patching HG/SS with "thenewpoketext"

ok im not sure if its been answered yet or not but ive scoured the internet to find and answer to the question "how do you patch the text in HG/SS with poketext" and have succeeded. its quite simple but i will post a quick explination of the before process. if you are not familiar with "thenewpoketext" program then you will need to download it and a new copy of "ndstool" and a pokemon HG/SS rom they will all need to be in the same folder.

1. open "thenewpoketext" it will appear in a command prompt screen

2. type in the file name for the rom ex: pkmnHG.nds (dont forget the .nds) but dont close the screen

after you have done this a new folder should appear with tmp_ before the filename ex "tmp_pkmnHG"

3. open the folder and go to "root" then "a" then "0" then "2" and copy the file names "7"

4. go back to the "root" folder and go to the "msgdata" folder and paste it

5. rename the file "msg.narc" and go back to the window for "thenewpoketext"

6. type in "getall" without the "" and type in the name of the xml EX: "HGtxt.xml" (make sure you put ".xml")

for this next part i use "programmers notepad" because it can handle the size of the file without lagging my computer but you can use notepad etc to do it as well.

7. now open the xml with your editor of choice, youll notice that the text is broken down into sections imbetween (file id="#" change="false") and (/file)

8. copy one of those sections that you want to translate, (I started with "(file id="0"") and translate it.

9. open a new document in your editor and paste the translation, but now at the very top of the page you will need to paste:

(?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?)

(Poketext version="1.0")

at the top of it and change the "change="false"" to "change="true""

then at the bottom you need to put:

(/Poketext)

at the bottom of the document

10. save the file as an xml (for me since i used "(file id="0"" i named it "file0.xml") in the same folder as the "tmp_" folder

11. now patch it into the game back to the "thenewpoketext" screen type in patch and then the name of the xml file EX: patch file0.xml

it will pop up with "parsing pokexml version 1.0" and under it will be the file number that was just patched EX: I patched (file id=1

parsing pokexml version 1.0

12. finaly to recompile the game or just to make a brand new .nds file type in mkrom and the the name for the file EX: mkrom pkmnHG2.nds

and now you have a rom with the section that you translated hope this answered a lot of uestions people had/have.

note: the board wot let me display the proper characters for the brackets so (=< when it comes to editing inside the XMls

edit: i was mistaken on the process for reentering the translated text into the rom instead of just making a new xml file you have to export a single "file" xml using the "get" command so that you can import the new file the syntax for that is "get {id} {XMLname}" EX: get 0 import.xml

Edited by pokehackster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
when I use the programers notepad, the original text from the translation turns into ????. Whats the problem?

you might need to install the japanese language pack for your OS otherwise im not sure, i have had issues with programmers notepad before but usual updating it will fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

when I tried patching my xml file, thenewpoketext immediately close. I took a picture before thenewpoketext closes and thenewpoketext said:

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'dialogue'

I know this thread is over a year old and the English rom had already came out, but I'm trying to edit the text of HG.