Will you still be playing Pokemon once gen 25 hits?

KillerCorgi

It's been 22 years for Pokemon, and 3 years from now it'll be the silver anniversary. That got me thinking with each gen having a lifespan of at least 3 years, it would be expected around the 2070s for this silver numbered gen and around the 75th (or possibly even 80th if some future ones will be extended an additional year for a total of 4 years) anniversary of the franchise.

• Like 2

In my current mindset, I (or anyone else) can say and feel like I could play for my entire life.

However, realistically speaking if I am alive by then: assuming I don't develop memory loss or any other critical illness, have dropped interest in the series due to more crucial things developed in my life or the future staff not having done something dreadful to the series in general at that time (this part seems plausible ngl), I hope so. Maybe I'd look back on old games for nostalgia.

I'd hope to get my possible future (grand)kids into it but I'm pretty doubtful about that, it's not like I could enforce them to live out my hobbies, but if they do I'd be proud, but again, with what the future generation of kids are looking like, I honestly don't hold a lot of hope in this.

I as a long time fan have had a really great time with the series and don't regret picking a GBC up and still playing the games up to this point despite many of my old school friends have long given up since DP on the series.

tl;dr Time will tell for me how long I'll be committed let alone be alive for. Same applies for anyone else (yes even someone like Serebii's or Pokejungle's webmasters).

• Like 6
  • Ditto 3

No and i doubt i'll be alive at your specified time frame op, but in the off chance i am then i'd prolly be yelling at kids that approach me with their absurd super high tech phones like "back in my day we bought a game for full price and used our skills and wits to complete it!" and whip out my belt when my own kids ask for microtransactions or whatever the new stupid gimmicky shit is then

• Like 3
  • Hahaha 1

If I haven't grown out of it yet at this age, I don't think I ever will. At least in regards to playing what I already love. There's no telling if the franchise may eventually stray far enough from the core concept enough to turn me away for good to all future titles. But even with the increasing casualization the past few generations, I still remain optimistic for the future. I'll keep playing current titles as long as they're still fun in some way to me. And even with LGPE, while I think it's too simplified for me, as long as it's a separate line of the core series, I don't see how it won't at least be fun to play in short spans when you don't have the time to get too invested. A separate line like this is also good to spit out during the down years like this to hold us over until the next big new games get released, eg Pokemon Switch 2019, because the last down year in 2015 was a killer bore for me. But now I think I'm straying of onto another topic, so I'll stop on that note.

There's also other aspects that keep me going though. Like the ongoing effort of historical and event preservation, to make sure we don't loose important pieces of the franchise's past. When more unseen distribution software surfaces, and stuff like the amazing Gold/Silver beta demo, these get me just as excited as a new game does.

• Like 3

Nah mate, and to be frank imo by that time because me and every millennial/player since gen 1 and even players since like bw will be old farts by then, wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo and even Gamefreak will have completely new and younger staff of that time and have gone through a complete overhaul like how they transitioned from playing cards all the way to video games and consoles in order to cater towards the new generations of kids at that point in time with whole new ways of gimmicky nonsense as Arthur said.

I'd say I'm more optimistic for as long as the current developers are around as they know what their old time fans want. I'll just enjoy the games so long as they are good and not something like f2p, cause in an expectation vs. reality scenario, I doubt the vast majority of current fans and even people on this here website and thread now will still be playing and hacking the games come that time, especially for the 100th anniversary. This is also assuming if no possible nuclear war bursts out by then.

• Like 1