The Legality Question/Check Thread

Metalbear

Hi guys. I have a question about .pk6 files that i found here. They are smogon builds. And they are legal. So here is the thing:

Can i use my save file and just put a pokemon from those .pk6 i my box? Or i need to change its SID, OT etc? Cause i think that if i just paste them in my save file they would not have the same OT, SID, etc and that means they are a trade pokemon, but they dont have them last trainer OT and that stuff.

Sorry for my english. If you guys understand what im saying, what should i do?

Hi guys. I have a question about .pk6 files that i found here. They are smogon builds. And they are legal. So here is the thing:

Can i use my save file and just put a pokemon from those .pk6 i my box? Or i need to change its SID, OT etc? Cause i think that if i just paste them in my save file they would not have the same OT, SID, etc and that means they are a trade pokemon, but they dont have them last trainer OT and that stuff.

Sorry for my english. If you guys understand what im saying, what should i do?

If the Pokemon have a different OT, TID, SID, etc., then they won't be considered "yours". You'll need enough gym badges to use them or they'll start misbehaving, but I think they get boosted XP. To make them considered "yours", you'll have to make sure all the trainer data matches.

If the Pokemon have a different OT, TID, SID, etc., then they won't be considered "yours". You'll need enough gym badges to use them or they'll start misbehaving, but I think they get boosted XP. To make them considered "yours", you'll have to make sure all the trainer data matches.

Ok, i really dont care they are not considered "mine". I just want them to be legal.

Lets put it this way: When i trade a pokemon via GTS, the pokemon that i recived will have my OT, SID as my new pokemon, or it will still have his old trainer things? I ask these because all i want is to transfer those .pk6 files to my save file, so what OT, SID, etc would they have if they are in my game ("obviously" been trade)

Traded Pokémon retain the OT/ID/SID of its original owner.

Your OT gets saved as "current owner" in its data, but this is never seen in-game.

PKHeX will automatically do that for you when you add them to your save file.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently in a guild that trades event pokemon. Trying to find a legality checker. We are building one from our pkmdb, the one we are currently building will be a modified keysave This will only allow us to check known viewable information and SID. What program file reader would be best to check the data in a pkm file> hexeditor or C# or something else? Currently I have MS visual enterprise. When checking the data are there any known code mistakes beside trash bits, and what locations in the code are these mistakes located in etc..If there is already a thread or topic would someone please refer it to me.

Thanks in advance,

My first post here, I hope I am in the correct forum

Thanks

GG

Edited by DoubleG

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2017 at 4:30 PM, DoubleG said:

Currently in a guild that trades event pokemon. Trying to find a legality checker. We are building one from our pkmdb, the one we are currently building will be a modified keysave This will only allow us to check known viewable information and SID. What program file reader would be best to check the data in a pkm file> hexeditor or C# or something else? Currently I have MS visual enterprise. When checking the data are there any known code mistakes beside trash bits, and what locations in the code are these mistakes located in etc..If there is already a thread or topic would someone please refer it to me.

Thanks in advance,

My first post here, I hope I am in the correct forum

Thanks

GG

Legality is being slowly buit into PKHEX and porybox.  If you are looking for gen 4 to 7, just validate against the wondercard and get a region lock list.

If you are looking for gen 3, PKHEX checks some things but not everything.  For now the legality algorithms are not completely public.  You are more than welcome to send 3rd Gen pkm files to me.

The information in gen 3 that is important is: species, any special moves, pid, ot gender, ot name, and tid. Of course there are trash bytes, and that is not public either but I'll be happy to check those too.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but just wanted an opinion because this baffles me. I stumbled upon this First Ever LEGIT Shiny Celebi in Sun and Moon! Transferred from Crystal video, and the guy insists what he did was all legit and calls anyone who denies a troll or hater. Looking at his previous video on how he caught Celebi he used the GS Ball event and soft resetting in Ilex Forest, but it wasn't on a japanese version. After catching it he said he used Pokemon Editor Legacy Version to convert it to a 3gpkm file then using PKHEX to generate a QR code to bring it to Gen 7. Is this at all legal, and let's hypothesize that the VC for Gen 2 games does get released in the future, does that change anything? 

Edited by Rayquaza911

1 hour ago, Rayquaza911 said:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask but just wanted an opinion because this baffles me. I stumbled upon this First Ever LEGIT Shiny Celebi in Sun and Moon! Transferred from Crystal video, and the guy insists what he did was all legit and calls anyone who denies a troll or hater. Looking at his previous video on how he caught Celebi he used the GS Ball event and soft resetting in Ilex Forest, but it wasn't on a japanese version. After catching it he said he used Pokemon Editor Legacy Version to convert it to a 3gpkm file then using PKHEX to generate a QR code to bring it to Gen 7. Is this at all legal, and let's hypothesize that the VC for Gen 2 games does get released in the future, does that change anything? 

There was a discussion here not too long about Gen 1 glitch Mew and if it should be considered legal or not. I would expect the same situation if the Gen 2 games get released but unless Pokémon/Nintendo releases an event that activates the flag IG those Celebis won't go through PokéBank.

