cannot find the card, because there's not one. ENG language cards find one because there is an English card, and JPN/KOR/CHT/CHS are set to "default" to looking for the English card, so you do find the gift when you try to redeem the code on those languages.

I'm pretty sure the same thing happens with SEA codes on the NA 3DS - except for the fact that when SEA codes go online, they upload the English card as the English card, and the Spanish card, and the French card. So you'll always be able to find a SEA code on a NA 3DS. Presumably, they could do this with HKTW codes too, but choose not to for some reason.

Put another way, here's what a HKTW event looks like on the server:

- JP
- PAL-ENG

Here's what a SEA event looks like:

- JP
- NA-ENG
- NA-SPA
- NA-FRE

So naturally, when you see this, you can tell it's a combined HKTW+SEA:

- JP
- PAL-ENG
- NA-ENG
- NA-SPA
- NA-FRE

(There's actually more, because they upload one each for Sun/Moon/US/UM, but you get the idea)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Reading this thread and testing I have realized that you can perfectly import local events in GEN 4 between different regions, the question is if it would be legitimate to import local events from FRE in a GEN 4 SPA rom.

5 hours ago, aire said:

Reading this thread and testing I have realized that you can perfectly import local events in GEN 4 between different regions, the question is if it would be legitimate to import local events from FRE in a GEN 4 SPA rom.

Regions don't exist in Gen 4. Only language.

If I'm not mistaken, Gen 4 wonder cards are language locked.
You can only receive the wonder card meant for your cart's language.

4 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Regions don't exist in Gen 4. Only language.

If I'm not mistaken, Gen 4 wonder cards are language locked.
You can only receive the wonder card meant for your cart's language.

Thanks, I understand then that even if I can inject them with PKHEX, I can see the cards and acquire the gift it would not be a legitimate thing because I could not have gone locally with my cartridge to another country to receive the gift. Are the local events language locked?

5 hours ago, aire said:

Thanks, I understand then that even if I can inject them with PKHEX, I can see the cards and acquire the gift it would not be a legitimate thing because I could not have gone locally with my cartridge to another country to receive the gift. Are the local events language locked?

Unless there's special circumstances, they are languaged locked.

Think of it like this: in the distribution file, there is a table for each language. Normally, each language will only have the card for *that* language. So if there isn't a card for *that* language, that row is blank.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, theSLAYER said:

Unless there's special circumstances, they are languaged locked.

Think of it like this: in the distribution file, there is a table for each language. Normally, each language will only have the card for *that* language. So if there isn't a card for *that* language, that row is blank.

Thanks, can that table be examined with a hex file? I mean the WC4 file, I don't know its encoding, seems to be compressed or coded.

I had read around here that most local wireless events were region free but it must be for later generations and that's why I confused it.

Edited by aire

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

You can, but it would require looking at the data of distribution carts, and download that is piracy. Big no no here.

Therefore this information is not on the wondercard as such, but on the distribution cartridge, so we cannot know it without examining the cartridge with which the wondercard was distributed.

2 hours ago, aire said:

Therefore this information is not on the wondercard as such, but on the distribution cartridge, so we cannot know it without examining the cartridge with which the wondercard was distributed.

[As a disclaimer to those reading this post without reading anything before, this relates to Gen 4 and Gen 5 events]

The information is known and confirmed by those in the community.
In addition, while the data cannot be seen by those who attended IRL events, it matches up with the experience of those individuals that experienced it independently. (They were not able to receive wonder cards on the other language carts that they brought along).

Finally, while not the same medium as local events, the same phenomenon was noticed by those that tried to redeem cross-language events online.

Granted, this information is like, 10-15 years old by now, but there has been nothing to refute it.

(There is a notable exception for one of the WORLDs in Gen 5, but that is about it)

[In addition, I'm talking about real server and real events when it was those games' time. Not talking about fakeGTS and fake servers what not.]

And to respond back to your older post (which I must have missed):

5 hours ago, aire said:

I had read around here that most local wireless events were region free but it must be for later generations and that's why I confused it.

yeah, region free for local is a Gen 6-8 thing.
In terms of data and carts, regions didn't exist prior to Gen 6, but languages were a thing.
Gen 5 events were definitely language locked (unless they specifically tried to bypass it, like one of the Worlds).

If you got any kind of evidence that challenges the known information, I could look into it :3

edit: hope this helps:
https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/59301-language-and-region-information-regarding-events/