OR/AS and PkHex. National dex flag? How to?

drygin

Hi guys! I have a pretty simple question for you.

I've used save editors from time to time in the past, but I just recently got a new 3ds and started AS on it. As I wanted a challenge, I decided to try one of those expanded hacks (Star Shappire) which have good reputation. However, I've found a problem, and it's that you are not given the National Dex at the start, which leads to non-Hoenn pokemon not being identified. (???)

I specifically remember using other save editors which allowed you to change key events and, specifically, the pokedex setting (Standard-National). However, I can't find that option in PkHex.

How is it exactly done here? I just want to set my dex to national so entries show up.

Thanks for your help.

• 9 months later...

(I hope it doesn't show up twice now):

You can enable the national pokedex on the "main" save file using a hex editor by setting the value in the offset 0001 5004 from 00 to 01 (hex). Then you have to open the save with pkhex and save it again so that the checksum is recalculated. I actually could give you a pkhex patch for that or even a compiled executable if you want, but I would have to see how I could do it (well, the patch, compiled executables would not be legal to give out unless I also have the patch ...), so I would only do that if you want.

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, redboy50 said:

from what im seeing there is no offset "0001 5004"...... im using HxD

I think they meant the address/offset 0x15004. (you can see the leading zeroes matches what is shown in HxD)

Tho I'm not entirely convinced the information is right, cause the value I have there is neither 00 nor 01

image.png

Give it a try: change it to either 01 or C1 (as I'm pretty sure I already have the national dex), then use PKHeX to fix the checksums.

51 minutes ago, redboy50 said:

i just copied what you showed the offset 00015000 i changed all of that line

eh, it wasn't necessary to copy that entire line; you probably changed some other flag as well.

Well at least we know what you've done, and future readers can also refer to that :)

7 minutes ago, redboy50 said:

no i dident change anything i just put what i saw there lol.... very helpful! thanks

You only need to edit one byte, but instead you changed the whole row, lol

plus I don’t even know what your original row looked like. For all I know, your whole row was different from mine.

It might also be necessary to set flags in Box Layout, there is one that gets set when you defeat/capture Kyogre/Groudon, which unlocks an extra box in the PC, but there's always a possibility that the game also checks this flag to decide whether or not dexnav hidden Pokémon appear, who knows.

image.png.5693162f986c64a764d83ba828fb4038.png

• 1 month later...

Well, probably there are other values possible for that offset too. So I suspect it is rather "set the least significant bit to 1" than setting the whole byte to 1. Sorry, I just basically compared a save file from before I got the national dex to afterwards and there I only had 0 or 1.

I also don't know anything for the DexNav. I only wanted this flag so I could make/play a Romhack with having pokedex entries for each Pokemon I catched.

• 2 years later...
On 12/9/2019 at 11:11 AM, theSLAYER said:

I think they meant the address/offset 0x15004. (you can see the leading zeroes matches what is shown in HxD)

Tho I'm not entirely convinced the information is right, cause the value I have there is neither 00 nor 01

image.png

Give it a try: change it to either 01 or C1 (as I'm pretty sure I already have the national dex), then use PKHeX to fix the checksums.

How do I access this data? not sure where to even find it.

Update: Attempted to do this using HxD. All it did was corrupt my save data.

Final update: Realized my mistake. Didn't fix the checksums. Tried again, did it right, and it all worked. Thank you, and apologies for being daft.

Edited by Adrienne
  • Like 1