A beginner's question on PKHeX

Excuse me, guys. It's my first time ever using PKHeX, so I'm a real beginner when it comes to editing Pokémon. I know nothing about how it works and if it can actually damage my save file somehow. Bad Eggs gave me a hell of a bad time when I was a kid, and I don't feel like running into them anymore.

I was trying to get an event Treecko through a .pk3 file via PKHeX a couple hours ago and I realized it says there that the game which the Treecko was received in is Ruby, when mine is Emerald. Is there any problem to change this info? Would that make my Pokémon less legal?

22 hours ago, windwakemeupinside said:

Pkhex shouldn't damage your save file. 

As for your Treeko event, I think that certain event pokemon in gen 3 force a certain game to be the origin, regardless of the game it was received in. So yeah, that might have an effect on legality. 

Oh... Well, I thought it'd be due to Emerald's release date, but it doesn't seem to have something to do with that (?). When the Treecko event was held, Emerald version had already been released in Japan, so it could be obtained just fine in these games as well (according to Bulbapedia).

I tried to check some other files yesterday to see which game they would display as that specific Pokémon's origin. It turned out that all of them are set to Ruby for some reason. It doesn't sound humanly possible to me that all these Pokémon were caught by the same Japanese guy back in the early 2000s so their data could get straight into a save editor tho. That's why I thought there would be no problem if I changed it to Emerald. 

On 5/31/2018 at 12:58 AM, thalypikachu said:

Oh... Well, I thought it'd be due to Emerald's release date, but it doesn't seem to have something to do with that (?). When the Treecko event was held, Emerald version had already been released in Japan, so it could be obtained just fine in these games as well (according to Bulbapedia).

I tried to check some other files yesterday to see which game they would display as that specific Pokémon's origin. It turned out that all of them are set to Ruby for some reason. It doesn't sound humanly possible to me that all these Pokémon were caught by the same Japanese guy back in the early 2000s so their data could get straight into a save editor tho. That's why I thought there would be no problem if I changed it to Emerald. 

In theory, you are correct. In practice, it's a bit wonkier than that. The old event carts would generate the pokemon, but for some reason would set the origin game to Ruby. Try and set it in Pkhex to Emerald, Pkhex should automatically tell you if it's one of those specific "ruby" events or not. The legality checker is a godsend and will usually give you a good guideline as to what is legal or not. 

• Speechless 1

5 hours ago, windwakemeupinside said:

The old event carts would generate the pokemon, but for some reason would set the origin game to Ruby.

This indeed happens.

The data structure was preplanned, (moves, origin game, species), and only some details were generated on the spot (items, PID, nature, OT gender).

this also happens to majority of Gen 4 events too. They probably left the origin game static, because.. Nobody can see it so it doesn't matter? XD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1