Save Stuff

Chase-san

http://www.csdgn.org/files/savhax.7z

http://www.csdgn.org/files/savsender.7z

Basically yeah, its stuff I compiled/wrote for you people who wanna get your HGSS/save on or off your cart, the savHax is undocumented so I will give a short explination on how it works.

The savsender included is a heavily hacked down copy for your enjoyment it also 'should' work. This is all assuming the info I got was globally correct. Its the standard savsender, slot 1 only, friendly. Untested. (hope?)

Slot 1 Flashcart:

savhax requires some sort of extended ram (3in1, opera ram, etc etc etc).

1. Start savhax.

2. Pull out your flashcart and insert your retail cart.

3. Select "EEPROM --> SRAM" and let it do its thing.

4. Put your flashcart back in the DS.

5. Quickly restart your DS (turn off and then back on)

6. Start savhax again.

7. Select "SRAM --> FILE"

8. Assuming it comes up with the correct size, your done!

Slot 2 Flashcart: Not tested.... (not sure if it even works in slot 2 device)

1. Start savhax.

2. Select "EEPROM --> SRAM" and let it do its thing.

3. Select "SRAM --> FILE"

4. Assuming it comes up with the correct size, your done!

Hey I will test this with my SS game and post back my results.

Okay you a very big bug a least for me that is. When I click on NDS EEPROM-- GBA SRAM it says "unsupported EEPROM. Aborting! Press A". But when I click NDS cart info it shows up as:

Game ID: Pokemon SS

EEPROM:

Type: 0

Size: 8192

Extended Data:

c00: FF c03: 00 c05: c9F: 00

Edited by bear831
Update on data

What i found strange is when i was using my DS Lite and removed my R4 and put in my SS it would restart as if i turned my DS off but when i played i tried it with the original DS it didn't happen. Not sure why.

Also im not really sure what this 3in1/opera ram is.

Other that that im getting the same problem as the above poster.

3in1' opera are slot two expansion packs that let you backup files to the pack. This is mainly used for GBA emulation and backup/restoring of roms and saves.

Just wanna make sure though. Will i need to buy anything to make this work?

Dang great time for my AK2i's sd slot spring to break..., does anyone know how to fix this?

Its fixed, I ripped the cart apart and taped it together. Half of the cart is gone but it works, sort of.

Edited by bear831

yeah, when i try to dump it like you said, it says unsupported eeprom, although i am using a 3in1+, i'm not sure if that is supported, but even so, that is the sram not the eeprom.

good luck with the program, we are all rooting for you!

-edit.

Game ID: Pokemon SS

EEPROM:

Type: 0

Size: 8192

Extended Data:

c00: FF c03: 00 c05: c9F: 00

i get this....

Extended data:

c00: 3F

c03: FF

c05: 1F

c95: 3F

why are the different? i am using ss too...

oh, wait everytime i try it i get different results...

-edit again.

ZOMG.

!!!11111one!!

i was kind of annoyed that it didn't work, so i kept tapping 'a' as fast as a could whilst pressing my ss cart in and out, and then it just saved it to sram... now i will try to dump it to the sav.. ok, it didn't work, 0 sized sav. ok, i didn't need to eject the cart multiple times, lol.. i got the same result by just tapping 'a' real fast, and this time i got an 8KiB save...

ok, i finally got a 256 save, but it was blank with some dots at the end. i also got some -12723434 KiB or something saves, and the program just crashed. so yeah, it does't work for me.

ah ha! mine is currently 'reading sram' after i rebooted it choosing type 3 512kb and ripping it.

it has been like this for like 2 mins..

-edit. ok did it and it seemed like everything went perfect, but the save is basically blank.

-edit again. yeah, tried it three more times, three 512kb saves that have not much in them.

oh mannn! was it hard to try and make it work for hg/ss? sorry if you spent along time, it would be good if you could test it yourself then you could work out what is the matter, but yeah i assume you can't! anyway, thanks for trying, and i'm not sure if i should say don't give up lol ahah.

i don't know what this tool does, but just forcing save type 3 won't work.

special commands need to be executed.

Your a moron. If you don't know what the tool does then why are you suggesting you know how to fix it?

All things considered I already mentioned that may be the case.

"If it doesn't work, then some otherwise specialized work needs to be done to work with the carts."

But just so you know, saying 'just forcing save type 3' shows how little you really know on the subject.

The save type is just how many extra address bytes it needs to write to the carts memory controller to access the entire eeprom. In fact type 3 works for ANY size eeprom, but its a waste of access/write time (considering how slow the cart is) to do so.

What probably is the case is that the cart probably requires special initializer data to be written to a specific address before the eeprom can be accessed. Finding this data should be as simple as reverse engineering the rom. (if anyone cares to do my work for me).

--

Yes I realize I am biting off this halpless persons head with this post, but honestly the short know-it-all posts people tend to post bother me a great deal. If you want to discuss the topic, your going to have to post more then a "your doing it wrong". Especially if the person who your saying it to already stated that they may be doing it wrong!

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

That 'extended data' I was looking at is explained here: http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dsfirmwareserialflashmemory

However the save doesn't seem to follow the standard, so I need to look into it a bit more.

c03 tell it to get read to read (there only for completency...)

c05 is busy blah blah (not honestly needed I admit)

c9F first byte of identifier <-- Important

c00 second byte of identifier <-- Important

I will maybe try to enable the WEL before reading and see if that helps at all in next version. But I need to get with one of you on irc when you have a few extra hours.

Edited by Chase-san