The Legality Question/Check Thread

Metalbear

46 minutes ago, Beastball-Hunter said:

Hey guys, i just noticed that the Gen7-Starters are flagged illegal, when they are not in Pokeballs. 

Since september/october they should be obtainable in any available Ball in ShSw trough raids. 

Which game do they originate from?

1 hour ago, Beastball-Hunter said:

Hey guys, i just noticed that the Gen7-Starters are flagged illegal, when they are not in Pokeballs. 

Since september/october they should be obtainable in any available Ball in ShSw trough raids. 

Old versions of programs don't automatically update their definitions.

Use the latest PKHeX release, not something from before they made something new available.

• 1 month later...

So I got a few shiny pokémon (no legendaries, just normal random encountered pokémon) on Arceus game (Shiny encounter - Edizon).

Does PKHeX has some way to make them auto legit? Or what steps should I take to make them actual legit?

PS: I have not uploaded them yet in pokehex, but I assume they will pop up as non-legit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: It seems they show up as ultra-shiny, but legit. I thought pokemon legend arceus did not have ultra shinies? So is this a red flag?

Edited by vree

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty new to PKHeX, just trying to edit some genuine mons, and a handful are showing as illegal after making edits. I'm using the most recent build of PKHeX from 22.02.14 with save files exported through JKSV. 

• I have a pair of Araquanid from the Max Lair. Untouched, they pass the legality check. I'm just trying to change their ability from Water Absorb to Water Bubble and then suddenly I get three errors: 4th move (Poison Jab) is invalid/unable to match the encounter from origin game/OT Memory: Can't obtain Location on OT Version. 
  • I have a Torkoal met a Motostoke Riverbank. I try to change its speed from 31 to 0 and I get the following error: Encounter Type PID mismatch.
  • Shiny Palossand from Loop Lagoon, trying to reduce speed from 21 to 0 and I get the error: Encounter type PID mismatch
  • Alolan Marowak from Max Lair, trying to change its ability from Rock Head to Lightning Rod. I get an invalid move error and unable to match from origin game. 

I've had a few other similar errors but hopefully if I understand what the issue is with these, I can fix any other weird legality flags I encounter. 

Edited by HundOh

Below, I’ll be quoting you part by part and replying to them separately.

On 3/13/2022 at 3:53 PM, HundOh said:

I have a pair of Araquanid from the Max Lair. Untouched, they pass the legality check. I'm just trying to change their ability from Water Absorb to Water Bubble and then suddenly I get three errors: 4th move (Poison Jab) is invalid/unable to match the encounter from origin game/OT Memory: Can't obtain Location on OT Version. 

I’ve amended what I said in this portion before I posted it. Refer to the Marowak response below.

have a Torkoal met a Motostoke Riverbank. I try to change its speed from 31 to 0 and I get the following error: Encounter Type PID mismatch.

For many SWSH encounters, EC-PID-IVs-HT-WT are correlated. You change one of them, the correlation breaks. That’s the error message you got. 

basically either change them all to a legal combination based on the correlation, or don’t change them at all.

Shiny Palossand from Loop Lagoon, trying to reduce speed from 21 to 0 and I get the error: Encounter type PID mismatch

Same issue as above.

Alolan Marowak from Max Lair, trying to change its ability from Rock Head to Lightning Rod. I get an invalid move error and unable to match from origin game.

Hidden Abilities cannot be changed to regular abilities in-game, so what you did is not legal. If you want a non-HA copy, gotta use a different encounter.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, theSLAYER said:

Hidden Abilities cannot be changed to regular abilities in-game, so what you did is not legal. If you want a non-HA copy, gotta use a different encounter.

I get the rest of what you've said, but why can't I edit the HA ability with an editor? Can I reroll other values to change the ability? 

41 minutes ago, HundOh said:

I get the rest of what you've said, but why can't I edit the HA ability with an editor? Can I reroll other values to change the ability? 

You can't legally change HA->1/2 because there's no in-game method to do that. Encounters that are only Hidden Ability can only have Hidden Ability.

Use the encounter database to find something that meets your requirements (hence "use a different encounter).

