Possible way to pkhex saves with powersave

YourFavoriteNeko

Something I noticed while breeding(thank god for quick hatch) is that if my game gets disconnected after uploading the save it will still send it to the server and then download the edited file. My question is if its possible to replace the save file once its downloaded and ready to apply to the game cartridge with one edited with pkhex. I'm sure someone else has already noticed this and looked into it but I couldn't find any mention of it. Probably won't work because I highly doubt i'm the only one  to notice this but I can always dream. I'd also like to know if this could be used to put files from your game onto a second copy of the game. Another thing would be somehow spoofing a game being plugged in with the save file you want and then plugging your copy of the game in(this seems less likely to be possible but i'm not well versed in this kind of thing)

Thanks

(this is my first post so I hope this is the right section)

12 minutes ago, YourFavoriteNeko said:

Something I noticed while breeding(thank god for quick hatch) is that if my game gets disconnected after uploading the save it will still send it to the server and then download the edited file. My question is if its possible to replace the save file once its downloaded and ready to apply to the game cartridge with one edited with pkhex. I'm sure someone else has already noticed this and looked into it but I couldn't find any mention of it. Probably won't work because I highly doubt i'm the only one  to notice this but I can always dream. I'd also like to know if this could be used to put files from your game onto a second copy of the game. Another thing would be somehow spoofing a game being plugged in with the save file you want and then plugging your copy of the game in(this seems less likely to be possible but i'm not well versed in this kind of thing) 

Thanks

(this is my first post so I hope this is the right section)

It is not possible to use Powersaves to inject a save edited by PKHeX.

IIRC Datel made their service in such a way that it doesn't allow external edits.

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

It is not possible to use Powersaves to inject a save edited by PKHeX.

IIRC Datel made their service in such a way that it doesn't allow external edits.

Well what is it that specifically prevents this from working? Just because something is designed to prevent it doesn't mean exploits don't exist. Nintendo doesn't exactly want people using things such as powersave/homebrew/flashcarts/etc. Either way i'll be getting a flashcart delivered soon so i'm not to concerned about it. But who doesn't love a good challenge? I'm more curious on the technical aspects then anything.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, YourFavoriteNeko said:

Well what is it that specifically prevents this from working? Just because something is designed to prevent it doesn't mean exploits don't exist. Nintendo doesn't exactly want people using things such as powersave/homebrew/flashcarts/etc. Either way i'll be getting a flashcart delivered soon so i'm not to concerned about it. But who doesn't love a good challenge? I'm more curious on the technical aspects then anything.

Thanks

The hurdles are:
1. Getting a fully decrypted save that can be re-encrypted correctly without causing problems with the game.
There's a method out there to convert a Powersaves save file to a main save, but I'm not sure if it's fully decrypted and can be returned afterwards. (I think it can, so this isn't a problem)
[I think the problem was with RAM dumps, not powersaves converted saves]

2. Encrypting the save.
The "main" save PKHeX exports is a decrypted save, and users normally use a homebrew app on their 3DS to inject it, and that process encrypts the save. (and the encryption is dependent on the cart and 3DS)
Given that you don't have any of those options yet, as much as the 3DS has been cracked apart, I would imagine it is not possible for laypeople to encrypt the save correctly on their computer, without using any of the 3DS services.

3. Hijacking the transmission to inject the encrypted save
If Datel's software uses an encrypted tunnel to transfer the save to and fro form their servers,
and if they use some kind of verification to cancel the process if checksums mismatch,
hijacking it with the sole purpose of injecting resigned files would be tedious to do.

4. Ultimately, no one would tackle the problem as it is not worth the effort.
For the most part, installing CFW on 3DS is cheap and easy nowadays.
ntrboot works on all 3DS models and firmwares, and only requires a compatible NDS flash cart.

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

The hurdles are:
1. Getting a fully decrypted save that can be re-encrypted correctly without causing problems with the game.
There's a method out there to convert a Powersaves save file to a main save, but I'm not sure if it's fully decrypted and can be returned afterwards. (I think it can, so this isn't a problem)
[I think the problem was with RAM dumps, not powersaves converted saves]

2. Encrypting the save.
The "main" save PKHeX exports is a decrypted save, and users normally use a homebrew app on their 3DS to inject it, and that process encrypts the save. (and the encryption is dependent on the cart and 3DS)
Given that you don't have any of those options yet, as much as the 3DS has been cracked apart, I would imagine it is not possible for laypeople to encrypt the save correctly on their computer, without using any of the 3DS services.

3. Hijacking the transmission to inject the encrypted save
If Datel's software uses an encrypted tunnel to transfer the save to and fro form their servers,
and if they use some kind of verification to cancel the process if checksums mismatch,
hijacking it with the sole purpose of injecting resigned files would be tedious to do.

4. Ultimately, no one would tackle the problem as it is not worth the effort.
For the most part, installing CFW on 3DS is cheap and easy nowadays.
ntrboot works on all 3DS models and firmwares, and only requires a compatible NDS flash cart.

So like most things, it's technically possible. Just not practical? I'm assuming attempting to build my own card reader would also be pointless? I'm more looking for a project to waste my time on while i'm on a trip. I'm about to head over to the flashcart's topic because I was planning on ordering one today(mainly to put a few of my games on it for while i'm on my trip) so do you have any suggestions on which website would be best for legitimacy and usa shipping? I'm needing to get it within 3-4 weeks.

Thanks

8 hours ago, YourFavoriteNeko said:

So like most things, it's technically possible. Just not practical? I'm assuming attempting to build my own card reader would also be pointless? I'm more looking for a project to waste my time on while i'm on a trip. I'm about to head over to the flashcart's topic because I was planning on ordering one today(mainly to put a few of my games on it for while i'm on my trip) so do you have any suggestions on which website would be best for legitimacy and usa shipping? I'm needing to get it within 3-4 weeks.

Thanks

If the method of save re-encryption is not fully understood, then it's not at all possible.
The same can be said for how Datel transmit the information as well.

Build your own card reader? It might certainly be pointless if you didn't have a Powersaves account.
Powersaves definitely authenticates your account (they check whether you registered your e-mail account with a product key after purchase), so without it, the service wouldn't work.
Furthermore, Powersaves is region locked. Users who purchased it in the wrong region, had to e-mail Datel to request to get the Product Key's region changed, in order to be able to use it (they were able to do it server-side).

You getting a NDS or 3DS flashcart?

On 6/20/2018 at 1:39 AM, theSLAYER said:

If the method of save re-encryption is not fully understood, then it's not at all possible.
The same can be said for how Datel transmit the information as well.

Build your own card reader? It might certainly be pointless if you didn't have a Powersaves account.
Powersaves definitely authenticates your account (they check whether you registered your e-mail account with a product key after purchase), so without it, the service wouldn't work.
Furthermore, Powersaves is region locked. Users who purchased it in the wrong region, had to e-mail Datel to request to get the Product Key's region changed, in order to be able to use it (they were able to do it server-side).

You getting a NDS or 3DS flashcart?

I have a powersaves reader and account. I meant throw together some fire hazard of a card reader and try and see if I can remember how to use c++ and make a buggy mess thats more likely to corrupt my saves then download/upload new ones(though looking into it a bit more I've realized I have absolutely no idea where to even begin). Also I ordered a r4I pro or something along those lines.