Managing GB/GBC Saves: Using The Hyperkin SmartBoy

This method of backing up your GB/GBC cartridges saves involves a device called the Hyperkin SmartBoy. This is a relatively inexpensive device that allows you to play your cartridge Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on your Android Smart Phone. Because of this, the SmartBoy can be used to Backup your saves from your GB/GBC games.

1. Install the SmartBoy app from the Google Play store and plug your device into the SmartBoy. If the SmartBoy app does not automatically open, open the app manually (it should look like this).
1.png

2. Insert your GB/GBC game into the cartridge slot on the back of the SmartBoy and wait for the "Loading complete" text to appear.
2.png

3. Take your device out of the SmartBoy and either plug your device into a computer or navigate through the device's file browser to the "HyperkinSmartboySerial" folder.
3.png

4. Open the "HyperkinSmartboySerial" folder and inside should be your save labeled "smartboy.sav".

5. MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FILE BEFORE USING OR EDITING IT WITH ANY SAVE EDITORS.

4.png

View full tutorial

• 1 year later...
On 5/13/2018 at 2:40 PM, NinFanBoyFTW said:

This method of backing up your GB/GBC cartridges saves involves a device called the Hyperkin SmartBoy. This is a relatively inexpensive device that allows you to play your cartridge Gameboy and Gameboy Color games on your Android Smart Phone. Because of this, the SmartBoy can be used to Backup your saves from your GB/GBC games.

I'm sorry to necro this thread, but I need your assistance. I know the Hyperkin SmartBoy can backup saves from a real cartridge, but can it write/restore saves to that same cartridge? For instance, could I take the save file extracted from this tutorial, edit it, replace it, and then have those effects take place next game? I ask because I'd want to buy a Hyperkin for this purpose and if I cannot do this, I'd have to spend much more on a Joey.

Edited by Reclaimer Shawn