Save Stuff

Chase-san

sheesh, stupid. i only tried to help.

c03 tell it to get read to read (there only for completency...)

c05 is busy blah blah (not honestly needed I admit)

c9F first byte of identifier <-- Important

c00 second byte of identifier <-- Important

i know well about these values...

for hg/ss those values are not stable, they change randomly. in other games, they are fixed and can easily be used to find out how to read the save.

anyways fact is you haven't even tested it yourself, and reading your reply doesn't really get my hopes up for a fix anymore.

what do you mean 'whatever', he says that he wants someone to come on irc so he can send them files for them to test (i strongly assume)

you could have learned that fact about the values from the first page, but i have no idea of your background so you may know more, i do not!

you don't need to be negative, this guy obviously has the ability to make the tool, it is just complicated. if you do now more information about the save thing and how it would be accomplished, i am sure everyone would be grateful if you posted some tips, but it doesn't matter, since one day the tool wil come about.

for hg/ss those values are not stable, they change randomly. in other games, they are fixed and can easily be used to find out how to read the save.

To bad it was actually ifyfg who brought that up 2 days ago, and me mentioning it may be the case a day or so before that. Just go away. You are just reusing old facts other people have gotten to try and seem 'intelligent'. (And it isn't working.)

Also I have tested, just not on HGSS. It works on other carts just fine. As for it succeeding, atleast I am working on it. Where as some people just like to sit and complain about people who are attempting to solve the problem.

Edited by Chase-san

well, those values change randomly like everytime you poll them.

i never claimed it'd be easy to do nor that i would be able to do it.

all i said was i don't see much hope for this tool if the author doesn't even care to test it.

i may sound negative though it may possibly motivate those who are working on it to try harder.

however i think reverse engineering the game code may be the only chance to succeed.

well, those values change randomly like everytime you poll them.

i never claimed it'd be easy to do nor that i would be able to do it.

all i said was i don't see much hope for this tool if the author doesn't even care to test it.

i may sound negative though it may possibly motivate those who are working on it to try harder.

however i think reverse engineering the game code may be the only chance to succeed.

He is using us as his testers because he doesn't own the game. The game cost me $60USD and took 3 weeks to arrive and since it will be in the US by the spring some don't see the point in purchasing. Also only Chase is working on this and receives no pay for this. Now I don't know about you but a I fully appreciate this contribution to the hacking community. I could wait two months for the full version. Time is a precious thing in life I have very little free time in my life and I think most will agree it is important to take time in your life to do other things in your life not just work on programming for people who don't appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any more help needed regarding the topic of this thread? I recently got in a Retail Copy of each HG and SS, so Chase-san, if you need some info or me to test some things let me know. I hadn't been checking the boards for awhile so, sorry if i'm late. >_<

yeah i tried it, it gave some error, i forget which one though, oh, i didn't use v10, it was v9.2 (since v10 wasn't out then). so unless you updated the ds loading bit too, it might just error up again.

Same with me, got an error so any new ideas. I am very grateful that you are still working on this.

It needs something written before eeprom is accessible then. Unfortunately I don't know where or what needs to be written. I may attempt to run it through a decompiler again later, however I am going to be very busy this week (midterms, 4 of them)

Good luck on your midterms and no rush as long as you can figure it out at some point.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chase, can you please post savhax's source code, or at least quickly describe the logic you're using to access the EEPROM? I'm attempting to write a tool to restore the save to a retail cart, and that'd save me the trouble of attempting to do the reversing myself.