• Ditto 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm just trying to stick a Battle Memory Ribbon on a pokemon from Emerald (faraway island Mew), and for some reason it's invalid 😢

Im assuming it's related to the mew having not actually participated in a battle yet. Does that sound right? If yes, what so I need to do in the PKSM hex editor to make that legal? I tried adding a bit of exp and that didn't fix it. Maybe some effort values?

37 minutes ago, InfiniDim said:

Hello! I'm just trying to stick a Battle Memory Ribbon on a pokemon from Emerald (faraway island Mew), and for some reason it's invalid 😢

Im assuming it's related to the mew having not actually participated in a battle yet. Does that sound right? If yes, what so I need to do in the PKSM hex editor to make that legal? I tried adding a bit of exp and that didn't fix it. Maybe some effort values?

Battle Memory Ribbons are not possible on several Pokémon (mostly mythicals, but some legendary/"special" pokemon as well), as they are entirely banned from participating in the battle facilities.
See the following pages below for lists of Pokémon that cannot obtain Gen 3/4 Battle Facility ribbons, and are therefore ineligible for a Battle Memory Ribbon in later generations where those ribbons are consolidated:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Tower_(Generation_III)#Restrictions
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Tower_(Sinnoh)#Restrictions
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Frontier_(Generation_IV)#Overview

Edited by Atrius97

On 3/27/2022 at 6:32 PM, Atrius97 said:

Battle Memory Ribbons are not possible on several Pokémon (mostly mythicals, but some legendary/"special" pokemon as well), as they are entirely banned from participating in the battle facilities.
See the following pages below for lists of Pokémon that cannot obtain Gen 3/4 Battle Facility ribbons, and are therefore ineligible for a Battle Memory Ribbon in later generations where those ribbons are consolidated:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Tower_(Generation_III)#Restrictions
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Tower_(Sinnoh)#Restrictions
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Battle_Frontier_(Generation_IV)#Overview

Ah, I totally forgot about the rules, thank you! It's been over a decade since I played Emerald, and I unfortunately lost all of save data at some point, so I wanted to give myself this one mythical as a sort of consolation for everything I lost, and stick one of each memory ribbons on it to symbolize my accomplishments in those worlds as well. I guess I could just give myself one more mon, but I already don't like cheating personally. I'm only giving myself this mew because I had one before, I can get another one now from SP, and I always especially wanted that unobtainable faraway island one...

Oh well, I'll figure it out. Thanks for the resources!

Btw, I had a small side question. So the Mew is totally legal, but only without a met location. When I mark it as faraway island, it says invalid met location, expected Poké transfer. I'm editing in Alpha Sapphire. Is this normal for that Mew, or have I given myself the wrong one?

Edited by InfiniDim
Adding question

6 hours ago, InfiniDim said:

Ah, I totally forgot about the rules, thank you! It's been over a decade since I played Emerald, and I unfortunately lost all of save data at some point, so I wanted to give myself this one mythical as a sort of consolation for everything I lost, and stick one of each memory ribbons on it to symbolize my accomplishments in those worlds as well. I guess I could just give myself one more mon, but I already don't like cheating personally. I'm only giving myself this mew because I had one before, I can get another one now from SP, and I always especially wanted that unobtainable faraway island one...

Oh well, I'll figure it out. Thanks for the resources!

Btw, I had a small side question. So the Mew is totally legal, but only without a met location. When I mark it as faraway island, it says invalid met location, expected Poké transfer. I'm editing in Alpha Sapphire. Is this normal for that Mew, or have I given myself the wrong one?

You’re using the correct Mew. Gens 4 and 5 change the met location during the transfer process. So all Pokémon from gens 3 and 4 will have a met location of Poke Transfer since that is what gen 5 sets the location to. All future gens don’t change the met location. Also side note the only legal Faraway Island are the Japanese ones since the event was never released outside of Japan.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I noticed a Rapidash from an old Diamond save of mine is flagged as invalid because the contest sheen value is apparently too high? Her beauty stat is 19 with a total sheen of 48, but according to PKHeX the sheen should be 44 or lower. (I've attached the Pokémon file for reference.) I don't know why this value would be flagged - from what I can tell, it makes sense for a Pokémon that was fed a few low-quality poffins.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I transferred her to White version years ago, which is why she's a .pk5.

078 - Priori - 0D0BF186C652.pk5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

I am trying to understand how memories work.

