Problem Invalid: Encounter Type PID mismtach (3gen)

Kev-randar

2 minutes ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

So the question is whether Box's inbuilt emulator will produce vBlank interruptions, which are more easily detected in stationary encounters. Does this justify a Ruby playthrough on a GameCube/Wii? Some edge case legality checks could benefit from it, no?

I updated my post above. But short answer is yes definitely. The timing on the Wii especially is most likely different enough that double emulation will give weird ass results. Try it.

2 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

I updated my post above. But short answer is yes definitely. The timing on the Wii especially is most likely different enough that double emulation will give weird ass results. Try it.

Regarding the Wii: I was always under the impression (and said so earlier) that on actual backwards-compatible Wiis there was no emulation going on for GameCube games, just a CPU underclock. Is this not the case? If so, two playthroughs are in order. In two or three months, I might be able to do a Wii test, but I can't do it on a GameCube, so if someone has the setup and can do ir earlier, it would be much appreciated.

Just now, Shady Guy Jose said:

Regarding the Wii: I was always under the impression (and said so earlier) that on actual backwards-compatible Wiis there was no emulation going on for GameCube games, just a CPU underclock. Is this not the case? If so, two playthroughs are in order. In two or three months, I might be able to do a Wii test, but I can't do it on a GameCube, so if someone has the setup and can do ir earlier, it would be much appreciated.

CPU underclocking would be enough to cause weird timings. And the GC emulator may not play exactly by itself either. Then people will ask about Box emulated on PC running RS.. sigh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

CPU underclocking would be enough to cause weird timings. And the GC emulator may not play exactly by itself either. Then people will ask about Box emulated on PC running RS.. sigh.

And let me throw another spanner into the gears while I'm at it: there may be differences between PAL and NTSC versions due to the 50/60Hz video modes, which affect timings.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether the PAL version supports PAL60, but if it does, then it may be different from both PAL and NTSC.

Edited by Shady Guy Jose
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

And let me throw another spanner into the gears while I'm at it: there may be differences between PAL and NTSC versions due to the 50/60Hz video modes, which affect timings.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether the PAL version supports PAL60, but if it does, then it may be different from both PAL and NTSC.

Yeah all of this requires actual testing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

Yeah all of this requires actual testing.

Meaning 9 different scenarios (Wii, GameCube, emulator, each in PAL, NTSC and PAL60), of which 3 (the emulator ones) have only an academic purpose, while 6 are actually related to actual possible legit gameplay. I can help in a few months, but this is gonna be a LOT of work ?

EDIT: PAL60 isn't supported, but NTSC 480p is. However, that should not be any different from 480i regarding timings, so we're down to NTSC/PAL on GC and Wii

Edited by Shady Guy Jose
  • Like 2
  • Hahaha 1

• 2 years later...