50 minutes ago, wejhvabewjty said:

There was a discussion here not too long about Gen 1 glitch Mew and if it should be considered legal or not. I would expect the same situation if the Gen 2 games get released but unless Pokémon/Nintendo releases an event that activates the flag IG those Celebis won't go through PokéBank.

Do you have a link to the thread? Are you talking about the VC Gen 1 Mew? It won't go through (at least mine wouldn't)  Bank but other glitched Pokemon (Ditto glitch) were able.

Edited by Rayquaza911

3 hours ago, Rayquaza911 said:

First Ever LEGIT Shiny Celebi in Sun and Moon! Transferred from Crystal ... Celebi he used the GS Ball event and soft resetting in Ilex Forest, but it wasn't on a japanese version ... Pokemon Editor Legacy Version to convert it to a 3gpkm file

Not Legit. Not even Legal.
Until GameFreak provide Gen 2 VCs (we already know its possibly planned, based on data in Sun/Moon), with the in-game Celebi event activated in some form game patched or some real life event scenario,
none of the Gen 2 Celebi's will be legit/legal.

I can use ACE to obtain a Shiny Celebi in Pokemon Emerald without any external devices, but it still ain't legit, despite being "created within the bounds of the game".

1 hour ago, wejhvabewjty said:

Gen 1 glitch Mew

IMO not Legit. (also it can't cross bank).

Even under a chain of circumstances (Trainer ID RNG'd or changed, on yourself or the Mew, and Trainer fly glitch Mew), it's at best Legal, not Legit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Not Legit. Not even Legal.
Until GameFreak provide Gen 2 VCs (we already know its possibly planned, based on data in Sun/Moon), with the in-game Celebi event activated in some form game patched or some real life event scenario,
none of the Gen 2 Celebi's will be legit/legal.

I can use ACE to obtain a Shiny Celebi in Pokemon Emerald without any external devices, but it still ain't legit, despite being "created within the bounds of the game".

IMO not Legit. (also it can't cross bank).

Even under a chain of circumstances (Trainer ID RNG'd or changed, on yourself or the Mew, and Trainer fly glitch Mew), it's at best Legal, not Legit.

Thanks, this is a good answer I was hoping for, I agree with you on the ACE in Emerald. Guess let the guy live in his own bubble then if it makes him happy I guess.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Alhevno said:

Hello everyone i have a question can anyone say me if this pokemon are legal or not, i'm also pretty sure that it is legal  thx a lot fot the help :D 

491 ★ - ダークライ - 44CF2C102C15.pk7

Hey, load it up in PkHeX,

Hold down control as You click the legality analysis icon, screenshot and show it to me :)

(simply put, I'm not by my computer right now)

3 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Hey, load it up in PkHeX,

Hold down control as You click the legality analysis icon, screenshot and show it to me :)

(simply put, I'm not by my computer right now)

Legal!
===

Valid Move 1: Learned by Level-up.
Valid Move 2: Learned by Level-up.
Valid Move 3: Learned by Level-up.
Valid Move 4: Learned by Level-up.
Valid Relearn Move 1: Valid.
Valid Relearn Move 2: Valid.
Valid Relearn Move 3: Valid.
Valid Relearn Move 4: Valid.

Fishy: TID and SID are equal.
Valid: Valid gift/static encounter.
Valid: Nickname matches species name.
Valid: Current level is not below met level.
Valid: All ribbons accounted for.
Valid: Ability matches ability number.
Valid: Correct ball for encounter type.
Valid: Gender matches PID.
Valid: Nature matches PID.
Valid: History block is valid.
Valid: Geolocation: Country is in 3DS region.
===

Encounter Type: Static Encounter (Pt) (Darkrai)
Origin Seed: 3EF7F4E6
PID Type: Method_1

Pkhex says that is legal, but many people are saying that can be legal so i have this trouble, once again thax for the help :D

a.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have this "legal" Gen IV event Jirachi that I snagged (pun intended) off of Pokecheck back in the glory days. It comes up as illegal on PKHeX, just curious if it's actually illegal?

EDIT: The issue is "Encounter Type PID mismatch".

Jirachi.pk7

Edited by ZMaster

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using PKHex for awhile now. I used the program to change the nature, level, and moves of my Pokemon that I transferred up from previous games. I also used it to Hyper Train some of my Pokemon. After I made the changes, I ensured that the PID and encryption constant were both re-rolled after the changes. In all previous versions of PKHex, the Pokemon were reported as legal. I updated PKHex to the newest version today, and suddenly swabs of my Pokemon are reported as illegal. I chose five Pokemon .PKM files that I believe are fairly representative of the types of problems I am seeing in my Pokemon. I really hope someone can help me figure out why they are showing up as illegal and how I can fix it. Thanks!

024 - Arbok - 360EEA05CC8C.pk7

144 - Articuno - 21379F98DDF3.pk7

164 - Noctowl - A618E50F701D.pk7

226 - Mantine - 6514520CA9DE.pk7

711-01 - Gourgeist - 632887E2B4E9.pk7