The Legality Question/Check Thread

Metalbear

19 hours ago, Farfetchd said:

I'm not 100% if natures, IVS etc. are predetermined on every single in-game trade, but so for my purposes: If I play through Heart Gold once and do all the in-game trades, if I did it again on another save those Pokemon could not be clearly sorted to one playthrough over the other (once they've been traded a gen up and latest handler isn't indicative)? (I know it's a bit of a weird question, sorry for that)

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/In-game_trade#List_of_in-game_trades you can check here

1 hour ago, mineiro45 said:

hello

I don't understand why the following error message appears : invalid geolocation country is not in 3ds region

However I had this pokemon by a person who owned it thanks to the pokemon home

thanks

n.png

This mon wasn't transfered by someone with HOME.

Is that so. and is it legal and playable online directly?

n.png

it's weird because with all the serious people who exchange me zeraora (of pokemon home), when I go on pkhex the home tracker is always at 000000000
There must be a problem with this pokemon.
He is the only one who does this

Hi. I have a question about a trade evolution pokemon. 

I have a hacked switch with emunnand where i used pkhx to edit the way that trade evolution pokemon evolve (from trade to level 40) in Pokemon sword.

If i trasnfer a pokemon via pkhex to my sysnand save (where i play online, i found a guide in gbatemp with instructions to backup and inject a save without cfw and I been using for a few months now without any problem or ban) will it have any legality issues because it was never traded to evolve? 

Is there any flag or byte in the Pokemon code that is flagged when it is traded? 

Thanks.

Edited by Pedro250

The mon must have your name in HT_name. When it gets traded to someone else, that field is occupied by their name.
So when traded back to you, that field gets replaced by your name.

Besides that, the save also records number of trades, so you may wanna edit that so that it is not 0.

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

The mon must have your name in HT_name. When it gets traded to someone else, that field is occupied by their name.
So when traded back to you, that field gets replaced by your name.

Besides that, the save also records number of trades, so you may wanna edit that so that it is not 0.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

In Emerald natively? Only Speed form.

When transferred upwards? Can be any form, cause of the various transform mechanics littered across those games.

I used some PK file that has a shiny Deoxys on it for USUM and it's Normal Form, flagged as legal. What I was wondering is If I could create multiple with different forms.

Hi all, I'm relatively new to all this and was hoping to use the USUM 807 save from the downloads section simply to import a complete dex into HOME and have the 'mons ready if SwSh/future games ever include the whole dex again. What I don't understand is if I'll need to change anything in PKHeX to ensure that nothing is flagged resulting in a ban. I know the 'mons are "legal" in the save, but would I need to change any trainer info to make sure nothing conflicts in HOME? My thought was that if I just send a Pokemon to home, and someone else has used the same save to send the same one, wouldn't that get detected? Apologies if this is a nooby question or if its in the wrong place. Thanks!

Duplicates are not "detectable" nor are they "bannable". It is entirely possible for two regular Pokemon to have the exact same data properly in-game and they haven't drawn that line for either normal or rare/event Pokemon. That would be weird and unfair to those where it did happen. Not to mention a ridiculous amount of work to attempt to stop cheating that would be easily circumvented by just changing a single digit anywhere (OT, nickname, HID, etc), as basing an almost-exact copy as bannable would have ultimate backlash.

Heh, otherwise I'm in trouble with all my special Gardevoir, Shiny Mew (only available via a Japanese Emerald, the event item was never released for any other region systems, like how the Gen IV Arceus event item was never released anywhere so those are all illegal), and others.

22 minutes ago, jariesuicune said:

Duplicates are not "detectable" nor are they "bannable". It is entirely possible for two regular Pokemon to have the exact same data properly in-game and they haven't drawn that line for either normal or rare/event Pokemon. That would be weird and unfair to those where it did happen. Not to mention a ridiculous amount of work to attempt to stop cheating that would be easily circumvented by just changing a single digit anywhere (OT, nickname, HID, etc), as basing an almost-exact copy as bannable would have ultimate backlash.

Heh, otherwise I'm in trouble with all my special Gardevoir, Shiny Mew (only available via a Japanese Emerald, the event item was never released for any other region systems, like how the Gen IV Arceus event item was never released anywhere so those are all illegal), and others.

Oh okay, that was a really good way to put that, actually. Thank you! So I shouldn't have anything to worry about by using the save then? I'm sure tons of other people already jumped on this before I even started reading about it the other day haha.

1 minute ago, Jainya said:

Hey, how i can make pkmn from gen7 with Move Tutor Move legal in pkhex?

Or Pkmn with tm from previous like Umbreon with toxic?

I dont have other games to transfer them.  

yeah provided they originate from previous gens (aka not caught/bred in gen 8), their move tutor moves will be legal.

This may seem like a dumb question but ( in gen 8 ) if a PID passes the pkhex legality check does that mean it will also pass the in-game legality check? And, if so, is this also true when editing pokemon that were obtained through in game events such as starters or legendaries?

14 hours ago, noep said:

This may seem like a dumb question but ( in gen 8 ) if a PID passes the pkhex legality check does that mean it will also pass the in-game legality check? And, if so, is this also true when editing pokemon that were obtained through in game events such as starters or legendaries?

As far as I can tell, there's no in-game legal checks.

Though there may be online legal checks (trading, raids etc), but those can be wrong. (They let impossible shinies through, blocked event shinies etc)

About editing Event Pokemon: If you want to guarantee it being Legal, MAKE SURE you know what characteristics are forced as an aspect of that Event. For example, if the Event release has specific IV's and Ability then changing it would obviously render it Illegal. Also it can't know anything that would require being in a previous game, like a move that is only learned from a past TM/Move Tutor.

A note about my previous post: There apparently IS now a kind of Duplicate Checker, as I'm sure many of you have already noticed. In short, it only applies to a Pokemon that has ever been stored in Pokemon Home where it is given an additional identification number (no, not one that has ever been part of a Pokemon's file before, it's NEW) that is supposed to be unique and then if any two Pokemon have that same ID while coexisting in Pokemon Home then all but one will be automatically deleted.
So, in short, if you are, like me, only doing duplications in Gen 7 (3DS) or older, then you are safe (a different number is assigned to each Pokemon entering Home). If it is in any Switch games, then you will want to make sure you don't involve Home until after you are done duplicating (save yourself some frustration).