Take Groudon from Max Lair as example. The one I caught only has memories with me. But if I use PKHeX to make one, the "remember a move" guy in the PokeCentre will say Groudon has memories with a previous trainer. Is there a way to not have "previous" memories so it looks like it was caught as opposed to traded?

2 hours ago, boogiefrogs said:

Hi there!

I am trying to understand how memories work.

Take Groudon from Max Lair as example. The one I caught only has memories with me. But if I use PKHeX to make one, the "remember a move" guy in the PokeCentre will say Groudon has memories with a previous trainer. Is there a way to not have "previous" memories so it looks like it was caught as opposed to traded?

image.png

It can have memories with OT, and also memories with a trainer that isn't an OT.

8 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

image.png

It can have memories with OT, and also memories with a trainer that isn't an OT.

I have been trying to use that but no matter what I do, if I check memories at PokeCentre, he will always say it came from Link Trade. Do I need to do something else on these screens so that the mon only has one memory, so it looks like an encounter and not a trade?

I have myself selected, and set a memory:

image.png.d113f0e79f35aec99d890c734f3ce9c6.png

And remove the (not OT)

image.png.343cb756e8fbcf19d3ad96d95aa4b51f.png

4 hours ago, boogiefrogs said:

I have been trying to use that but no matter what I do, if I check memories at PokeCentre, he will always say it came from Link Trade. Do I need to do something else on these screens so that the mon only has one memory, so it looks like an encounter and not a trade?

I have myself selected, and set a memory:

image.png.d113f0e79f35aec99d890c734f3ce9c6.png

And remove the (not OT)

image.png.343cb756e8fbcf19d3ad96d95aa4b51f.png

Just to be sure, the Mon OT details matches yours? Including origin game?

Also, I’ve got to check, you’ve definitely set the Mon into the save, exported the edited save, restored the edited save into your game?

38 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Just to be sure, the Mon OT details matches yours? Including origin game?

Also, I’ve got to check, you’ve definitely set the Mon into the save, exported the edited save, restored the edited save into your game?

Yes, the OT details as well as origin game are correct.

However, I've realized that this can likely only be done with a modded switch where I would modify the save file directly, and re-import. I unfortunately do not have a modded switch and was relying on bots but was hoping there was a way to force it so it wouldn't have a "traded" memory.

Unless I am mistaken and it can be done with a trade bot.

59 minutes ago, boogiefrogs said:

Yes, the OT details as well as origin game are correct.

However, I've realized that this can likely only be done with a modded switch where I would modify the save file directly, and re-import. I unfortunately do not have a modded switch and was relying on bots but was hoping there was a way to force it so it wouldn't have a "traded" memory.

Unless I am mistaken and it can be done with a trade bot.

Actually I think the memory is OT memory, just that it says you received it via trade. Just do a bunch of things with it in-game to try to change the memory.

But do note in the data, it will have the bot as NotOT, unless you managed to trade it with someone else.

Hi, so i wanted to make a legal-looking gen 3 (fire red) cerulean cave shiny Mewtwo. I'm doing it mostly for fun and online battling, so no unfair trading. I'm doing it for USUM (Ultra Sun) if that matters. I think i did everything right, i set up the memories (ill send a ss just in case), no ribbons, legal moves, Met section is OG Game FireRed met in Poke Transfer met level 70 and the date is in 2020 so im completely sure it was obtainable by that point, he is not a fatefull encounter, i tried to use  him with my OT and a random OT and im sending over both pk7 files, im new to this so i couldave looked over something simple so if someone could help i'd be very thankful

obraz_2022-05-23_141547326.png

150 ★ - Kapow - C7F1EC6BE777 (my OT).pk7 150 ★ - Kapow - C872EC6BE777.pk7

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 1:01 PM, Dogma8 said:

with the new update, all my pokemon in sword are entirely invalid because of their TRs, i cant find a way around this without outright removing the TRs from all my pokemon. is this a current bug in pkhex? should i ignore this?

The lastest update fixed this.

3 hours ago, Asia81 said:

Hello, are Miraidon/Koraidon IV Locked with 25/31/25/31/25/31 ?

Everytime I try to change any it become illegal.

They are IV locked.