HomeBrewed switch questions <<

phact

EDIT:

So they have answered the question BUTTTTTTTT, what i want to know now is, IF i homebrew my hardware flawed switch, will i still be able to update the console when new games come out (like pokemon which will require an update)

if updates are available, will homebrew still be there? should i just wait for pokemon to come out before homebrewing?

original question:

hey, so im sure you all geeked out as much as i did from the Lets Go trailers

my question to you is, should i go ahead and buy a 3.0.0 switch NOW from ebay while they are still cheap so that i can use Homebrew and its save editor for PKHex when lets go comes out?

i assume Kaphotics will be making PKHex for Lets go as well correct? so should i pull the trigger half a year early so that i will be able to use it?

•  
Edited by phact

8 hours ago, phact said:

hey, so im sure you all geeked out as much as i did from the Lets Go trailers

my question to you is, should i go ahead and buy a 3.0.0 switch NOW from ebay while they are still cheap so that i can use Homebrew and its save editor for PKHex when lets go comes out?

i assume Kaphotics will be making PKHex for Lets go as well correct? so should i pull the trigger half a year early so that i will be able to use it?

•  

You don't need a 3.0.0 switch to homebrew (and most likely CFW) your switch. They have homebrew up to the latest firmware now, with that hardware exploit they found. Here is a tutorial

CFW and homebrew installation *might* be easier on lower for wares, tho. I have to note, that I don't know for sure.

I'm keeping my switch at 4.0.1 (or whatever the minimum firmware version was for Mario Oydessy)

I also purchased the JP Puyo Tetris when it was mentioned to be useful for installation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 8:18 AM, theSLAYER said:

CFW and homebrew installation *might* be easier on lower for wares, tho. I have to note, that I don't know for sure.

I'm keeping my switch at 4.0.1 (or whatever the minimum firmware version was for Mario Oydessy)

I also purchased the JP Puyo Tetris when it was mentioned to be useful for installation.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:45 PM, NinFanBoyFTW said:

You don't need a 3.0.0 switch to homebrew (and most likely CFW) your switch. They have homebrew up to the latest firmware now, with that hardware exploit they found. Here is a tutorial

hey, so i bought my switch

ONE THING I NEED TO KNOW, 

since i have the "hardware flaw" switch, isnt it true if i homebrew it now, future games will require an update, which will render the homebrew useless right? like, if i put homebrew on, and in november pokemon comes out, it will require an update to run it, and then boom, HB is gone? or is homebrew able to stay after updates? (or will it not even allow updates?)

OR, does it even matter? since its a hardware flaw, i should be able to homebrew it again when pokemon comes out regardless right?

@phact Your Switch will always be exploitable regardless of firmware version.

The only advantage of staying on a lower firmware (4.1.0 or lower) is it *might* become easier to exploit the Switch in the future, for example not requiring a PC, Phone or USB dongle to enter RCM mode.

However if you update you could keep your Switch's sysnand clean for online play, then have an emunand which is kept totally offline for hacks and homebrew at a later date. Emunands are not possible yet, however will be when the Atmosphere CFW is released.

At the moment i'm on firmware 4.1.0 and staying there to keep my options open, all currently released games work on 4.1.0 too.

Edited by InsaneNutter
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

@phact Your Switch will always be exploitable regardless of firmware version.

The only advantage of staying on a lower firmware (4.1.0 or lower) is it *might* become easier to exploit the Switch in the future, for example not requiring a PC, Phone or USB dongle to enter RCM mode.

However if you update you could keep your Switch's sysnand clean for online play, then have an emunand which is kept totally offline for hacks and homebrew at a later date. Emunands are not possible yet, however will be when the Atmosphere CFW is released.

At the moment i'm on firmware 4.1.0 and staying there to keep my options open, all currently released games work on 4.1.0 too.

question

im only getting a switch for pokemon

when pokemon comes out, if i then homebrew it so i can use checkpoint and PKHeX, i shouldnt ever have to update the switch again right?

my 3ds has HB on it as well, and its been almost a year and i havent had to update yet i can still battle and trade online

so the same should be for the switch right? you only need to update the switch to the latest version for that specific game, then not anymore after right?

I suspect you will have to update sooner or later to use any online functionality or game updates which come at a later date. However if you don't want to update your Lets Go Pokemon game or go online i don't see why you would need to update.

The Switch and the Switch Homebrew scene is in its infancy compared to the 3DS. The 3DS has only the other day got it's first firmware update since last September, where as the Switch is getting firmware updates frequently.

2 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

I suspect you will have to update sooner or later to use any online functionality or game updates which come at a later date. However if you don't want to update your Lets Go Pokemon game or go online i don't see why you would need to update.

The Switch and the Switch Homebrew scene is in its infancy compared to the 3DS. The 3DS has only the other day got it's first firmware update since last September, where as the Switch is getting firmware updates frequently.

so it will probably be best to just update as needed until pokemon comes out (to maintain online play), then hb when ready

1 hour ago, phact said:

so it will probably be best to just update as needed until pokemon comes out (to maintain online play), then hb when ready

I don't personally see any downside in doing so at this point. Anyone who owns a Switch today has a Switch which is hackable indefinitely.

I suspect I will update sooner or later, i'm just keeping my options open for now as the games I own don't really have any online functionality.